Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire Purchase--Coopers?

The standard cheap P-car tire is from Kumho. The better but still reasonable is a Goodyear.

Wander over to www.tirerack.com and look around.

Kumhos are a great tire for the price. I have the P-zero on now, but next time its Kumhos all around. Esp after driving my friend's boxster with them and mine with P-zero in normal use there is almost no difference. Could tell the grip was better in hard corning on P-Zero, but wasnt a huge issue.

When someone is trying to save the most money, the standard rcommendation I see is to mount Kumhos. Irrespective of the N rating or not, it isn't a bad tire for most normal driving.

Next up in price I see recommended are Goodyear.

My personal preference is Michelin Ribs or PS2s but they are top of the $$$ list.

As I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum - I had Kumho's on my 01 when I purchased it in March w/ 50% treadlife remaining....and although I cannot speak about Kumho's handling brand new, I thought they sucked *** for the month I had them. Just had them replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1...couldn't be happier.

I thought w/ the Kumho's the Boxster felt like a car on stilts in the rain.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put Kumhos on my 99 Boxster. Not a complaint here, but I cannot speak for the performance of the summer only tires.

I replaced the Fuzion ZRIs (75% worn) with these - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...R&minLoad=S

Living in Kentucky, there's a lot of weather variations on a daily basis, so I decided to go with all seasons. We'll see how they do in the snow later on this year.

sparky

When I bought my car it had the original Michelin Pilot Sports and they were terrible but that could've been because they had 12k miles on them and were 4 years old. I have since replaced them with the Goodyear F1's and for the first 500-1000 miles the high performance traction was pretty disappointing. Ever since I got past the 1000 mile mark they keep getting better and better and I am now impressed. Keep in mind they have a 280 treadwear rating and you can get much better tires for dry traction, but for everyday driving and a couple autocrosses they have been quite good. Regarding the Cooper tires you refer to my friend has them on his M3 and once he got past the "break in" period of 500-1000 miles he has been very happy with them in regards to performance driving.

I put on the Kumho's about 2 months after I bought the car the Pzeros on it were really worn. The Kumhos have been pretty good, not great. They are currently ready for replacement on the rears after about 11k miles. The fronts are still fine.

I had kumhos on my 3 series, they were ok, but I now have the Michelin Pilots XGT?, their all season tire, and they are WAY better. Better in wet and dry, and much better wear.

As always, get the best tires you can afford. I will get the Pilot sports here in the near future for the Boxster.

new to the porsche world but I'm very curious with your guys tire wear.

Does wasting tires at 15K and less come from excessive burn-outs or very agressive driving or is it just the soft compounds on the often recommended tires on here.

I often buy tires for my saab turbos and tend to get 20-30% more then what is recommended. Should I expect that due to my driving habits or am I going to be wasting a set of tires every summer?

thanks.

shawn