Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Early 996 and engine fails

I have a 2000 996 with 45,000 miles on it. It is currently on it's third Porsche Authorized motor which has 6,000 miles on it. It is currently at a Porsche dealer for an engine oil leak and am afraid it is the RMS. Will find out tomorrow. I bought the car used, last year and knew about the three engines, but felt pretty confident that by now the RMS/shaft problem would have been solved as the third motor was put in the car in 2003.

Scary to think that an $80,000 car needs a new motor every 10,000 miles. Oh and by the way, the current motor is out of warranty, by time only and dealer already said they can't help me with that. Tomorrow will find out details.

don't be frightened...

Buy a good warranty. It's good insurance.

Bought a C4 4 months ago as I did not want to pay for the 02+ model, but I had to have a good warranty.

Love the car and I am haapy to have it :drive: and I don't have to worry until 09'

You can get real good deals on the 99-01 models because of articles like this. I think that's the 5th one I have read on it.

Edited by evansaero

Probably jinxing myself here but what the hay. I've got almost 110k miles on my 99C2. It does have a small oil leak (looks like cam cover gasket). Had to replace a coolant hose that failed abruptly as well as a serpentine belt that was eaten when the Stealer botched the reinstall of the coolant hose repair and didn't tighten the alternator properly. Also recently replaced the water pump that shredded itself about the 106k mile mark. *knocking on wood*

I bought a '99 6-SPD Coupe with only ~36,000 mi. in June of this year. Was looking hard for a 993 but gave up as $ for them are more than an early 996. Clean car, never tracked. It was an early build, delivered ~ May '98. So, according to the odds, I may have more than a few strikes against me. I only have a few wet spotsaround the Variocam housings, nothing hits the floor.

I still am a bit weary of what could happen. If/when it leaks I hope to be only looking at the ~$20+ seal and the labor to drop the transmission and reinstall it. I would think the chances of the "re-seal" lasting might be pretty good. Assuming the casting was not one of the "bad" ones.

What perplexes me is why some 996's are requiring multiple engine replacements. You would think a "new" engine (w/upgraded casting) would pretty much solve the issue. Maybe it depends on the "source" of the engine. I would think if it was directly from Porsche that they would provide it with any enhancements learned throughout the years.

I have a 99C2 that had an RMS leak fixed at 38K miles. The clutch needed to be replaced as well so the timing there was perfect. Also had an oil separator leak that was fixed at 36K miles. I drive it pretty hard when I autocross. Currently at 40K miles so far no other worries. B)

2000 C4, nothing wrong with the engine at 45,000 miles, had to replace recently both air con condensers due to a leak in one of them (the initial quick fix of regassing the system proved futile) but otherwise hardly anything to complain about. The pleasure I get from driving it and showing off in it is immense!

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 2002 C2 with 125,000 miles. I'm having serious engine problems and I was told that even though I could get it fixed, I'd probably be better off selling the car or getting a new engine . . .

My last car was a VW Golf with 230,000 miles on it. It ran great . . .

b-man

And when we go to Le-mans they scream the guts out of them for 24 hrs & very few break down. No thats not a high miliage thing but still all other makes have engine troubles apart from the audi

Yea, but they don't go to Le Mans with a regular 996 engine... They go with the block in the GT3, which is far from the same engine.