Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Side Windows Come Up By Themselves

hi folks,

i just replaced both push rods for the top (see my thread started july 22, Broken Push Rod ...). the top is working fine, thanks to a lot of help from this forum, but now my side windows are going up on their own. i notice the following pattern so far:

1. when i put the convertible top all the way down. both side windows immediately go all the way up (i don't remember that before i repaired the top). sometimes only the driver side would go up.

2. i pressed both buttons to get both windows all the way down, drive around with the top down, in about 5 minutes, both windows would go all the way up on their own.

3. after step 2 above, i have not drive long enoug to see if the windows would come up again.

4. after parking the car in the garage with the top down and both windows down, closed the door, come back in an hour or so, both windows are fully up. if i lock the car with the key, it does not happen (locking the car turn off electrical power, i think). is there a delay? is this normal? it does not happen before i fixed the top.

i saw some posts regarding window problems but not like mine. i read the owners manual, did not mention anything like this. bought the used 97 boxster not long ago, really not sure how the windows should work. it is anoying to have them come up on their own when i am cruising with the top down. it does not seem to come up when i am driving with the top up.

i am sure you experienced owners have some explanation for me. looking forward to hear from you.

mustang66

hi folks,

i just replaced both push rods for the top (see my thread started july 22, Broken Push Rod ...). the top is working fine, thanks to a lot of help from this forum, but now my side windows are going up on their own. i notice the following pattern so far:

1. when i put the convertible top all the way down. both side windows immediately go all the way up (i don't remember that before i repaired the top). sometimes only the driver side would go up.

2. i pressed both buttons to get both windows all the way down, drive around with the top down, in about 5 minutes, both windows would go all the way up on their own.

3. after step 2 above, i have not drive long enoug to see if the windows would come up again.

4. after parking the car in the garage with the top down and both windows down, closed the door, come back in an hour or so, both windows are fully up. if i lock the car with the key, it does not happen (locking the car turn off electrical power, i think). is there a delay? is this normal? it does not happen before i fixed the top.

i saw some posts regarding window problems but not like mine. i read the owners manual, did not mention anything like this. bought the used 97 boxster not long ago, really not sure how the windows should work. it is anoying to have them come up on their own when i am cruising with the top down. it does not seem to come up when i am driving with the top up.

i am sure you experienced owners have some explanation for me. looking forward to hear from you.

mustang66

Hi Mustang,

Interesting issue you ran into...

First question that comes to mind is this: when you have the top down, are any of the sensor still on? Is the top light showing on the dashboard? I am in the process of fixing my top now and because the transmissions are not hooked up the clamshell is not pushed all the way down, which causes the sensors to stay on all the time, which, in turn, causes the windows to go down the usual 1" or so. This is annoying because I put them back up and then, as soon as I go over a bump or something, the windows go down again (perhaps because the clamshell rattles and jumps enough to quickly turn the sensors off and immediately back on). I don't have any problems with the top up, however, even though the top light is still on.

Did you try to reprogram your windows? (Go all the way up and keep pushing the button for extra 10 seconds while the car is turned on)

Please keep us informed of your solution and good luck!

hi azzar0,

my "top open" light on the dash board goes away as soon as the top and clamshell are fully down and the drive motor stops. thats the way it should, right?

i tried re-programming the window as you suggested. i did it with the top down and again with the top up, does not seem to make any difference. is this re-programming method in the owners manual?

another clue to my problem is that both my windows go up fully when the top is fully down and the dash board light goes off. i don't remember that before i fixed my push rods. all you long time 97 boxster owners out there, does your windows start to go fully up when the top reaches its fully down position?

does anyone know if there are sensors in the transmissions (that pushes the top and clamshell up and down)? could it be that my transmission(s) is not in the correct position so that the sensor(s), if there is any, is making the windows go up.

