Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

aftermarket headers but with the stock exhaust?

does anyone know if Fabspeed headers will add power and torque if i keep the stock exhaust system? ultimately, i want the increased pep with aftermarket exhaust systems, but i don't want to loose the factory sound.

any info is appreciated....

'07 987S

does anyone know if Fabspeed headers will add power and torque if i keep the stock exhaust system? ultimately, i want the increased pep with aftermarket exhaust systems, but i don't want to loose the factory sound.

'07 987S

This type of subject, unfortunately, come up on topic all too often. The simple reality of the Porsche line is that they are already an engineered, HIGH PERFORMANCE machine....out of the box. Almost to the total aftermarket suppliers, they offer products that do NOT INCREASE true performance from these ENGINEERED machines. Deception in the advertising and inferior manufacturing processes often lead to a car that has become a pariah....NO ONE wants to buy it anymore. Funny, when we logically think of the REAL, bonified engineers who put science and technology into each and every part of a Porsche 911?....well, how can we believe that some of the aftermarked "wizards" can beat the factory at the factory's game! PLEASE.....They border insults in the ads in eurotrash mags!. Headers? What do you think you have to begin with? Stack the two headers together, look, think! Which header will stand up longer, which header is "fitted" to the engine management better? The aftermarket should be smacked! the buyer of this crap should be smacked for being so stupid! Do you homework and you will conclude what thousands of others do, without throwing your hard earned cash in the garbage. Sorry, I do this once in a long while, the educating thing...REALLY pisses of the guys that make this junk:-) AND. let's NOT talk about AIR FILTERS!#$%^$^$% havefuntakechancesdriveporsche

You mean that every bolt-on 'performance' item is not going to increase the horsepower 8-10%? Can this be true??

OK...the joke's over...FORMULA had to reveal the 'man behind the aftermarket/cheap/simple bolt-on hp curtain'. If you want your car to 'sound' faster and like wearing earplugs on the interstate, there's plenty of places to dump your $$$. Sometimes the truth cuts like a stiletto...

• 3 weeks later...

'07 987S

Hi after reading your Question and reading answers from the other forum members I have to put in my two cents. I have also asked the same question and came up with the same answers. According to one of the members who is pro on not touch the vehicle, you should not do anything as the car from the factury is perfect. I realize the engineers that work on porsche are very good at there jobs but, does it not make sense that other engineers are as good or better in designing and making aftermarket products to improve your vehicle. Look at all the race cars and the products they use to get more power for there vehicles. Also Porsche dealers sell aftermarket products to improve the vehicles they are selling so all in all I have come up with that all thoses aftermarket product can not all be garbage. When you look at the whole picture you can't say porsche is perfect, because there would be no other cars to buy. I say you have to make your car your own.

Thats just my two cents.

Sorry, I do this once in a long while, the educating thing...REALLY pisses of the guys that make this junk:-) AND. let's NOT talk about AIR FILTERS!#$%^$^$% havefuntakechancesdriveporsche

That wasn't "educating" that was "ranting condescendingly".

Toejam, the simple matter of fact is that basic power adders only work on cars that have been hamstrung in some fashion. You take your average car and realize that power wasn't the ultimate goal--comfort, safety, noise levels and emissions requirements were.

Yeah, there's some power to be gained in a car like that. A porsche, not so much--it's already been fairly tweaked from the factory to get as much as reasonable within the parameters of longevity, safety and law.

That said, if you want more power out of the car, you can add an exhaust system and remap the ECU, sure. The car won't be smog-legal in all countries/states, but you won't be due for a smog check for quite some time so that probably isn't an issue for you. The engine won't last as long either and the parts may fail prematurely, but that's the risk you take.

You want it to be quiet though (well, in as much as one would say a stock Porsche is "quiet")--ahhh there's a problem.

You can't leave the stock exhaust on the end and expect any gains. You need to widen the whole pipe. Most people would start from the back and work their way up towards the engine when widening things up, not the other way around as you're questioning.

In the end, the money spent probably isn't worth the gains. If you really want more power out of the Boxster S, you should probably start considering a turbo/supercharger/engine swap. Bring lots of cash.

Personally, I'd say just enjoy the car as it is. It's already very balanced and adding more power's just going to upset that and put you on a downward spiral into modification. I've been down that road before and mehhhh... I'm over it. The Boxster S has plenty of power to keep me happy. Take the money you'd have spent on modding the Boxster and go buy a 993 of some sort. :)

thanks all for your replies. i appreciate all of your comments and experience.

my goal was to get a more viceral sound out of the car, not so much as to add power. i'm really satisfied with the power as everytime i try to push the 987S i either run out of road or there's traffic!

i do however, wonder if adding an intake kit will increase my fuel milage...i've done it for my other cars and it's aways good for 2-3 mpg in the city...

cheers

'07 987S

Hi after reading your Question and reading answers from the other forum members I have to put in my two cents. I have also asked the same question and came up with the same answers. According to one of the members who is pro on not touch the vehicle, you should not do anything as the car from the factury is perfect. I realize the engineers that work on porsche are very good at there jobs but, does it not make sense that other engineers are as good or better in designing and making aftermarket products to improve your vehicle. Look at all the race cars and the products they use to get more power for there vehicles. Also Porsche dealers sell aftermarket products to improve the vehicles they are selling so all in all I have come up with that all thoses aftermarket product can not all be garbage. When you look at the whole picture you can't say porsche is perfect, because there would be no other cars to buy. I say you have to make your car your own.

Thats just my two cents.

Since everyone is giving their opinion on this touchy subject I thought I would throw mine in as well.

I have 3 performance mods on my C2 996. Fabspeed mufflers, chip and cold air kit. In my opinion the car runs better and sounds better. I certainly did'nt get huge horsepower gains.

I have driven my friends 996 that is totally stock. Mine simply runs and sounds better. He agrees.

I have other Porsche drivers stop me and ask me what I've done to the engine. They like the way it sounds.

Just my opinion and my experience. I love the changes I made.

I also agree that if was that easy to get another 30 to 50 horsepower from an exhaust system Porsche would have already done it.

Porsches "power kit" for the Carrera costs $16,500 and gives you 50 more horsepower. That pretty much says it all.

Horsepower costs money period.

Hope no one gets mad at me. :cheers:

Phillipj

Toejam, if you want your car to sound better, get the Porsche Sport Exhaust for your car. I did it, and love it. I have a 2006 987S. You can get the PSE from Phil at Sunset Porsche for about $1,850. Take it to your dealership, and they will do the install for big $$. You will have a warranty, NO CEL's and great sound. And NO resonance.

Have the dealership do the install without the ON/OFF switch (linked to your 'Sport' mode if you have Sport Chrono). This will be cheaper (faster) and the muffler will always be in Sport mode (louder setting).

FabSpeed stuff sucks! Nots of resonance and many CEL. Plus, their mufflers hang below the bumper on the 987. Looks like crap IMHO.

Edited by White987S

• 2 weeks later...