Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Schnell Exhaust Manifold

Anyone here had experience or are using Schnell headers on their Boxster/911? Basicly this is the first modification I'm having on my 99 Boxster S, just want to find out if its a worthwhile upgrade? These headers are priced fairly reasonable. Mandrel bent stainless steel and TIG welds all good. But do they really give you an edge over the stock manifold on the Boxster?

While we are at it, can anyone confirm that cat bypass pipes or an aftermarket muffler will not make much of a difference in hp on a Boxster while a set of aftermarket headers yield good power gain?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by panameras

A 99' Boxster S? are you sure it's an S? I thought they start the upgrade on 2000 and up....

Im pretty sure its an S (6spd, 911 brakes and etc). Built date was Oct 99 but is a 2000 model in Porsche calender year.

Convention is to refer to the car by it's model year, as Porsche did when they built it and sold it.

Edited by blue2000s

A waste of $ IMHO

What are you trying to accomplish and how many mods are you willing to spend for to get there?

You want power: increase air intake efficiency, optimize air/fuel mixture (chip), improve exhaust scavenging (headers+cats+mufflers). Doing only one is generally a waste of $. Doing them all gets you somewhere but costs big $$$$. The $ per HP gained is outta sight.

Buy an S instead may be the more effective answer. Or buy a 2000 base with a blown engine and drop in a 3.4 from a 996 in a junkyard.

My opinion

Thanks for the feedback.

My car is an S as you can read from above. i will be spending most money on improving the handling side of the car. but i do want a little more go and sound. from what i have gathered so far is that aftermarket headers will yield most gain (second to ecu flash) in comparison to cat bypass and muffler which do not give you any advantage other than soundl. thats why im thinking just get headers and evo intake for performance and sound. concerntrate the rest on suspension and brakes.

A waste of $ IMHO

What are you trying to accomplish and how many mods are you willing to spend for to get there?

You want power: increase air intake efficiency, optimize air/fuel mixture (chip), improve exhaust scavenging (headers+cats+mufflers). Doing only one is generally a waste of $. Doing them all gets you somewhere but costs big $$$$. The $ per HP gained is outta sight.

Buy an S instead may be the more effective answer. Or buy a 2000 base with a blown engine and drop in a 3.4 from a 996 in a junkyard.

My opinion

Edited by panameras

• 2 weeks later...
How much are they?

I had FVD headers, sport cats and a remapped DME installed on my 01S. The work was done by my dealer. The reason for doing the upgrade was more for enhanced exhaust sound than performance. Out the door the cost was $5,700 or so. I also had a PSE installed several years earlier. Another $2,000.

RESULTS: The sound is fabulous, so my 1st goal was achieved albeit at a handsome price. As far as performance I feel the car is more responsive but I really didn't notice much other than that. But, that wasn't my goal in the 1st place. At last my Boxster sounds like a PORSCHE albeit at a handsome price. Would I do it again, no question, I would as long as I had the cash to do it right.