one more symptom, when i am driving with the top down, my windows (some times both, mostly the driver side only) would go up on their own randomly. could this be a sensor problem or could it be an electrical problem. would a short of some sort cause the windows to go up? the previous owner put in such elaborate speaker systems, the doors were really worked on to get all the wiring and speakers in. if this is not related to my convertible top repair, it would be a real coincidence for the windows to act up just as i have troble with the top push rods.

another question: the 2 infra red eyes on top of the winshield right next to the light and the hinge where the top catches on, what should be in there? my plastic lenses fell off, i looked inside, i don't see anything that looks like sensors. looks like an empty bracket. is that for cars with alarms only? i don't have an alarm. it is not for sensors related to windows, is it? there is 2 such infra red lenses in the middle console by the parking brake as well. what are they for? i did not open them up and look. are they used for windows?

i am a little frustrated here. any help is appreciated.

hi azzar0,

my "top open" light on the dash board goes away as soon as the top and clamshell are fully down and the drive motor stops. thats the way it should, right?

i tried re-programming the window as you suggested. i did it with the top down and again with the top up, does not seem to make any difference. is this re-programming method in the owners manual?

another clue to my problem is that both my windows go up fully when the top is fully down and the dash board light goes off. i don't remember that before i fixed my push rods. all you long time 97 boxster owners out there, does your windows start to go fully up when the top reaches its fully down position?

does anyone know if there are sensors in the transmissions (that pushes the top and clamshell up and down)? could it be that my transmission(s) is not in the correct position so that the sensor(s), if there is any, is making the windows go up.

one more symptom, when i am driving with the top down, my windows (some times both, mostly the driver side only) would go up on their own randomly. could this be a sensor problem or could it be an electrical problem. would a short of some sort cause the windows to go up? the previous owner put in such elaborate speaker systems, the doors were really worked on to get all the wiring and speakers in. if this is not related to my convertible top repair, it would be a real coincidence for the windows to act up just as i have troble with the top push rods.

another question: the 2 infra red eyes on top of the winshield right next to the light and the hinge where the top catches on, what should be in there? my plastic lenses fell off, i looked inside, i don't see anything that looks like sensors. looks like an empty bracket. is that for cars with alarms only? i don't have an alarm. it is not for sensors related to windows, is it? there is 2 such infra red lenses in the middle console by the parking brake as well. what are they for? i did not open them up and look. are they used for windows?

i am a little frustrated here. any help is appreciated.

Mustang 66

I have a few answers, but not all:

Last question first:

On a MY97, just to the right of the handbrake lever, and just to the rear of the "ashtray" are two spaces which are either occupied by "lenses" which are blanks or, if you have the heated seats option the two spots are occupied by the rocker type switches to turn on the heat settings to the seat (either to "off" = no light, "warm" = yellow light dot, or "hot" = red light dot). So if you don't have the heated seats option, that is probably what you are referring to as the two "infrared" lenses in that location. For reference, they are a mirror image of the power window switches which are located just forward of the "ashtray."

As far as the windows going all the way up... I've been riding around for more than a year without the clamshell push rods attached and the clamshell occasionally jostling up slightly when the roof is down and the clamshell is down and that has no effect on the windows, as they function properly.

I just replaced my top and am now in the process of working on getting the top to work in the automatic mode. Having taken the transmissions apart, I did not find any sensors (or any other electrical or electronic parts for that matter) in them or in the immediate surrounding area, so I do not believe that the "Top Open" light is related in any way to the transmissions. It is also not actuated by the little lever that sits on top of the motor (at the center under the clamshell). It may be connected to some rotation of the motor as it spins the cables, but I'm not 100% sure. To answer your question though, the "Top Open" light should go off when the top and clamshell are in the proper position (with the convertible top either completely up or completely down and the clamshell resting on the top or the back of the top) if your transmissions and the motor have spun to the correct position. By the way, if you need to reset that light, you can disconnect the battery for a minute and then start over to determine whether everything is in the correct position and the light remains off when it is supposed to go off. Just be sure to have your radio code handy.

