Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone write DIY for LED conversion?

I ordered some blue bulbs for my instrument cluster, which should be uber easy to change... but I want to change all of the other illumination to blue.

Has anyone done a DIY for this? What LEDs are good to use in which parts? I know the climate control has to come apart... then each of the dash switches, window switches and heated seat switches have to come out.

If there isn't one, I guess I'll have to do it myself!!

I ordered some blue bulbs for my instrument cluster, which should be uber easy to change... but I want to change all of the other illumination to blue.

Has anyone done a DIY for this? What LEDs are good to use in which parts? I know the climate control has to come apart... then each of the dash switches, window switches and heated seat switches have to come out.

If there isn't one, I guess I'll have to do it myself!!

my uncle actually ordered the kit from ebay, it came with about 25-30 leds. We decided not to do it because in order to do it you have to un-solder and re solder the leads. The leads are very small and the circuit board is very small too and you will need a very fine tip along with special solder (solder is about the size of a pen tip) . I have some good experience with soldering, but not at that scale. When I saw it, it did not want to risk ruining the board. I would only recommend it if you have good experience soldering something that small or experience soldering circuit boards. Needless to say the parts were returned.

Edited by boxs2000

I would only do it if i can change the LED's into Medium Red rather than "Rice-Rocket Honda Civic Indiglow Gauge Blue".... Yes thats a color, found it in a box of Crayola's :D

Didn't you just paint your car that Indiglow Blue :thumbup:

LOL Midnite blue!

The interior also in midnite blue but im starting to not like the subtle & Purplish look of the interior so im thinking of repainting it silver. I need some flashiness to make the interior stand out abit more.

Hey, I think even the rice rocket indiglo gauge blue is better than the amber! Amber is the last color I'd choose for interior illumination!

You can always go with white LEDs... but they end up looking a bit bluish.

Anyway, I'm committed to this mod, so I'll be finding the LEDs I need for the climate control and all the little switches... and I'll probably need a soldering iron with a finer tip... and some fine, thin solder. Gonna have to head to the 'Shack soon!

Your right, it would look better than amber but the one thing that may anoy you is the contrast, i speak from experience when it comes to that. I had a 2nd Gen 4G63 and it came with white Indiglo Gauges and on trips longer than 3 minutes at nite on the freeway, they began to hurt or bother my eyes.

Edited by CJ_Boxster

LOL Midnite blue!

The interior also in midnite blue but im starting to not like the subtle & Purplish look of the interior so im thinking of repainting it silver. I need some flashiness to make the interior stand out abit more.

Love that color.... :clapping:

Some color of red is the best color for night use. Dark-room red. It doesn't mess with your eyes. My prior ride was an Acura RSX type S. It had a completely red-lit interior at night. It was very nice, and easy on the eyes.

Some color of red is the best color for night use. Dark-room red. It doesn't mess with your eyes. My prior ride was an Acura RSX type S. It had a completely red-lit interior at night. It was very nice, and easy on the eyes.

LOL thats where i got the Idea from, my buddys RSX type S has red lit interior and i love it.

THWARTED!!!!

For now...

I just got home a while ago, so I decided to remove the gauge cluster and swap in the LED bulbs I got. (Yeah, I got the ones from porscheLEDs.com, just for the cluster, tho) It's THE WRONG STUFF! What I received was 7 LED 'bulbs'. Looked easy! Just take out the old ones and swap in the new!

WRONG

My cluster's illumination is ALL from surface mount LEDs. I'm really not sure if I want to risk messing it up by doing surgery to replace all of them...

Maybe I'll try to find a cluster from a junked car... if I can for cheap... and use it's board... maybe...

But for now, the project is THWARTED!!!

(looked it up, and yeah, Porsche changed the gauge cluster in 01... leaves me limited in my options at this point...)

Edited by FrayAdjacent986