Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2007 Box S: rear tire increase to 275/40-18?

Does anyone know if I'll cause [mechanical] problems by replacing the rear 265/40-18 tires with 275/40-18 ( keeping OEM 9" wheel size width)? The 275/40's have a wheel width requirement of 9-11", so I'm OK with that on my stock wheels. I know I'll have to tweak the TPMS. Thanks.

Regards,

paul...

• Moderators

Mechanical probably not, electronically ( ABS TRAC.CONTR. etc. ) on the contrary can give problems because the outline of the orig. front wheels and the transformed rear wheels are perhaps to big.

Does anyone know if I'll cause [mechanical] problems by replacing the rear 265/40-18 tires with 275/40-18 ( keeping OEM 9" wheel size width)? The 275/40's have a wheel width requirement of 9-11", so I'm OK with that on my stock wheels. I know I'll have to tweak the TPMS. Thanks.

Regards,

paul...

Since the diameter of the tires are different, the difference between the two tires traveling 100 miles according to the speedometer and actual would be 101.19545726240287 miles. If this difference is outside of that allowed by the various control units in the car, the upgraded tires would not work because you would get warning lights or failure codes.

Why are you considering changing to a wider tyre ? I doubt you will get better grip, more likely worse grip in the wet. It may also be difficult to get the correct N rated porsche approved tyres in this size.

Thanks everyone for your help -- you all provided good rationale -- I'll stay with the recommended sizes.

berty: I'm really not considering changing to a wider tire -- just trying to match up a specific brand and available sizes.

Regards,

paul...

• Admin

Actually N-spec as defined by Porsche means:

Porsche original equipment tires must successfully pass the tire company’s laboratory tests, road tests and race track evaluations to confirm that the prototype tires meet Porsche’s noise, hydroplaning, handling and high-speed durability requirements. Only upon successful completion of these tests, will tires be released for production.

Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received Porsche’s engineering department’s release can be branded with an N-specification.

So I think it is more of a case that they have to be "Porsche tested - and approved".

Contributing Members can read the Porsche N-Spec fact sheet in the Contributing Members forum.