Your odd window action may be related to the microswitch that is located up inside the receptacle where the latch locks the roof closed. To test it, try to push and hold the microswitch in with your index finger while you press the power window button up. You will probably find that with the microswitch pushed in, the window will go all the way up. The microswitch has been known to have one of its solder connections "split" apart and then it becomes intermittent. This could explain why your windows go up randomly when you are driving around (from the bumps). I believe there is a post somewhere that shows how to test and repair the switch but I can't locate it right now. If you think it will help, let me know and I will track it down.

Regards, 1schoir.

thanks 1schoir. for confirming that there is probably no other micro switches that effect the windows. i begin to think its the latch micro switch as well. i plan to take off the cover and see how the switch looks like. if it is complicated, i will need help. if you don't mind, find me the post(s) about repairing that switch, it would be great.

i can also confirm that the swicth is the problem by driving around with the top down but stick something in the latch micro switch to make it think the top is up and the hook is in. if the windows do not go up erratically, then it must be the switch, right? i have not been driving around with the top up much but i am pretty sure when the top is up, everything is normal.

now i know what the 2 lenses behind the window buttons are for, i don't have seat warmers.

thanks again 1schoir. i'll be back to report.

Edited by mustang66

thanks 1schoir. for confirming that there is probably no other micro switches that effect the windows. i begin to think its the latch micro switch as well. i plan to take off the cover and see how the switch looks like. if it is complicated, i will need help. if you don't mind, find me the post(s) about repairing that switch, it would be great.

i can also confirm that the swicth is the problem by driving around with the top down but stick something in the latch micro switch to make it think the top is up and the hook is in. if the windows do not go up erratically, then it must be the switch, right? i have not been driving around with the top up much but i am pretty sure when the top is up, everything is normal.

now i know what the 2 lenses behind the window buttons are for, i don't have seat warmers.

thanks again 1schoir. i'll be back to report.

I found the post, which was written up by "Dan Hinkebein" on 19AUG06. It's very thorough and it has some helpful photos as well. Here is the link: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10458.

You are right, if you keep the microwsitch pressed in and the windows don't go up erratically, it must be the switch, or more correctly if you refer to the post by Dan Hinkebein, it's one of the soldered joints that has "split".

BTW, I posted this for someone else on PPBB and they managed to just heat the soldered joint for just a few seconds and their repair was successful.

Good Luck!

Regards, 1schoir.

hey 1schoir,

thanks for the quick response. before i read your reply, i actually did open the cover and looked at the microswitch. it looks fine to my eyes. i like to go over to dan's thread and ask more questions about testing it.

i also confirmed that this switch is definitely related to my window problems. when i started the car & idled with the top down for a few minutes, both windows began to come up on their own without me touching anything. i stick my finger all the way into the latch microswitch, the windows would immediately stop. as soon as i took my finger out, they started to go up again.

in the mean time, i made a small piece of soft plastic and stuck it in the switch. now i will see if the strange window behaviors would go away. i know that's not fixing the problem, just going around it, but if it works and if repairing or replacing the switch is too much, i may just keep that piece of plastic there when i have the top down.

thanks again. may be see you over at dan's thread. i will be back here to close out this thread, one way or another.

hey 1schoir,

thanks for the quick response. before i read your reply, i actually did open the cover and looked at the microswitch. it looks fine to my eyes. i like to go over to dan's thread and ask more questions about testing it.

i also confirmed that this switch is definitely related to my window problems. when i started the car & idled with the top down for a few minutes, both windows began to come up on their own without me touching anything. i stick my finger all the way into the latch microswitch, the windows would immediately stop. as soon as i took my finger out, they started to go up again.

in the mean time, i made a small piece of soft plastic and stuck it in the switch. now i will see if the strange window behaviors would go away. i know that's not fixing the problem, just going around it, but if it works and if repairing or replacing the switch is too much, i may just keep that piece of plastic there when i have the top down.

thanks again. may be see you over at dan's thread. i will be back here to close out this thread, one way or another.

