Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Coolant Reservoir '99 996 (follow Up)

Hey why did you replace the tank etc? Did you notice leaking or running hot? If so after you did it, did you notice any difference temp wise? I added the gt3 cooler to my car but it was still running hot and always suspected the cap/tank leaking problemo. thanks. Sean

Hey Ninerguru, I can't seem to get to the web page? Is the link working, or is it just me? :(

Edit: Who knows, now I can find the page. Darn computer @*&%#$%#%.

Thanks. Great page and info. This is crisis #2 with my newly acquired 99' C2.

Dean

Edited by Flakarter

• 1 month later...

Hi, can someone tell me how hard it is to replace the coolant tank, on a 1-5 scale (5 being hardest), and about how long it will probably take for someone who is a plodder (slow and careful), rather than a quick wrench.

Are any parts needed, other than the new coolant tank?

I read where someone was told by the dealer that the motor had to be removed. But from looking at Ninerguru's site, that doesn't seem necessary.

Lastly, does everyone buy their OEM parts from their local dealer, or is there a cheaper source for OEM parts. I checked out many online parts sites (which all appear to use World Pac as a source), and the tank is not available. The local dealer said $234.86 for the tank. Not that bad (unless you consider it is solid plastic).

Thanks. :thumbup:

Dean

• Admin
Hi, can someone tell me how hard it is to replace the coolant tank, on a 1-5 scale (5 being hardest), and about how long it will probably take for someone who is a plodder (slow and careful), rather than a quick wrench.
I would say about a 2.5 on your scale. Not difficult -- just takes a little time to pull everything away. I think average time is about 1 hour. Have a look at Lou's DIY that's pretty much the job.

Not really, but you should look closely at the hoses and clamps. If you catch the coolant (and your container is clean) you can reuse it - but to be on the safe side perhaps a liter of coolant. You will mix that 50-50 with water and 2 liters should be plenty to top up with.

Lastly, does everyone buy their OEM parts from their local dealer, or is there a cheaper source for OEM parts. I checked out many online parts sites (which all appear to use World Pac as a source), and the tank is not available. The local dealer said $234.86 for the tank. Not that bad (unless you consider it is solid plastic).
I would try Sunset Porsche in Oregon they sell at dealer cost plus 10%.

• 1 year later...

The coolant reservoir in my 99 C2 has started to leak. After reading the instructions I feel i should be able to do it myself. Is there an improved reservoir for the later years? What's the procedure for bleeding/purging the coolant system after refilling? Thanks.

• Admin
The coolant reservoir in my 99 C2 has started to leak.  After reading the instructions I feel i should be able to do it myself.  Is there an improved reservoir for the later years?  What's the procedure for bleeding/purging the coolant system after refilling?  Thanks.

The latest part number for a MY99 car is: 996 106 147 56 with a retail price of $255.79. Newer cars use yet a different tank.

To bleed the air out of the system the system lift up on the purge valve and leave it open for a few days topping up the tank as needed. When the level has stopped changing then close the valve again (this shouldn't hurt anything as the Cup cars run with the valve open all the time).

bleed.gif

I read where someone was told by the dealer that the motor had to be removed.  But from looking at Ninerguru's site, that doesn't seem necessary.

Lastly, does everyone buy their OEM parts from their local dealer, or is there a cheaper source for OEM parts.  I checked out many online parts sites (which all appear to use World Pac as a source), and the tank is not available.  The local dealer said $234.86 for the tank.  Not that bad (unless you consider it is solid plastic).

Thanks.  :thumbup:

Dean

Its not that difficult, though I would say it would take a slow plodder up a to a few hours. Luckily you have an older car with a smaller tank that is about 10 times easier to remove.

I would get a new tank and a new cap to be safe, though its not necessary.

You DEFINATELY do not need to remove the engine to replace the coolant tank. Warranty doesnt pay for that so neither should you.

Good luck, make sure to tighten those fuel lines when you go back together.

Edited by PTEC

• 5 months later...

I was able to take out the tank but somehow i cant put back the new one in.

I feel totally stupid because I did take it out. It makes no sense that i can't put it back in.

What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Thx.

Frustrated..

I read where someone was told by the dealer that the motor had to be removed.  But from looking at Ninerguru's site, that doesn't seem necessary.

Lastly, does everyone buy their OEM parts from their local dealer, or is there a cheaper source for OEM parts.  I checked out many online parts sites (which all appear to use World Pac as a source), and the tank is not available.  The local dealer said $234.86 for the tank.  Not that bad (unless you consider it is solid plastic).

Thanks.   :thumbup:

Dean

Its not that difficult, though I would say it would take a slow plodder up a to a few hours. Luckily you have an older car with a smaller tank that is about 10 times easier to remove.

I would get a new tank and a new cap to be safe, though its not necessary.

You DEFINATELY do not need to remove the engine to replace the coolant tank. Warranty doesnt pay for that so neither should you.

Good luck, make sure to tighten those fuel lines when you go back together.