Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HELP: Locked trunk 02 Boxster w/disconnected battery

I have a 2002 Boxster S, and I was recently putting in a new radio. I had disconnected the battery. While I was routing some cable my now ex-girlfriend slammed the hood down (the ensuing argument did not resolve why).

I have tried to connect a battery to the fuse post, but I still can't get the front trunk solenoid to pop (all I get is honking alarm horns). I can't use the key fob since too much time has passed. I believe my model does not have a manual cable to use the screwdriver or pulling something in the wheelwell tricks.

Is there a way to get that solenoid to fire? Or something mechanical I can do?

Thanks.

Thanks, Loren.

I thought the cables were only available on pre-02 boxsters that had mechanical trunk latches, as opposed to electric.

I had previously looked in the wheel well and didn't see a cable. Do I need to pull out the liner?

Thanks.

• Admin

On the later model cars (MY01 and newer) there are actually 3 releases.

The electronic one in the car.

A US law mandated release inside the trunk (in case someone got trapped in there).

And, the emergency mechanical latch release.

If you are lucky you can hook the cable without removing the liner.

Some folks re-route the emergency release to behind the tow hook plug in the front bumper - that way it's easier to get to (if you need to).

When my battery went dead for months (after cracking) I couldnt get into my hoods either. My jump start pack has a power-up option with a cigarette lighter plug. You dont jump it from there, just supply power.

I plugged it in to the plug, and the alarm did fire but then I used the key fob in the door, then by pressing the remote button. It shut the alarm off, then I re-unarmed it and the hood releases were again pull-able.

My last resort was the cable, but if you have access to one of those jump-packs with a cigarette power outlet, try that. I got mine at costco for 40 bucks and it saved me from digging for the cable!

I have the 99 996 with the mechanical release and the front latch jammed...I finally had to take the bumper off to get at the latch...but Loren is right...I ended up re-routing the cable release from the area behind the passenger's side headlamp...and brought it down to the area in front of the tow hook....then attached a black zip tie to it and stuffed the silver wire loop back up under the rubber trim so that only the thin black zip tie is showing...can barely see it but it's easier to just pull the zip tie to drop the wire cable down where you can grab it....a lot easier to get to than fishing around for it thru the side marker light or taking off the wheel lining.