Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'01 Boxster, Cabrio Top Vinyl Window Repair/Replacement

Thanks a LOT for the additional pictures. The fabric looks like stock to me. The crease around the window does look a little strange, but it's probably due to the way it has to fold. One thing that looks different than the GAHH and BAS is the molding around the window. The Robbins is flat fabric. The GAHH has plastic molding that sticks out a fair amount and looks like it will collect dirt. The BAS has a thick rubber surround. The defroster lines look good. It seems the window molding is the tell-tale way to determine which of the 3 tops I'm looking at when I see one in real life or try to determine who is selling what.

Hi all,

I know it has been a long time since anyone wrote in this thread, but the subject is still of interest, up to date and important for soft top owners.

The seams that hold the plastic rear window on my 2001 Boxster, broke and I now have it held by black duck tape! Needless to say it does not look so good and some water gets in...

To put a new plastic window they tell me they have to remove the top! and that will cost me the same whether I put a new top or I just fix the window! so I was thinking that I could buy one of the three tops above and replace the one I have now and as I do that, fix the plastic window on the old one and keep it in case of emergency...

Having said that, I am also not sure of whether to get the plastic one again, which will seem huge and will be very clear for a while or the glass one, which is smaller and I'm not sure how well it will last and how easy it will be to open the back in service mode to access the engine.

Mee, what did you do in the end? Which one did you choose?

The GAHH seems a bit cheaper and they say it brings some extra parts:

These tops are as close to OEM as you'll get Anywhere... Anytime

Defroster harness is included with this top along with installation instructions and new OEM right and

left "clamping rails" and "sliders"

(Porsche recommends replacement as these pieces will more times than not break during disassembly)

But not sure if that is important or not...

The Robbins one says:

Heat-sealed into top. Must reuse two OE metal plates with springs at front quarters. Headliner not offered. Made with improved side tension cables.

But I've heard good things about the Robbins too.

I need to make a decision soon and I'm a bit lost!

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

If you have the most basic DIY skills you can have the entire frame/top off in 30 minutes, put in a pickup and take to your repair shop like I did...

Hi RSFeller,

Thanks very much for responding so quickly.

I am a bit surprised to hear you say that, though! Particularly for putting it all back together!.

I think I am quite good with DIY stuff, total

http://www.porschaforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3278

I am quite scared to taking it out myself, I have to say...

Any other options??

If you have the most basic DIY skills you can have the entire frame/top off in 30 minutes, put in a pickup and take to your repair shop like I did...

Hi RSFeller,

Thanks very much for responding so quickly.

I am a bit surprised to hear you say that, though! Particularly for putting it all back together!.

I think I am quite good with DIY stuff, total

http://www.porschaforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3278

I am quite scared to taking it out myself, I have to say...

Any other options??

Eduardo:

I think you may be misunderstanding what Shawn (RSFeller) is referring to.

He is talking about removing the entire top WITH the frame assembly as one unit, not separating the top canvas from the frame.

As he said, the process for removing the entire top with frame assembly takes less than 30 minutes. You can then take the entire thing to a shop to have a new window sewn in. Re-installing the complete top and frame assembly takes about the same amount of time.

Do a search here and you will find the complete procedure. I posted it again a few days ago.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

You are absolutely right! I had misunderstood him.

The only problem is that the upholstery people I can find here (Cayman Islands) say that they need to stitch it with a machine and that the canvas needs to be out completely in order to do that! And to remove the whole thing, I think I might as well change the top and put a new one with the famous glass window, so that it never gets dark and doen not crease or fold incorrectly. I just don't know if may be that is silly and I should put the normal top with the plastic window on.

I feel confused. I wish I was in mainland US and could simply go somewhere and see the different options...

The Porsche dealer here is going to charge me a lot for changing the top! (removing one and fitting the other one).

Decisions, decisions!!

Hi Maurice,

The only problem is that the upholstery people I can find here (Cayman Islands) say that they need to stitch it with a machine and that the canvas needs to be out completely in order to do that! And to remove the whole thing, I think I might as well change the top and put a new one with the famous glass window, so that it never gets dark and doen not crease or fold incorrectly. I just don't know if may be that is silly and I should put the normal top with the plastic window on.

I feel confused. I wish I was in mainland US and could simply go somewhere and see the different options...

The Porsche dealer here is going to charge me a lot for changing the top! (removing one and fitting the other one).

Decisions, decisions!!

If you need to save a dollar and you keep your top down 85% of the time like I do here is the project.

1. take frame off car (again 30 minutes tops)

2. Take top to a guy who will hand stitch the window like my guy did

3. Put top frame back on in 15 minutes. Everything lines up perfect, no way to go wrong.

Yes the hand sewn is not as perfect as machine but NOBODY notices on my car and since my car sits the garage all year with the top down and only goes out on sunny days, no biggy for me. It's there to keep rain off me in a rare occurance.

Hi Maurice,

Decisions, decisions!!

Eduardo:

I agree with Shawn. Since you are in the Cayman Islands, there must be some local boat canvas places with a couple of old time craftsmen who can sew just about anything. You can buy the vinyl on eBay or from Juniinc who sells the kits and it probably won't cost you more than two or three hundred dollars total.

Then, when that vinyl window wears out you can replace the entire top. I am sure that the rest of your top is still in decent shape.

The version of the DIY that you provided a link to has no photos, so if you haven't done it before it won't make a lot of sense.

Take a look at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages for an illustrated DIY on how to replace the entire top, here: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

If you need more photos or explanation of a specific step, let me know and I will see what I can dig up.

Regards, Maurice.