Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

burning oil == new engine?

Hi, my 02' C4 Cab has been burning a lot of oil.

My Porsche service center after monitoring the situation for a while has determined I need a new engine. Fortunately i'm still under warranty.

Is this a good thing for me or a bad thing? Any down side to a new engine?

Thanks

Good thing to have fresh engine with new warranty.

Bad thing that numbers won't match so collectors won't like it as much in 25-30 years. Keep the swap paperwork and pass it on if/when you sell it. It will be an historically accurate, common fix - not a mistreated blown engine.

I put in a liter of oil each time I fill up for gas now (its been getting worse), so approximately every 400 km.

How about you?

MM

Hi,

Good for you as you'll have a brand new engine.

I also have a 10/02 C4 Cab, could you let me know what do you mean by burning a lot of oil as I usually pu a lot in it too.

Thanks,

JC

I have a 99 C2, never had to add oil between changes, which is 4-6 months depending on number of track events. I use the Mobil 1 0-40 October-April, Castrol Syntec 5-50 rest of year.

A liter every fill up is simply wrong, something must be missing and the oil is going somewhere... Just my view.

I have a 99 C2, never had to add oil between changes, which is 4-6 months depending on number of track events. I use the Mobil 1 0-40 October-April, Castrol Syntec 5-50 rest of year.

A liter every fill up is simply wrong, something must be missing and the oil is going somewhere... Just my view.

Well the Porsche mechanic cannot find a leak anywhere, and says the RMS is fine. They feel it is burning this much oil.

However, I have just found out that Porsche does not want to replace my engine yet. They want to continue to monitor for ongoing oil consumption. My warranty ends in 3 months. I'm starting to feel that they are stalling until off warranty. Not very impressed.

Yesterday was driving and my oil failure indicator went on. The oil level was a couple bars below full even though it was completely topped up about 4 days ago at the dealership. I added a quarter liter.

I agree something is very wrong hear. Any suggestions??

MM

You should pull the spark plugs and they will tell you which cylinder(s) is the problem. They should all look clean and dry with a brown to light tan coloring, any sooty, oily black or darker plug will pinpoint that is the offending cylinder. Compression rings can still be good and the oil rings bad or possibly a failed valve guide seal. Check your tail pipe as well for a sticky black residue. Normal combustion results in a dry grey to a little black but usually rather clean. With that much oil being consumed someone following you closely should be able to see your exhaust smoke under acceleration, especially at night.

I would ask them to run a compression check on each cylinder. This should tell if you have rings leaking or worse a slipped cylinder liner.

Well there is definately black residue in the tail pipes, and the tail pipes are pretty much brand new (< 1000 km since I changed to a sport exhaust).

They are continuing to evaluate the situation.

MM

If you want to support your case, take it back to the dealer everytime it needs oil. If you're topping it off they dont have any accurate measure of how much its burning.

Yes I am doing that. Unfortunately I get oil failure indicator lights coming on at random times as well so I feel it necessary to add a little oil just in case so I don't ruin the engine.

Hopefully they will resolve the problem soon one way or another.

Ok, so after evaluating my car for a week they have concluded the problem was the oil separator. They have changed the oil separator and say the problem is fixed.

My question is, can anyone explain to me how changing the oil separator would stop my car from using 1 liter of oil every 500 km, plus stop the oil failure indicator light going on even when oil levels are ok???

I really beleive there is more of a problem.

Only two more months on warranty.. Stall tactics??

Thanks

MM

Hi, only recently joined this forum.

I have 2003 996 C4 cab. Burning oil too but not as much as chap above. What is an oil separator??

Based in southern Spain with very little speed traps hence car is driven "rather well". I am using 1 litre/quart every month.<1,000Kms/month. (Car only done 22,000 kms.)

Fortunately still have 5 months of warranty left. I am still going to get it checked though.

Cheers

Robbie

Ok, so after evaluating my car for a week they have concluded the problem was the oil separator. They have changed the oil separator and say the problem is fixed.

My question is, can anyone explain to me how changing the oil separator would stop my car from using 1 liter of oil every 500 km, plus stop the oil failure indicator light going on even when oil levels are ok???

I really beleive there is more of a problem.

Only two more months on warranty.. Stall tactics??

Thanks

MM

Hi MM

If you buy an extended warranty from Porsche, your engine will still be covered and replaced if it lets go. If it works the same way as the UK extended warranty, you just need to apply before your factory warranty runs out and no vehicle checks are required. So go for the extended warranty (irrespective of whether the separator fixed the oil consumption problem or not). Broken engines are then Porsche's problem and all you have to do is relax and enjoy driving the car like you stole it!!

Ian W

Put it up ramp today at Marbella Official Porsche Centre. Mechanic happy there are no leaks and has suggested that as I am not exceeding 1.5 Litres oil per 1,000Km, then this is within normal tolerance.

Only suggestion offered is that they change oil at next service to a slightly "thicker" grade, which I note has been suggested elsewhere on this forum.

Comments please?

Izzy,

Su Espanol es muy bien!

In typical Spanish style as there was no leak coming from the engine underneath I got a simple shrug of shoulders by the mechanic, and told everything was OK.

Not quite sure how far to push it now. I am open to suggestions. Fortunately the service manager's English is better than my Spanish....

Next service is not until next summer based on the mileage I am doing..

So far so good. New oil separator and have not dropped a bar in about 500 km.

No oil failure indicator lights either.

Here's hoping my oil consumption problem has been solved.

I still plan on getting 3 year extended warranty before my out of service dat.

MM