If for some reason you end up not repairing or replacing the microswitch, there is a Porsche part that serves the same purpose as the small piece of soft plastic that you have made. It's a red plastic clip, and it clicks onto the microwitch to prevent the top from accidentally being actuated when someone is using the "speedster humps". I don't know the part number, but I have seen the part. It looks a little bit like those small plastic can openers that people hang on their keychains.

Regards, 1schoir.

hey folks,

here is the latest on my mysterious windows problem.

i pm'ed helpful renntech member dan hinkebein for help since he previously posted a similiar problem. he kindly pm'ed me back the following which i thought may be helpful for others.

--------------------------

Mustang66,

I posted the following in the thread also.

I don't think the problem your having would be with the top micro switches because the windows are going all the way down. The first switch, when activated, only drops the windows far enough to allow the top to open.

My thought would be that you have a short in the switch in your drivers door. The key lock in the door has a switch that allows you to raise of lowwer the windows from outside the car.

If you turn the key counter-clockwise to unlock the doors and hold it a few seconds, the windows will go down.

If you turn the key clockwise to lock the doors and hold it a few seconds the windows will go up.

That's the switch I would check out.

I think that by inserting somthing into the latch your over riding the command sent by the door switch causing the windows to stop. Kind of like if you press the window switch once to start the auto down then press it again and the window stops.

Dan

-------------------------------

i took dan's suggestion to check the door lock switch. i drive my boxster for pleasure only, i hardly lock my car and i never used the "hold down the key" method to lock/open my windows. so i thought i would just exercise that switch to see if it may be sticky or something. i turned it both directions about 10 times, each time holding it down. i did that on both doors, they both have the same feature. well, i am happy to report that after that exercise, my windows are not coming up on their own anymore. it's been a couple of days, the problem would have came up by now. i guest a word of advise is to exercise that switch once in a while to prevent what happened to me.

thanks to all the help, hope i would'nt have to come back to this thread with anymore bad news.

thanks 1schoir for the plastic clip info. that's good to know. i learned a lot from u guys.

later.

mustang66

Edited by mustang66

i took dan's suggestion to check the door lock switch. i drive my boxster for pleasure only, i hardly lock my car and i never used the "hold down the key" method to lock/open my windows. so i thought i would just exercise that switch to see if it may be sticky or something. i turned it both directions about 10 times, each time holding it down. i did that on both doors, they both have the same feature. well, i am happy to report that after that exercise, my windows are not coming up on their own anymore. it's been a couple of days, the problem would have came up by now. i guest a word of advise is to exercise that switch once in a while to prevent what happened to me.

thanks to all the help, hope i would'nt have to come back to this thread with anymore bad news.

thanks 1schoir for the plastic clip info. that's good to know. i learned a lot from u guys.

later.

mustang66

Glad to see you solved your problem!!!

I will try the door lock switch test also, just to 'exercise' the switch.

Happy Driving :)

Azzar0

hey folks,

here is the latest on my mysterious windows problem.

i pm'ed helpful renntech member dan hinkebein for help since he previously posted a similiar problem. he kindly pm'ed me back the following which i thought may be helpful for others.

--------------------------

Mustang66,

I posted the following in the thread also.

I don't think the problem your having would be with the top micro switches because the windows are going all the way down. The first switch, when activated, only drops the windows far enough to allow the top to open.

My thought would be that you have a short in the switch in your drivers door. The key lock in the door has a switch that allows you to raise of lowwer the windows from outside the car.

If you turn the key counter-clockwise to unlock the doors and hold it a few seconds, the windows will go down.

If you turn the key clockwise to lock the doors and hold it a few seconds the windows will go up.

That's the switch I would check out.

I think that by inserting somthing into the latch your over riding the command sent by the door switch causing the windows to stop. Kind of like if you press the window switch once to start the auto down then press it again and the window stops.

Dan

-------------------------------

later.

mustang66

Great work, Mustang 66! It's amazing what a little perseverance (and a lot of hard work) will do.

Regards, 1schoir.