Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine temperature for 986

The engine temperature on my 1999 2.5L Boxster seems to be running a little higher than I remember. It has been running in the 190 F to 200 F range. Does not seem to really matter much as to the outside air temp. Is this normal for the 2.5L? What are some temps other owners normally see their 2.5L run at.

Actually great topic. I have a same questions!!!

I've got Boxster 2.5l and my temp is always around middle of the 180 number. I live in Florida and air temps are around 90 F. When I drive it hard temp is going the end of zero, but never pass it.

I was thinking that my car is overheating so I remove bumper and clean the radiators. Still the same. I had cooling tank replaced 8 months ago. I will try to open the valve to remove maybe more air from the cooling system (if there is any).

Is the temp ok?

How about other owners?

I have a 2000 2.7L. It has for the most part always ran just above 180 (needle just past the "0"). I tried to calculate that to be 187F.

There have been at times that the temp has gone above that spot and only in the past couple of years.

sometimes when I sit in rush hour traffic on a hot day.

AND

when I was low on coolant.

Low on coolant I would have thought would not make a difference, but the temp started rising (to around the 200F mark) and the red indicator light on the Temp gauge started flashing. Again, while I was sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I called my Independent Porsche Mechanic and asked his advise. He said the coolant was low.

I hope that helps.

I have a 2000 2.7L. It has for the most part always ran just above 180 (needle just past the "0"). I tried to calculate that to be 187F.

There have been at times that the temp has gone above that spot and only in the past couple of years.

sometimes when I sit in rush hour traffic on a hot day.

AND

when I was low on coolant.

Low on coolant I would have thought would not make a difference, but the temp started rising (to around the 200F mark) and the red indicator light on the Temp gauge started flashing. Again, while I was sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I called my Independent Porsche Mechanic and asked his advise. He said the coolant was low.

I hope that helps.

Yea mine will go from middle 180 to just about end of 0 then the fans come on and cool down to just above the 0 in street driving. freeway its just above middle .

If you're concerned with your engine getting a bit warmer than usual - check your coolant level. The more coolant there is, the more capacity to absorb heat there is.

Also consider removing your front bumper skin and cleaning out the radiators. Those puppies can get dirty, and particle matter in there insulates, reducing the ability of the radiators to lose heat like they should.