Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'01 Boxster, Cabrio Top Vinyl Window Repair/Replacement

Hi All,

I have an '01 Boxster and the vinyl window on the covertible top folded up wrong and cracked a few days ago. I don't really want to replace the whole top right now as it would be rather costly and somewhat wasteful. Short of that, what is the best way to repair or replace that vinyl window? I really hate to get boxed into replacing the whole cabrio top since the rest of it is in excellent shape. I would rather find a good way to repair the current one. It seems like it shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix this but I can't seem to find anyone who has any good details on repairing/replacing one.

Is there anything I can do myself to fix it? Any suggestions or comments would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

PS> If it would help to see a picture of the damage just let me know. Right now the hole in the window is about a quarter to a half an inch long on the left side of the vinyl window.

Edited by bmblack34

It seems like it shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix this but I can't seem to find anyone who has any good details on repairing/replacing one.

Is there anything I can do myself to fix it? Any suggestions or comments would be extremely helpful.

you have 4 options:

1. find an upholstery shop that repairs conv top windows and have them sew in a new window for you. cost is approx $300-500. ask your local dealer who they use.

2. buy a new aftermarket top for ~$500. this is a good option since it costs roughly the same to have a new window sewn in. you can also get the top fabric in your choice of color. for example, my car is Ocean Blue, so when my rear window cracked after 9 years, i ordered a blue aftermarket top instead of the standard black. keep in mind that if you don't know how to install the new top yourself, it will cost another $500-$1000 to have it professionally installed.

3. eBay has DIY soft top rear window kits that you sew in yourself. ~$100 for these. i've never seen a boxster top with one of these windows, but i can't imagine it looks too good. but, i may be wrong. ;)

4. you can end the soft top window problems forever if you replace the whole top with a glass-window top from GAHH or another manufacturer. these tops are made for both pre-2003 and 2003-on boxsters. the convertible top frame is different between the pre/post 2003 cars, but luckily they have both. cost is about $1000 for the top with glass window, and maybe another $700-$1000 to install professionally. many people like these tops. i think the glass window is a little small for my liking, but it's worth checking into.

the fifth option is to buy a whole new top from Porsche for $2K+, but you said you didn't want to do this. personally, i would go with option 1 or 2 (or 4).

Thanks for the info! Your post was incredibly helpful.

I found a really good deal on a new set of canvas on ebay. There is a guy on there selling pre-2003 canvas sets for $390 Buy-It-Now. I may end up going that route since it seems the best option and most affordable at the moment. Tomorrow I will give a few upolstery shops a call though and see what they have to say about it.

I couldn't find any of the DIY repair kits you were talking about though. Just to satisfy my curiosity, do you know where I could find one of those online? I would like to see what that is all about.

If money were no object at the moment I would just slap one of those Zeintech hard tops on it for the remainder of the winter! :D

Thanks for the info! Your post was incredibly helpful.

I found a really good deal on a new set of canvas on ebay. There is a guy on there selling pre-2003 canvas sets for $390 Buy-It-Now. I may end up going that route since it seems the best option and most affordable at the moment. Tomorrow I will give a few upolstery shops a call though and see what they have to say about it.

I couldn't find any of the DIY repair kits you were talking about though. Just to satisfy my curiosity, do you know where I could find one of those online? I would like to see what that is all about.

If money were no object at the moment I would just slap one of those Zeintech hard tops on it for the remainder of the winter! :D

I got the same problem you do and the fact my fabric is 100% just frustrates me to replace the entire top. Mine cracked in 65F weather and it didn't even crack where the plastic was white from other creases...it just ripped in an odd place. I would be really pissed too if you pick the wrong discount installer and get a crap install job. paying $1000 for a new top install is somewhat cheap but rather expensive for a cut rear window and a car with a good top!

I haven't had it done yet but I did speak with my boat canvas guy last week. He didn't even cough at the request since I explained you can unhook the rear of the window assembly (engine maintance mode). He said if he hand sews it in he can do the over/under sticking with that type of access. He claims some convertible designers are far harder. He also is quoting me about $200 for marine grade isenglass. Why so cheap? Becuase I live in the midwest in rural Ohio!

Before those of you who have far more money then me or are Porsche mega-purists thumb your noses at me, you ought to see the fix job he did on my boat camper top two years ago. amazing work at any price, a true artist!

Lastly I have the auto up/down top module. Although this module rocks for getting caught in poor weather but I don't recommend blindly just hitting "open" and driving away w/o see what crease may be developing in the wrong place. my damage was done before I had time to notice.

