Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am trying to plan ahead for my upcoming 60000 mile maint. and it looks like quite a few of the things you can do yourself - ie. replace polyrib belt, spark plugs, etc..

has anyone ever done this one (60000 mile check) themselves? and if not what was the cost at a shop?

If I do these myself, how hard will the above items be, and what other items need to be looked at? I have printed out the list under the maint checklists already.

thanks.

capt601

I am trying to plan ahead for my upcoming 60000 mile maint. and it looks like quite a few of the things you can do yourself - ie. replace polyrib belt, spark plugs, etc..

has anyone ever done this one (60000 mile check) themselves? and if not what was the cost at a shop?

If I do these myself, how hard will the above items be, and what other items need to be looked at? I have printed out the list under the maint checklists already.

thanks.

capt601

I just did my 60k miles service while also replacing my RMS, IMS, and clutch...

The service is very easy. A lot of it is visual...The most tedious part will be the sparkplugs but your car needs some TLC too!!(check my thread on rennlist)

The poly-rib belt is easy!

-Keith

thanks for the reply. I read your write-up over at rennlist and I was amazed at everything you did. The polyrib belt seems to be pretty easy, but the fuel filter appears to be a little tricky. Is it a pain removing the panels underneath to get access to it? and once there is it as easy as you describe to get access to the filter? the rest of the 60K check seems to be just visual checks of the other items?

thanks again!

thanks for the reply. I read your write-up over at rennlist and I was amazed at everything you did. The polyrib belt seems to be pretty easy, but the fuel filter appears to be a little tricky. Is it a pain removing the panels underneath to get access to it? and once there is it as easy as you describe to get access to the filter? the rest of the 60K check seems to be just visual checks of the other items?

thanks again!

The underbody panels are easy to get off...There are just a bunch of (i think 10mm) bolts holding it up. The only thing you want to watch for is that you can still get the panel off and access to the bolts in the area that you use to put you jack stands...

The fuel filter isn't THAT bad if you dont reuse the old clip. I was cussing the old clip and just opted for tie-straps. To reach the filter can be difficult. It kind of depends on how big your arm is...My arm was starting to scrape just as i reached the filter. If if you cant reach it with your arm, you can push or pull it with a long screw driver poking up between the lines...

Dont be affraid! It might take you a little time but it will save you money and you will learn! REMEMBER to keep all your receipts. No one will take you word for it that it was done without documentation!

-keith

thanks gator911,

which clip are you referring to on the fuel filter? is there one holding it up in place, that you have to remove after you disconnect the rapid-action couplings (step 3 in the DIY)?

also, one dumb question - how much fuel ends up coming out when you disconnect? Is there a check valve in the line to prevent you from draining your whole tank on yourself, while you have it disconnected?

thanks again

capt601

thanks gator911,

which clip are you referring to on the fuel filter? is there one holding it up in place, that you have to remove after you disconnect the rapid-action couplings (step 3 in the DIY)?

also, one dumb question - how much fuel ends up coming out when you disconnect? Is there a check valve in the line to prevent you from draining your whole tank on yourself, while you have it disconnected?

thanks again

capt601

The clip, actually a worm gear clamp, holds the fuel filter in place...There are also the 2 disconnects, one on each side of the filter, for the fuel lines.

A good amount of fuel will come out. Definitely have some rags and/or a drain bucket. It's always fun when fuel runs down your arm and burns your little armpit hairs!

The tank will not drain itself, the only fuel that comes out is the fuel that is in the line...

-Keith

A good amount of fuel will come out. Definitely have some rags and/or a drain bucket. It's always fun when fuel runs down your arm and burns your little armpit hairs!

I used to have exactly the same problem with my 928 .... seemed the gas tank was going to empty itself on the garage floor, or up my sleeve.

If found a great little flexible line clamp .... sort of a metal clothes pin that latches in the clamped position, pinching off a flexible line. Is the 996 line "pinchable"?

From memory, I remember no more than 1/2 cup of liquid. I did not see much, if any, fuel from the lines. Mostly from the filter body. I just got a medium size wide/flat tupperware type bottom under the filter, and simply put the filter there after removing.

Can't remember what I did with the container afterwards though... Hope I cleaned it before sneaking it back to the kitchen withouth my wife seeing me.....

From memory, I remember no more than 1/2 cup of liquid. I did not see much, if any, fuel from the lines. Mostly from the filter body. I just got a medium size wide/flat tupperware type bottom under the filter, and simply put the filter there after removing.

Can't remember what I did with the container afterwards though... Hope I cleaned it before sneaking it back to the kitchen withouth my wife seeing me.....

Oh its not a temendous amount, less then a Qt....It just burns, and doesnt fall in one place. That is why i suggest a larger container to cover a bigger area...

Look at it this way; it's enough fuel to fill that filter, and a tad extra from the lines...

Is your car a C4 or C2 ? If it's a C4, then on my car (99) the fuel filter is strapped to the coolant tank in the engine bay ... So if you have a C4, make sure it's not their first before removing all the under panels ! :-)