Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shifter Assembly for 996GT3

Part #986 424 010 03

What models does this assembly fit? Is it EVERY one of the 996 line?

I currently have a B&M shifter in my car and decided to order a new entire assembly (part# above) so I can just remove the entire assembly that has the B&M SSK in the car (4 bolts and 2 cables) and pass along to another owner. I love the B&M on the street but HATE it on the track thus the reason for my switch.

I just want to make sure when I remove the assembly that is in the car right now that I have the right 996 models that it will fit into so anybody that wants the B&M SSK will be able to (1) fit it in their car properly and (2) make it easier so there is no destruction of their original assembly.

Thanks!

I assume 97-04 Boxster "includes" 996 as well? I do NOT see any 996 other than 01-05 TT and 04GT3.

wrljet.....VERY notchy and difficult to make the 2-3 transistion especially under lateral g's.

Edited by LVDell

So then the assembly application is EXACTLY as you posted the picture of nothing more nothing less? Only reason I ask is that it appears that the B&M SSK itself is for ALL 986, 996, and the 05 997 models. I guess the stocky assembly that holds the shifter is what is different.

97-04 Boxster

01-05 996TT

04-05(?) 996GT3

I just want to make sure that whomever I give this assembly with the B&M SSK already in place gets the right part.

• Admin

I do not know the differences. Jeff (Tool Pants) and I have looked at many of these and we can not see anything different. If there are differences they are very subtle. Together we have likely installed several dozen B&M SSK kits and they have worked on all versions of the factory base shifter.

O.K., so I just installed the new shifter assembly (986 424 010 03) and removed my factory assembly that the B&M SSK was installed into. Well, guess what the part number stamped on this one is? 996 424 010 04!

What in the world is going on here?

So I am guessing they are ALL the same assembly with different numbers? So confused.

• Moderators

Porsche is always playing around with part numbers.

Looks like the GT3 is using the same shift as the 5 speed Boxster, 996 turbo, and who knows what else.

On those 3 examples there should be the green plate that you need to remove for a B&M install. That green plate has a 986 part number on it. My picture of the plate is not good since you can barely see the 986 number on it due to the flash.

If you remove the plate then there is a 996 part number under the plate. So the shift housing has a 986 part number when the green plate is present, and a 996 part number without the plate. Other than that the housing is the same.

post-4-1165725377_thumb.jpg

The unit that I removed from the car did NOT have the green plate which I assume was removed by the previous owner's installer putting in the B&M SSK. On my new assembly, I didn't even think to remove the green plate and verify the part number beneath it. I did take the "word" of the sticker that was on the assembly that had the 986 part number.

So, whatta ya think? The assembly I removed with the 996 424 010 04 part number is one that is the same in all 9X6/7 cars? I know that the B&M SSK part number applied to all those models according to the B&M website. So who do you think I can give the assembly to in confidence it will fit?

Here is a pic of the one I removed. You can see the 996 part number.

post-315-1165753992_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

What is in your picture will work in the 986 Boxster and the 996 line of cars. By the way, the set screw is installed in the rear bushing in your pic, not the front, but it does not matter.

I do not know if it will go in 987/997 because I have not tried to do this. I think it would because one of the guys took the 987/987 factory short shift and put it in a 986. The 4 bolts for the assembly line up not matter what year or model.

I do not know if it will go in 987/997 because I have not tried to do this. I think it would because one of the guys took the 987/987 factory short shift and put it in a 986. The 4 bolts for the assembly line up not matter what year or model.

I put the 997 short shifter in my 2001 Boxster without any problems. It came preinstalled in the housing, is NOT the same as the B&M.l If you search my past posts you can find more details. The 4 holes where the bolts go through to hold the shifter assembly matched perfectly. There seemed to be a few differences in the housing, but overall I couldn't tell anything functional, just where the plastic was thicker or not. I have had absolutely no problems.

When I first put it in, it seemed like the throw was much shorter, although it felt smooth like the stock shifter. I measured the reduction at about 25%. I could still shift with one finger. Now that I've driven with it for a year, it feels totally normal

So, anybody think that the assembly that came out of my 2004 GT3 will work in a 2003 C2? The part number is the one that ends in 04 but as Loren noted that is for the 99-02 cars. I am so confused and do NOT want to give this to another person without knowing if it will fit first.

Edited by LVDell

• 3 weeks later...