Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Warm up is a process that takes some 10 mins (depending on climes, of course), however on startup i tend to wait for around 3 mins when the engine revs drop below the 1k mark. It's a noticeable drop which can be easily heard. After that, its just a simple matter of keeping things smooth and easy until the motor/oil reaches temperature.

Regards

Popolou

Edited by Popolou

Not sure what it says in your manual (and might I suggest that you check that as well :) ) but my GT3 manual states to NOT let the car warm up idle, instead drive off immediately keeping revs below 4K till engine fully warm.

Edited by LVDell

Not sure what it says in your manual (and might I suggest that you check that as well :) ) but my GT3 manual states to NOT let the car warm up idle, instead drive off immediately keeping revs below 4K till engine fully warm.

I agree with LVDell. Better for the car, the enviroment, and your pocketbook.

My MY99 C2 Manual when started shows the oil pressure quite high which makes me think it is distributing the oil through the engine automatically. Think that makes sense with the manula statement of not to warm the engine on idle and drive right away.

Back in the days of carburetors with chokes (and heavy single weight summer oils in cold climates) it may have been beneficial to sit and idle to let the engine warm up a bit before driving off as some carbureted cars had terrible drivability when cold but what is accomplished by warming up a modern fuel injection engine with multi weight oil by sitting and idling?

Once operating oil pressure is achieved (about 2 seconds and we have the benefit of an oil pressure gauge instead of an idiot light) it’s time to go; all that is needed is to be light on the throttle and no high rpm (no heavy loads) until the engine oil is up to operating temperature (we also have the benefit of an engine oil temperature gauge).

If all is working properly with your modern fuel injection engine there should be no drivability problems from cold and the engine will warm to operating temperature much quicker by simply driving off after engine start-up as will other components like the gearbox, transaxle, differential, transfer case, tires etc that get little to no benefit reaching operating temperature by simply sitting and idling.

Again, all I ask is what is accomplished by sitting and letting the engine idle? If you are having trouble with drivability when cold there is either something wrong with your car or your driving technique.

Edited by Truculent

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings:

I let the water temp rise to 175 and the oil to 200 before going over 3000 rpm... after that anything goes. The normal water temp is 175-180 and an oil temp on 200 to 225is dependent upon the outside temp. Anyway, I have also been told to start and just drive away. One would think after the first 2000 mile period, everything should be ready for a little red line once in a while. The part I like the best is when you shift at a little higher rpm and when the variable valve timing is at work. Boy it's just like a sling shot...what car!

Larry 2006 C2S Carrera White, coupe, sand beige interior...my dream car

San Diego, North County

• 2 weeks later...
How long till you warm up your car? Is it a must or is it ok just to drive away once on?

My 997 S manual states ( under starting procedures ) :

...When starting the engine, be ready to drive IMMEDIATELY.Drive the engine at moderate speeds and avoid speeds above 4200 rpm during the first five minutes.

..Do NOT let the engine idle to warm up.

• 4 weeks later...