Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Oil. By-pass valve? WTF?

OK, so I'm changing my oil and when I poped out the old filter there is this plastic thing that fits into one end of the filter and has a spring and cap on it. It looks like a anti-drainback valve or oil by-pass valve.

Nothing in all the oil and filter changes talks about this piece, it's not in my bently manual either. What is this thing, is it aftermarket or something?

valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

Tool pants, loren???? Anybody help! I'm stuck right now.

Edited by 986Jim

im running without it right now is that gonna be a problem? I saw tabs in the bottom of the canister for it but it didn't really look like it fit in there to be honest so I have left it out. Maybe I should jack it back up and put that back in the bottom of the filter.

I didn't notice it when I pulled it out of the filter and I didn't wanna install it wrong and block the oil flow and smoke the motor. It was the last thing I was doing after installing my new muffler and painting the calipers. I was tired it just wasn't paying attention. When I went to throw the old filter out there it was..

eshuber was correct. Anybody searching for this in the future, here is some info I have learned through this process.

The oil in a boxster flows out of the engine to the outside of the filter. The oil flows through the filter to the center and back out to the motor from there. If that plug is not in the bottom of the filter plugging it up, the oil will flow to the path of least resistance and go up the center through the bottom and not be filtered.

That valve is to plug the bottom of the filter so it forces the oil to flow through the filter then back to the engine. That valve is a oil by-pass valve which in the unlikely case the filter become totally plugged it will open from the underside like a thermostat and allow the oil to flow up the center from the bottom unfiltered but will not choke the motor from lubrication, dirty or not. It's basically a safety in case something clogs the whole filter up.

Its just press fit into three little feet that are in the bottom of the oil filter canister. It can come apart and in my opinion now, would not be a bad idea to take it out and clean it up and check to make sure it's still together and working.

Edited by 986Jim