Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Self leveling headlights?

Hi,

My vehicle does not have self leveling headlights, but if I would buy a set what parts would I need? The headlights also have the washer nozzles.

Is the wiring in place already?

The car is an early 99 996.

Thanks in advance.

ps.

I tried the search but didn't find an answer..if it's there sorry in advance :)

Loren, I have factory Litronics on my 2002 C4S.

But I don't think they are self-leveling...?

Aren't self-leveling lights supposed to self-check (flick up-down) a little when they are first turned on?

Mine doesn't do that, but my BMW 540i's self-leveling Xenons did that.

Are you sure it's not an option?

Aren't self-leveling lights supposed to self-check (flick up-down) a little when they are first turned on?

Interesting question about the way they auto test on activation-how about it loren-??

• Admin
When the ignition is switched on, the servomotors for HBA are set to the minimal position and subsequently returned to the initial position.

Note: When high beam is activated, the servomotors are set to high-beam position only if the parking light is switched on.

The min, max and middle positions can be tested with a PST2 along with sensor voltage, supply voltages and speed (measured by the ABS sensors).

The PST2 can also calibrate the HBA.

If you have Bi-Xenons, they are only available as self-leveling. They are easy to test. Park on a level surface at night. Turn you lights off and then back on again. They should track up an down to reset when you first turn them on, independant of the leveling sensor. There is a leveling sensor that is mounted above the front lower control arm on the driver's side. There is an arm that extends from the sensor actuator to the lower control arm. As the control arm moves up and down, it changes the pivot of the actuator and the signal to the pivot motor in the headlight assemblies.

• Admin
I don't have Bi-Xenons, just the standard Litronics.

And just as I thought, I don't have the self-leveling option.

So self-leveling wasn't standard on Litronics then, at least not for my year.

The only lights available in MY02 were standard Halogen (H7 and H9 bulbs) or Bi-Xenon (D2S).

Only the Bi-Xenon had self leveling (or as Porsche calls it "Dynamic automatic beam angle adjustment" - AHBA).

The dynamic beam angle adjustment for the Bi-Xenon system equates to the unit fitted into Carrera and Boxster models (986/996) and 911 Turbo since model year '99.

The system is a major contribution to road traffic safety. Automatic correction of the beam angle when the load on the car changes or during pitching movements of the car caused by braking and accelerating reliably prevents dazzling of oncoming traffic and improves road surface illumination on braking.

Loren, as stated earlier, I'm familiar with self-leveling headlights, it was on my 540i.

According to what you said, I should go look under my car to see if there is actually a level sensor on the control arm (I've seen that on my 540i as well).

The reason why I thought mine is not Bi-Xenon, is coz' my hi-beams seem yellowish compared to my low beams. Unless that's how they are. And also, when I turn on my lights, they do not do the self-check.

Do you know if Bi-Xenons were standard on my 02 C4S?

If so, Maybe something is wrong with my self-leveling sensor.