Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turbo Bumper Suggestion

Porsche turbo bumper question

I have a 1999 C4 Cab. A little more than 2 years ago, I replaced the front bumper with a turbo style bumper. It is made of fiberglass so there are some surface imperfections associated with that. I can live with that for now. The problem I have is that the air intakes do not mate up with the rubber air inlets behind the bumper. This causes less than sufficient air flow to get to the radiators. So, my question is, what solution have others employed to solve this problem? – By the way, I would like correct this problem the car runs hotter than it used to before – not much but certainly noticeable. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there i have just finished my conversions on my 996 C2. I fit a turbo front bumper & yes the rubber duct is not as big as the opening in the turbo item, but it is as big as it was before. If yours is like mine it utilises mesh front guards instead of the genuine slatted grill. I wondered if mine would suffer from overheating in summer due to bad airflow through the mesh. I posted some pics of my conversion the other week on the general area of the forum.

post-8661-1169065954_thumb.jpg

Could you post some pics? I would think there would be plenty of air getting to the radiators. The only duct work I know of is to cool the brakes, not the radiators as the openings are right in front of the radiators. The mesh does cut airflow, especially the dense mesh it looks like you have in your pic. This will probably not affect you unless you plan on tracking the car. I also have mesh, but much less dense.

post-4605-1169314225_thumb.jpg

The problem is in air pressure. That is what the ducts are in place to accomlish. Without proper sealing, the airflow is not adequately pressurized. I'd also strongly suggest, assuming it wasn't done when fitting the new bumper, that the radiators be separated from the A/C condensors and both cleaned with an air hose. You'll be shocked at what gets embedded in there, even between the two.

As a solution, have you tried ordering the ducts from a turbo car and installing them?

• 1 year later...

You can use the turbo bumper grilles and the C4S centre grill. The air ducts need to be modified inorder for them to fit perfect. To do this you need a pair of Turbo radiator airducts and a pair of the standard air ducts. You then need to cut the standard C2/C4 duct which meets up with turbo bumper holes and plastic weld the turbo ones on. You'll notice when looking at the ducts look like they are made from 2 pieces (i.e. the solid plastic bit which fits on the radiators and a flimsy almost rubbery bit which contours the bumper air vents), you need to cut the flimsy part off standard and turbo ducts and then plastic weld the turbo flimsy bits on to the standard C2/C4 solid plastic part of the duct.

Edited by 996GT2