Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hard top catch broken

(1999 Boxster)

This morning, I was going to remove my hard top. When I pushed the passenger side latch lever forward, there was a faint pop sound and the lever moved way too easily.

After some inspection, I found that although the lever moves (easily), the post that goes into the spin lock doesn't appear to be rotating. This means that I cannot remove the hard top.

So I have some questions:

(1) In PET it seems like the part I will need to replace is 986.563.404.02 "catch". However, there is another part number (900.067.378.09 pan-head screw micro-self-locking). Is that a screw that goes down into the catch from the top? (I can't tell from the picture and I cannot remove the hard top for closer inspection) Is it something I might need?

(2) Does anyone have any tips for removing the hard top given that the latch on the right side is in the latched position and the lever does not unlatch it? There is a very small amount of space where I can see the silver post that is supposed to spin. I think the space is too small for pliers. Perhaps there is some way to remove the latch from the hard top or the spinlock from the car with the hard top in place?

(3) Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

Duh. I just realized that if I can't remove the top then the bolt can't be simply broken. Perhaps there is some mechanism that connects the lever to the bolt.

Any insight from anyone who has seen the mechanism up close would be appreciated.

I have found and fixed the problem. As I suspected, the problem was that the mechanism connecting the lever and the post was broken. It turns out that there is a pin that goes through the two to transmit the torque from the lever to the post.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The remnants of the broken pin is circled:

hardtopleverbrokenla5.jpg

Here is the piece of the pin that was left in the lever. I'm a bit surprised that it was hollow.

hardtopleverbrokenpinop5.jpg

To fix it, I had to squeeze the two parts together (because there is a wavy washer that pushes out on the lever) so that the holes lined up then hammer in a nail

hardtopleverbrokensqueeek7.jpg

I put it back in and turned it and the nail broke. So I put in a bigger, stronger nail (the biggest that would fit in the hole). I also lubed the spinlock mechanism. Now it is all as smooth as butter and works perfectly.

• 5 months later...

I have just got a 2003 Boxster S and I also bought a hard-top (it didn't have one before). My fitting broke in exactly the same way, so I very much doubt we are the only people to have this problem. Is this the only hard-top fitting mechanism, or is there an alternative? (For example, I've also got a Toyota MR2 with a hard-top and the rear fittings on that are more like the front latch on the Boxsters roof - a much better method of attachment). Meanwhile, I'm currently waiting for a new part to be delivered to fix it.

One comment though - I wouldn't suggest using a drill-bit. That would be made from hardened steel which is great for drilling but will tend to make the metal more brittle than mild steel (that's why drill-bits often break if you exert a bending force on them) and thus makes them not good for this purpose.

• 9 years later...
On 14/02/2007 at 0:23 AM, Stefan said:

I have found and fixed the problem. As I suspected, the problem was that the mechanism connecting the lever and the post was broken. It turns out that there is a pin that goes through the two to transmit the torque from the lever to the post.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The remnants of the broken pin is circled:

hardtopleverbrokenla5.jpg

Here is the piece of the pin that was left in the lever. I'm a bit surprised that it was hollow.

hardtopleverbrokenpinop5.jpg

To fix it, I had to squeeze the two parts together (because there is a wavy washer that pushes out on the lever) so that the holes lined up then hammer in a nail

hardtopleverbrokensqueeek7.jpg

I put it back in and turned it and the nail broke. So I put in a bigger, stronger nail (the biggest that would fit in the hole). I also lubed the spinlock mechanism. Now it is all as smooth as butter and works perfectly.

I'm having the same problem but I can't work out how to get the top off the car? I suspect the key statement is "Squeeze the parts together"