Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 Instrument Gauge Removal

987 Instrument Gauge Removal

This is not really DIY instruction, but rather some pictures that might help you to remove the gauge. If you wanted to paint the gauge ring... or this Make sure disconnect the battery and pull the steering wheel all the way out before you do this. So the first step is to remove the panel below (I marked it dark red). I heard you can just pull this out easily for 997 or Cayman, but mine(987) refused to come out. Here are some pictures that show how it fit into the dash. The bottom

There is a 997 cluster on ebay. Listed for $179 with a buy it now price of $219. You should do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...9581&rd=1,1

This is something i've always pondered when jumping into the drivers seat. Is it really as simple as R&R the guages and expect the ECU to operate the extra dials?

Now that would be very interesting.

Regards

Popolou

No clue how to swap a 997 cluster into a 987.

But someone will do it sooner or later.

I hope so too, but if you haven't come across it then i think its safe to say its early days yet. Mind you, i'm a little doubtful if there is actually much space either side, unless those 987 dash side trims (either side of the stock guages) are removed prior to fitting.

Cheers

Popolou

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Actually, I'd love to know how you guys got that first plastic piece off. I keep pulling and prying but I can't get it to pop off.

Its tough. Pull it straight towards you. Keep wiggling. You have to have a good grip and pretty strong hands but it does come off. Have steering wheel all the way out and down as far as it will go. Grab that sucker and pull just above the vinyl.

Edited by zedex

• 3 months later...

Actually, the first plastic piece is a bit tricky. It has longer plastic lugs at the top (L&R) which insert down into the dash, and shorter ones at the bottom which go up, so just pulling can just make it hold on tighter. Use something to pull it downwards at the left and right sides until the lugs are clear, then pull outwards. Then push the whole thing directly up which disengages the top lugs, then slide it forwards to remove it as there are 2 longer plastic 'sliders' at the top in the centre. Hope this helps.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I suspect the sensors are already fitted for oil pressure and battery voltage as the 987 has indicator warning lights if either fall below a set value. The question is whether the wiring loom to the existing 987 cluster is a CAN based loom or multi strand. I seem to recall there being some discussion its a CAN based system and the cluster is linked to the rear DME ( ECU) so that clocking the car is not possible by swapping the cluster. I suspect you would need the official PWS tool to re learn a new cluster to the original DME and then configure the cluster as a 911 part,  thus activating the additional inputs on the CANBUS so the additional  gauges were activated. I know the 987 and 997 share the same rear DME this allowed me to retrofit the PSE to my 2005 987 using the signal from the 997 PSE code in the PWS to activate the DME output. As I recall you connect the PWIS to the ECU then tell the PWIS it is a 997 rather than a 987 and use the 997 options menu to activate the additional functions you require. If the 987 and 997 use the same canbus architecture ( ie all the signals are there ) you may be able to simply add the 997 clocks,  but I think it still needs coding to the rear DME