Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Which brake pads? My head is spinning

I need a new set of front pads and I'm going to do them myself. The local stealer here north of the 49th wants CAN$170+ for the OEM pads. Looking on the internet, there's a dizzying array of manufacturers (apparently) and pads to choose from:

Textar (FF) CAN$170, US$106, 100, 78, 106

ATE US$76, 71, 82

Mintex (EE) $US58, 53, 58, 69?

Mintex Silver metallic US$96

Pagid US$84, 79, 78, 70

PBR US$64, 60

PBR (EE?) US$73, 68

PBR ceramic US$84, 78

Centric semi-metallic US$75

EBC red, ceramic US$102

Porsche (Brembo) US$136

Porsche US$77, 97

I don't track the car and am just looking for reasonably good performance on the street without a lot of dusting. Oh, and I'm not into drilling holes for the wear sensors - the pads have to come with the holes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Norm

2001 Base boxster, 5 speed

I was facing the same dilemma a few months back. I talked with my Independent Shop owner and he suggested I put the factory pads on. He said that it's not like a Ford where they put pads on that are 'just good enough' to get by. Also that it would take a lot of time to be able to get my driving up to the point where I could match the OEM pads performance. So I put them on and other than the brake dust I couldn't be happier. The best part? After about 2k miles, I had a defective pad and both rears were replaced no questions asked.

• Moderators
I was facing the same dilemma a few months back. I talked with my Independent Shop owner and he suggested I put the factory pads on. He said that it's not like a Ford where they put pads on that are 'just good enough' to get by. Also that it would take a lot of time to be able to get my driving up to the point where I could match the OEM pads performance. So I put them on and other than the brake dust I couldn't be happier. The best part? After about 2k miles, I had a defective pad and both rears were replaced no questions asked.

I'm in 100% agreement here. The OEM pads may be a little more expensive - especially if you use board sponsor Sunset Imports - but they work very well, are quiet and are relatively low dust.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I am also looking for brake pads for my '01 Boxster....

I do 4-5 track events a year and would like to buy a good 'hybrid' pad - if something like that exists.

Please, let me know what and where to look...

All the best,

Gus

3 years, 15k miles, 6 track days, 5 AX days, 2 days SDR performance driving school, my OEM pads are not even half gone yet and are as consistent and fade free as ever. Wonderful Porsche brakes. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. I vote OEM.

Post script,

Graeme (Highlander) is being very modest here but he holds multiple SCCA National titles and is one of the fastest Boxster drivers in the country. If he likes OEM brakes, I like OEM brakes. It's a little like asking Michael Phelps which swimsuit he used in the Olympics.

Edited by Topless

• 2 weeks later...
3 years, 15k miles, 6 track days, 5 AX days, 2 days SDR performance driving school, my OEM pads are not even half gone yet and are as consistent and fade free as ever. Wonderful Porsche brakes. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. I vote OEM.

Post script,

Graeme (Highlander) is being very modest here but he holds multiple SCCA National titles and is one of the fastest Boxster drivers in the country. If he likes OEM brakes, I like OEM brakes. It's a little like asking Michael Phelps which swimsuit he used in the Olympics.

Thank you very much guys...

Sorry for the late reply...but had a small problem - I am getting my clutch replaced (at 44 k miles)!!!

Well, back to the topic. When I look at pelicanparts.com they list Mintex, Pagid and Textar as OEM Pad Sets and Brembo as Genuine Porsche. I always thought the OEM term was used to express Genuine Porsche parts. What am I missing?

I assume the Brembos are the real deal. am I right?

All the best,

Gus