Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 TT - start up smoke

mack

I recall that when I purcahsed a new 993 it would (and still does) give a puff of white/bluish smoke on start up every once in a while...was told by the dealer that it is normal and I see from various postings that this topic continues to raise questions with 'boxer' style engines. The TT had just 5 miles on it when I picked it up and it now has 200 miles of careful break in - not exceeding 4200 RPMs per the owner's manual. The TT gave its first 'puff' today on start up...can anyone confirm that this continues to be a 'no cost' feature on the later cars, i.e. 996 and 997 cars? Thanks!

Mack, this is usually a none issue. How long was the car sitting since your last drive? Good job following the proper break-in process.

Thanks for the reply - car sat overnight after a 100 mile run in the countryside. I've spent the last hour going through PCA tech articles and am comforted that this symptom is rather common, it's just that the 997TT is too new to have postings of the same concern. I have great mechanical sympathy for all things mechanical, and painful as it is to not drive it in a 'spirited' fashion yet, if that's what Porsche says to do, I'm doing it. I did some some tech articles in PCA where the contributing editors did express some concern that a more aggressive break-in (higher rpms in small doses when fully warm) might be a better thing....I guess this topic like all others can be debated endlessly.

• 1 month later...
Mack, this is usually a none issue. How long was the car sitting since your last drive? Good job following the proper break-in process.

Thanks for the reply - car sat overnight after a 100 mile run in the countryside. I've spent the last hour going through PCA tech articles and am comforted that this symptom is rather common, it's just that the 997TT is too new to have postings of the same concern. I have great mechanical sympathy for all things mechanical, and painful as it is to not drive it in a 'spirited' fashion yet, if that's what Porsche says to do, I'm doing it. I did some some tech articles in PCA where the contributing editors did express some concern that a more aggressive break-in (higher rpms in small doses when fully warm) might be a better thing....I guess this topic like all others can be debated endlessly.

This is normal. Happens to all the cars over at our dealership if you leave them sitting for several days without starting. I believe it is just oil that collects in your exhaust. Maybe Im wrong, but I do know that I have been assured this is normal. Hope this help, congrats on the new car.

• 2 weeks later...
I recall that when I purcahsed a new 993 it would (and still does) give a puff of white/bluish smoke on start up every once in a while...was told by the dealer that it is normal and I see from various postings that this topic continues to raise questions with 'boxer' style engines. The TT had just 5 miles on it when I picked it up and it now has 200 miles of careful break in - not exceeding 4200 RPMs per the owner's manual. The TT gave its first 'puff' today on start up...can anyone confirm that this continues to be a 'no cost' feature on the later cars, i.e. 996 and 997 cars? Thanks!

New member here and glad to chime in. Both my 986 and 997 TT do that quite often. although it is sometimes embarrassing, I think it is normal. the 986 has 68k miles and the TT just passed 10k miles.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I had a serious smoke problem on my 997 TT recently. When i used to leave the car overnight, When I used to start the car up in the morning, it used to have smoke coming out of the right hand exhaust. The exhaust would carry on smoking until the engine had warmed up properly. When I spoke ti Porsche, they initiaslly said this was normal, but it didn't feel right, so when I asked the service centre to check it they found oil in one of the turbos. They asked Porsche for a press car, and compared the turbos in that to mine, and found the turbos on the press car to be dry, so they replaced the turbo on my car. The car had just over 1,000 miles on the clock.

The car stopped smoking when the engine reached running temperature. Now the turbo's replaced, I havent noticed any problems yet, and the car si working perfectly

I have just put my 997TT back into Porsche as it started smoking again from the right hand exhaust pipe.

They pulled off one of the pipes and 150ml of came out they reckon, They're really not sure whats causing this problem, but there's a lot of smoke coming out of the car until it reaches about 90 degrees running temperature.

Hopefully I will get some more info tomorrow. There's only 3000km on the clock, and they've just replaced the turbo, so there has to be leak somewhere that they aren't seeing

• 2 years later...
I have just put my 997TT back into Porsche as it started smoking again from the right hand exhaust pipe.

They pulled off one of the pipes and 150ml of came out they reckon, They're really not sure whats causing this problem, but there's a lot of smoke coming out of the car until it reaches about 90 degrees running temperature.

Hopefully I will get some more info tomorrow. There's only 3000km on the clock, and they've just replaced the turbo, so there has to be leak somewhere that they aren't seeing

Hi there im having a similar problem with a997tt,did you get to the bottom of it??????

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My 2006 TT does this after a run in hot weather and when you park it tail down. The greater the slope, the more smoke it makes. Very embarrassing, when you fill the whole parking space at a restaurant up with smelly grey smoke. Wilson

Hi !

Fill your engine with the new Mobil 5W-50 oil.

No more smoke on my 997 turbo on startup.

Edited by arjanh