Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum & I must state I've defected. I traded my sweet 97 c5 vette for a mint 2002 911 coupe. Have been a vette guy since 89, but always loved the 911. Seems that the Germans have found a way to shoehorn two seats in the back for the kids & that makes all the difference in the world. So I am a convert & will be seeking collective 911 knowledge. By the way guys: the vette; gruff mechanic with the snap on tools girl in the shop versus the fussy German engineer with the white lab coat. The tightness of this car & rear engine design clearly make for a superior ride. So, how to get that 320 hp figure to 400, about where my vette was? Thats the question.

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum & I must state I've defected. I traded my sweet 97 c5 vette for a mint 2002 911 coupe. Have been a vette guy since 89, but always loved the 911. Seems that the Germans have found a way to shoehorn two seats in the back for the kids & that makes all the difference in the world. So I am a convert & will be seeking collective 911 knowledge. By the way guys: the vette; gruff mechanic with the snap on tools girl in the shop versus the fussy German engineer with the white lab coat. The tightness of this car & rear engine design clearly make for a superior ride. So, how to get that 320 hp figure to 400, about where my vette was? Thats the question.

I you add a good sport exhaust, headers, 100 cell cat back, a cold air intake and remap the computer you may get 20 more horses but to get to 400 you will need to supercharge it.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

Buddy of mine has a 2006 (i think) Z06 (got video of speedo at 160mph). However he has two small kids. Walked into the Porsche dealership and said he needed 500hp and a back seat. Walked out with a new twin turbo on order. I think the TT is probably the cheapest best way to get to what you are looking for, but I think you will be pretty happy with what you have.

Will

I'm formerly a long-time C4 owner. I switched in 2002, first to the Boxster (which was a huge HP drop) and then to the 911. I really loved the fact that I could personally do any work to the car that I wanted to, but I would never go back. The rear-engine difference is huge - the front-end is super-light and goes wherever you point it, then the weight in the rear makes it stick solid on the gas. I can't count how many times I spun the rear out on the vette when I was aggressive with it. Give yourself time to adjust - you'll probably miss the low-end torque the most, and you'll never completely get that back in the 911 with a 3.6L, but even with less horsepower, you will really appreciate the refinement of the stock package. Maybe where you drive you could take advantage of a lot of extra horsepower, but for me, the only time I'm able to give the car a workout at all is when I take it to the track, which I've only done once.

I'm formerly a long-time C4 owner. I switched in 2002, first to the Boxster (which was a huge HP drop) and then to the 911. I really loved the fact that I could personally do any work to the car that I wanted to, but I would never go back. The rear-engine difference is huge - the front-end is super-light and goes wherever you point it, then the weight in the rear makes it stick solid on the gas. I can't count how many times I spun the rear out on the vette when I was aggressive with it. Give yourself time to adjust - you'll probably miss the low-end torque the most, and you'll never completely get that back in the 911 with a 3.6L, but even with less horsepower, you will really appreciate the refinement of the stock package. Maybe where you drive you could take advantage of a lot of extra horsepower, but for me, the only time I'm able to give the car a workout at all is when I take it to the track, which I've only done once.

Personally I think the new 'vette is just plain stunningly beautiful.

Now if it just had a modern V6, say of ~300HP, instead of the current, otherwise totally OBSOLETE, pushrod, "BIG IRON".

I'd take mine with T-Tops....

Personally I think the new 'vette is just plain stunningly beautiful.

Now if it just had a modern V6, say of ~300HP, instead of the current, otherwise totally OBSOLETE, pushrod, "BIG IRON".

I'd take mine with T-Tops....

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I had a c3 1976 hopped up, an 87c4 and the 1997c5. As pointed out, the low end torque is hard to make up for, but the handling characteristics are far superior with the 911. Also the car is far more nimble and the engineering is clearly superior. Its just a different way of getting to the same place. Brute strength versus efficient power delivery. The Vette would break loose all the time and the rock solid suspension could shake your eyes loose. The 911 gives all the benefits of a race suspension without the drawbacks. The steering & braking characteristics are simply awesome as compared with the Vette and the car is basically just as fast and definitely quicker. I just found a tuner in Freeport, Long Island New York and the car will be gradually enhanced. First up to fix the only one criticism I have. The stock shifter throw is too long, so a B&M will be installed, along with a cold air box & dyno tune. then I'll see where it goes. thanks again for all the feedack guys.

You got it. I was wondering what would happen if you take a standard GHL muffler and weld in a bypass 1" tube...... :rolleyes: . I may tackle that this summer, as I am not setting off as many car alarms as I used to in the downtown parking ramps....

.......So, how to get that 320 hp figure to 400, about where my vette was?.....

That's an easy one. See if you can get the guy with your old Vette to swap you back. :D

I came from Vettes too (6 of them). The Fatherland does not want horsepower put into its cars so they charge about 20 times the dollar per HP as an American iron. Seriously, if you look at the numbers and the numbers, it ain't worth it.

Seems like the vette vs. Porsche argument is about the same as comparing domestic beer to imported wine. Both can get you drunk -- but that's not what you usually buy a good wine for.

IMHO, it is hard to improve on the basic factory configuration for a car that you will use on the street. You can make it different (louder, firmer ride, sometimes higher horsepower {more often the mods just change the power band than actually increase hp}) -- but you usually give up as much as you gain. I would encourage you to try the stock configuration for a while. The most performance limiting factor in a Porsche is often the person behind the wheel. Money spent on a good driving school might produce higher speeds than add ons.

You got it. I was wondering what would happen if you take a standard GHL muffler and weld in a bypass 1" tube...... :rolleyes: . I may tackle that this summer, as I am not setting off as many car alarms as I used to in the downtown parking ramps....

I love the sound of my GHL with my CAI but the noise got me black flagged at Road Atlanta earlier this month and I also had to sit out my second run. I guest I need to improve so I can move up and not worry about running during quiet time. :cheers:

Congrats! You are in for the ride of your life. I'm a former Trans Am, Camaro Z, Mustang guy who loved the incredible torque but have been swept away by the charm, handling, finesse, and engineering of Porsche. My favorite part? Nailing the accelerator in a tight corner instead of having to wait towards the end.