Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Labor to install new gearbox?

• Admin
I believe it would be more like 8 hours.  That is what it took for my boxster.

IMHO I think you were over-charged. To do a RMS you need to drop the tranny and I know they can do that in under 2 hours. There is no difference - just installing a different transmission and a test drive.

To do a RMS you need to drop the tranny and I know they can do that in under 2 hours. There is no difference - just installing a different transmission and a test drive.

Hi,

RMS takes longer, because you have to take the flywheel off. 2 hours seems unrealistic. I've seen it done in the factory in Stuttgart and at a Porsche dealership, both times it took about 4-5 hours, and they charge you about 6 hours.

As for the gearbox, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. When I was in Stuttgart before X-mas, they told me that GETRAG (who make the gearbox) will start selling reconditioned gearboxes soon, which will make replacement a lot cheaper.

Cheers,

Uwe

Edited by umn

• Moderators

There is the book labor rate and then how long it takes an experienced mechanic to do the work.

I watched Peter take everything out for a seal replacement on a Boxster. Once the flywheel was out and I could see the leak from the seal I had to leave. I was less than 2 hours.