Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AC Taken Out by U-bolt

Last week while driving on I-78 in eastern New Jersey a U-bolt flew off a vehicle in front of me and into my front left grill punching a hole in my AC coil. The bolt struck the piping just where it enters the coil. My question is does this coil also affect the car's cooling system? The temp seems to have jumped several degrees from 180 to around 185 - 190. My boxster is a 2002 S. Photos below show the u-bolt that was found below the front AC radiator, damage to AC radiator and where the puncture may have occurred, pin hole.

Edited by Tom C

• Admin

The AC condenser sits in front of the cooling radiators. It covers maybe 95% of the front area of the radiator. Cooling air is expected to pass through the AC condenser and then through the cooling radiators - so if enough frontal area of the AC condenser is damaged it would have an effect on engine cooling.

If you haven't taken the front bumper off to clean the debris from the condensers and radiators this should likely be done too. Besides you will need to take the bumper off to replace the damaged AC condenser.

• Moderators

Whit a AC in good condition the cooling fans in the front of the car are working continuously ( 986 - 996 ). If the AC system is empty by a leak, the fans are no more activated and starts only if the engine temp. comes high commanded by the DME. Maybe that the US version is different.

• 2 weeks later...
Last week while driving on I-78 in eastern New Jersey a U-bolt flew off a vehicle in front of me and into my front left grill punching a hole in my AC coil. The bolt struck the piping just where it enters the coil. My question is does this coil also affect the car's cooling system? The temp seems to have jumped several degrees from 180 to around 185 - 190. My boxster is a 2002 S. Photos below show the u-bolt that was found below the front AC radiator, damage to AC radiator and where the puncture may have occurred, pin hole.

The condenser has been replaced; I repaired the hole in the cowling with fiberglass, epoxy, and black paint; I repaired the broken grill with marine epoxy and the piece I found next in the pile of leaves when I took off the bumper. I'll have my garge charge and check the system.

I see they are now selling 134a these days. It appears anyone buy it, but you must be certified to use it?

Edited by Tom C

Tom,

Where I live a evac and refill of R134 is only about $120, I would expect to be under $200 in in NJ plus they can do the dye to check for leaks post repair if there is diminished cooling capacity.

FYI temps of 190F are fine...

Home kits are the best way to do this since you have had a full loss. You shouldn't still be able to buy 134a in quanity w/o a permit but the car stores have the little recharge cans.