Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

head light replacement

my brother has a 98 boxster, we went to change headlight on drivers side, low beam. and the left light is still way brighter then the right, we took it apart and both bulbs look fine and we checkd the fuses i could only find high beam fuse, they were all ok any ideas?

• Admin

Try a little patience please... it is a busy time of year for everyone...

Take the headlight out and checked that the connector part that stays in the car (when the headlight is out). See if it has any bent pins -- or that a pin (or two) has come loose and is not connecting?

does anyone know of a forum where you can get answers from?

LOL! and i thought *i* was impatient! :clapping:

to begin with, let's use common terms. driver's side and passenger's side. left and right depends on your vantage point. you also haven't mentioned if these lights are Litronics (Xenon) or standard halogens. i'll assume halogens.

do all the other lights in the driver's side headlight assembly work? are they as bright as the passenger side lights?

have you tried swapping the new bulb to the passenger's side to see if it is a bad bulb? it happens...

have you tried re-seating the driver's side headlight? sometimes when putting it back in, the pins don't connect exactly right, as Loren suggested.

what brand bulb did you use? is it a 55w H7 bulb? if you use a bulb of higher wattage, it can melt the headlight lens, and they are not cheap. if you used the wrong size bulb, then it could work the way you describe or not at all.

details!

Edited by Chris_in_NH

Low beam is higher in light fixture than high beam.

Could you have changed the wrong one? The owner's manual isn't the clearest on this point.

This can help or it m ight just be another experience to tell people. During my modification of doing the "daylight running" light I extracted the #9 fuse which is for the light to see if that indeed disable the lights. It did not, the driver's side look normal as far as brightness and the passenger side look very dim. There could be another fuse I don't know, I am not one to say I am an electrical guru when I plug the fuse back into #9 they both look normal. I finished that daytime running light hack and both side look normal now.

Ben

• 6 months later...
During my modification of doing the "daylight running" light I extracted the #9 fuse which is for the light to see if that indeed disable the lights. It did not, the driver's side look normal as far as brightness and the passenger side look very dim. There could be another fuse I don't know, I am not one to say I am an electrical guru when I plug the fuse back into #9 they both look normal. I finished that daytime running light hack and both side look normal now.

I just tried the DRL hack less than 20 minutes ago - it gives you full strength low beams whenever the key is on

(which I did not want - I wanted the fogs to be on or half-strength beams). Anyway, when I removed this unwanted

mod I found that my passenger side headlamp was very dim because the stupid Radio Shack fuse taps stretched

out the fuse terminals on the bottom of fuse #9 so far that it no longer makes contact without re-inserting the fuse

tap piece. I hope this will be ok - seems to be. I sure dont want to have to replace the fuse panel!

Edited by 986fan