Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation Maps

• 4 weeks later...
Porsche says buy them Navteq -- Navteq says buy them from Porsche. :rolleyes:

My advice would be to go the company that you paid the most money to (Porsche) and tell them they need to provide you with a solution.

Any news? I contacted with the local porsche dealer here in Athens and I didnt get any answers...

• 2 months later...

go to the navteq page and enter in your location and car and it will tell you the correct version of the map. probably 2004 as porsche and navteq do not work well together to update them.

go to this page and "change the store" to your country and it should work.

Navtek- Us

The PET lists (for non US cars) 5 sets of PCM2 CD Navigation Discs.

These are:

"European cars" - 996 642 030 02 (there are older 00 and 01 versions of this and they are out of date - as part numbers are superseded the last digits go up)

"South Africa cars" - 996 642 034 02 (there is an older 01 version)

"Arab States and Saudi Arabia cars" - 996 642 035 01

"Australia cars" - 996 642 036 02 (there is an older 01 version)

"Thailand and M074 cars (?!?)" - 996 642 037 02 (there is an older 01 version)

I have no idea what an M074 car is, it is not defined in the PET.

I think therefore the only discs available will be the 996 642 030 0x discs. I have version '00' and version '02' of these discs. In the UK at least the 00 is way way out of date, and the '02' is way out of date (even when it came out). The version 02 can only be used with PCM2 with OS 3.0 (press Main and Trip together). I will have a look at my '02' version and see what it has on it in respect of Greece tonight - never scrolled the map that far!!!

What part number do you have on your discs at the moment? It should be on the disc itself or the carrier with the various discs in?

The current generation PCM 2.1 has only just started to include parts of Europe such as Greece , so you will probably need a MAP update from late 2005 if not early 2006. Navteq and Teleatlas (Navshop.com) have the OEM map market sewn up , so one or other will supply Porsche the map disks. I remember reading of a guy that could mod the PCM 1 to allow a GM/ Vauxhall Navteq disk to be read on the Porsche unit. I think the company was satnavsystems.co.uk. If you have the PCM 2.1 with the external DVD unit then there is a software update that will allow you to use the map DVD's produced after 2004 on your PCM. I've no experience with the PCM 2 so dont know if its any different to the PCM2.1 other than the front panel.

Had a look at all 4 of my 996 642 030 02 discs, they do not cover Greece.... Sorry. I even put them in the PCM2 to see if they even covered it at all even at high level, but nothing doing...

I think you are stuck, unless someone has access to a more up to date PET than the one one the porsche website which may show some other discs.

Michael.

Advertised on E Bay at the moment are nav disks for a 996 look here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-911-996-PCM-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number: 200100984090

Part Number: 996 642 133 06.

Contact the seller ref details. If you need help with an upgrade i have the version 3 software for the PCM 2 purchased in error.

Edited by berty987

The seller has an 02 996 , michael has an 03 Are you suggesting the PCM in the 996 was originally a PCM 1 and changed on model year 2003 to PCM 2 ? If not , then i'd argue these disks may well work. The part number listed is for one of the Cd's for great britain and not the whole set .The part number is applicable from chassis number 991S6 03524 to 991S6 42489. If the car that Michael has falls between the two chassis numbers then it should work on the system.

Take a look at this thread, i think it answers all your questions and may well give you the opportunity to use a cheaper map source :

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13578

There is also an upgrade disk available for the PCM2 to take it to version 3. Around 2001 DX coded maps started to become available for most nav systems , these allowed for additional info such as TMC to operate. This may well be the difference between PCM1 and 2 regarding the map type , so a DX coded vauxhall /opel Cd may well do the trick. Best to talk with one of the suggested suppliers before spending out.

Edited by berty987

RJN is correct to say that the advertised disc is PCM1. The 996 started with PCM1. MY03 (and later) 996s got PCM2. As far as I know the two systems are not compatible at all and cannot share maps. So I think, after a lot of research, the only hope is for Porsche to release new maps in PCM2 (v3) format.