Shawn

Edited by rsfeller

I forgot to mentiom I'm in the UK & the cost of a replacement plastic window to be supplied & fitted is only slightly cheaper than the Robbins Glass window replacement roof.

There seems to be more of BAS & GAHH roofs over here but I like the look (of what pictures I have seen) of the Robbins version. That's why I would like to see some more pictures

• Moderators

There was a guy on ebay selling a plastic window kit for various cars such as Miata, Z3, and the Boxster. Have not seen it on ebay for a while.

In my area we have a plastic stuff chain store called TAP Plastics. They sell the window stuff by the foot. A guy on Pelican hand sewed in a new window. The stiches looked a little rough, but it was temp fix.

post-4-1162402011_thumb.jpg

Well...

Here is the latest. I found a new cavas top on ebay (with the plastic window) for about $390. It isn't a bad deal at all, but I decided to cover my bases well and just look into having an upolstery shop repair my current top.

So this afternoon I drove my car over to a shop recommended to me by a trusted source and suprisingly they said it wasn't that difficult of a fix. They quoted me $165 (parts & labor) to replace the vinyl window provided that they don't run into any crazy trouble removing the canvas from the frame.

I am still undecided if this is the route I wish to go. Quite frankly, it sounds too good to be true, but might turn out to be a good option until I can afford to put the glass window top in.

Either way, I think the next step in sleuthing this one out is to determine the difficulty of removing/installing the canvas on the cabrio top.

Does anyone out there have or know of some detailed instructions on removing or install the canvas tops on a Boxster?

I would like to determine if this is a DIY project or something that I need a pro to do. From the forums I have read, there are tons of recommendations for both and I am still trying to get to the bottom of it. Even if it is a pro-only project, I would still like to know the details of the job so I can have a good idea of what professional installation should cost.

$165 to take off the canvas, replace the window and re-install? Sounds too good to be true. My insurance paid $500 labor to replace the top. GAHH charges about $450-500 for labor alone. Dealer is about $800-1000 for labor. Looks complicated too me. I would leave it to the pro's

Before those of you who have far more money then me or are Porsche mega-purists thumb your noses at me, you ought to see the fix job he did on my boat camper top two years ago. amazing work at any price, a true artist!

Plenty of owner drivers out here who dont want or have money to throw away man. Not sure many would admit to that though! Chill yer boots.

Lastly I have the auto up/down top module. Although this module rocks for getting caught in poor weather but I don't recommend blindly just hitting "open" and driving away w/o see what crease may be developing in the wrong place. my damage was done before I had time to notice.

Which auto module do you have?

I'm thinking of getting one, which is best/easiest/cheapest?

$165 to take off the canvas, replace the window and re-install? Sounds too good to be true. My insurance paid $500 labor to replace the top. GAHH charges about $450-500 for labor alone. Dealer is about $800-1000 for labor. Looks complicated too me. I would leave it to the pro's

Just out of interest, How long have you had the top fitted?

Thanks a LOT for the additional pictures. The fabric looks like stock to me. The crease around the window does look a little strange, but it's probably due to the way it has to fold. One thing that looks different than the GAHH and BAS is the molding around the window. The Robbins is flat fabric. The GAHH has plastic molding that sticks out a fair amount and looks like it will collect dirt. The BAS has a thick rubber surround. The defroster lines look good. It seems the window molding is the tell-tale way to determine which of the 3 tops I'm looking at when I see one in real life or try to determine who is selling what.

Plenty of owner drivers out here who dont want or have money to throw away man. Not sure many would admit to that though! Chill yer boots.

Which auto module do you have?

I'm thinking of getting one, which is best/easiest/cheapest?

ha! tell me to chill my boots and then ask me a question, good one! you know exactly the purists i'm taking about...

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/index.p...cts&jump=23

not cheap but it rocks. the first time i had to pull my e-brake and put up the top at a light only to have it take to long...i knew i needed this!

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting an older topic, but does anyone know the difference between the A5 (OEM) canvas and Haartz Sonnendeck (Twillfast) material? I need to get a new top now, and the Sonnendeck is a little cheaper - although I think it would probably be better to get the original A5 canvas.

Any opinions or comments?

Also, has anyone done business with topsonline.com (eBay user) - they sell both the A5 and Haartz materials ($695 and $625 respectively plus $30 shipping), both with glass window (made by Robbins Auto Top)? I can fit it myself, so don't need an installer - just the best price on the parts!

Thanks!

Shash