Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 front bumper on 986

As the front bumper has some scratches and plastic damage, I'm considering a replacement. Spending $1000++ is not an option, but I think the 99-01 996 front bumper would looks like a nice improvement on the Boxster (Can't say that the stock bumper looks very aggressive).

Is it plug and play, or do I need some additional plastic? Plastic clips, radiator ducts etc?

• Moderators

There are a few local 2.5 owners with 996 bumper covers. When the front of my 1997 got hit a few years ago I considered it, but I like the looks of the Boxster cover better.

It is a direct fit but get one for a non tiptronic 996.

This is Peter Smith's 1999. His car was also hit in the front. In fact, the body shop that put the 996 cover on was the same body shop I used.

post-4-1159383176_thumb.jpg

Yep, it is completely plug-and-play. You might want to get a few spare plastic clips, in case one or two break. I think there are fewer than 10 of them, holding the wheel well liners in place. As Jeff says, you will want the non-tiptronic version of the 996 bumper so that there is no open hole in the center (it should be black plastic where the hole would otherwise be). That's what I got, although I later cut out the center bezel section when I installed the center radiator.

Before cutting center out:

8779161_dff62ac538.jpg

link

After cutting center out and installing center radiator:

214112248_7652763799.jpg

link

I later cut out the center bezel section when I installed the center radiator.

I'm curious, (about to be a dead cat?) but why the third radiator? That must have been quite a project!

Nah, try do a search. A third radiator isn't too difficult to install by the looks of things.

• 2 weeks later...
The cooler for a Boxster tip is on the transmission. On a 996 tip it is in the front.

Your profile says you have a Boxster S. So you would use a 996 tip cover because you have a third coolant radiator in the front.

Have the same setup (2001 Boxster S)... had a Hummer with a trailer hitch back into me when parked and left a 3" long scratch and 1/4" depression in the front bumper cover.

Do you have the part # for the above-mentioned 996 tip cover?

Is the 996 cover larger, i.e., lower to the ground than the 996?

Any idea where/how i can compare dimensions and appearances?

Thanks for your help!

post-9937-1160593364_thumb.jpgpost-9937-1160593399_thumb.jpg

Here comes some rain on your parade...I wouldnt invest any money on upgrading the looks of the boxster...when you can afford it, just lease or purchase a 996...there about 40k and sometimes alittle less.

Not sure why you replied with a suggestion on how to spend money... has not been an issue in this thread.

After researching the parts, your idea of saving money by not using 996 parts is inaccurate. Check both Pelican and PAP and you will find the 996 cover #996-505-311-04-G2X (996 Carrera 2/4 99-01) is up to $150 less expensive than the Boxster cover #986-505-311-04-G2X (986 Boxster S 00-02... picture attached is non S version).

If I wanted a 996, I would have purchased or leased a 996. I wanted a 986.

What quite a few proud Porsche owners appreciate is the subtle design and engineering differences - yet interchangeability - of components between certain models and from year to year. As other Forum Members have noted, owning a Boxster is mostly about fun. Part of the fun, as exemplified by the numerous mods and hacks out there, including your '986' badge in lieu of 'Boxster', is refining, improving, adjusting, developing your own vehicle to suit your needs and preferences.

Moving on... for those interested in exploring this change, front bumper grilles may be needed with the 996 cover part listed above... for 996 with Tip the part # is 996-505-553-05-01C (at $66.50, 986S grille is $170).