Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cracked or Bleeding Climate Control

Cracked or Bleeding Climate Control

Well...Awhile back i was fiddleing with something in my car and droped something hard on the glass readout of the climate control. At first it just had a little bleeding on the glass, but eventually it got out of control and the display would flicker and was completely unreadable! Well, it finally bugged me enough to look into fixing. I called up suncoast and they wanted charge me about $400-500 for a new unit.....that wasnt going to work. So i went with option B. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymo

• Moderators

Very good. I have been waiting for someone to do this. Months ago I saw that LCD on ebay but it was only listed for Audi. Porsche uses a modified Audi display. I contacted the seller to find out if the seller knew if it would also work for a Boxster. Then the seller changed the listing to include the Boxster. On another Boxster message board 2 people bought it. One was afraid to try it. The other had some problems.

MANUELL is gone. But what happened to OF f?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...4523&hl=LCD

2 1/2 years later I will update this in case you cannot get the led from ebay. I think this is the same company.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/climate_controls.php

post-4-1186091471_thumb.jpg

LOL... i have not investigated the OF f yet, although that cracks me up every time i see it. I'll take a pic, maybe tomarrow. As far as the boxer guys having trouble, i dont know what to say, it was "mildly" difficult, but nothing impossible. It was no harder than the install of the short shifter ;). I have gigantic fingers too...so if i can do it, anyone should be able to.

We'll see how it works in the long term though, if i have some major problems i'll post em up to let you know. Anway, if anyone wants to give it a whirl and has a question feel free to drop me a line drjustinrichardson@hotmail.com . I'll try to help!

Hey cowboy....check this out http://www.bigshocker.com/ . It's a must have! I have 2 ;)

• 1 month later...

I'll be trying this out for a winter project. I tried the easy way and ordered a unit from ebay from a junker. It had the same problem, this seems to be the best way with a new part. Thanks for taking the time and step by step photos.

• 5 months later...

LOL... i have not investigated the OF f yet, although that cracks me up every time i see it. I'll take a pic, maybe tomarrow. As far as the boxer guys having trouble, i dont know what to say, it was "mildly" difficult, but nothing impossible. It was no harder than the install of the short shifter ;). I have gigantic fingers too...so if i can do it, anyone should be able to.

We'll see how it works in the long term though, if i have some major problems i'll post em up to let you know. Anway, if anyone wants to give it a whirl and has a question feel free to drop me a line drjustinrichardson@hotmail.com . I'll try to help!

Hey cowboy....check this out http://www.bigshocker.com/ . It's a must have! I have 2 ;)

I did mine last weekend and it came out great. The instructions above were very helpful, especially when I got to the part where the window is too big for the inset. I made the cut and wedged some plastic in the open area. Hopefully it will stay together, it seems very tight. Anything is better than the half numbers. Thanks for your input.

• 1 month later...

Did you get this unit?? ebay # 280209711844 I called them before I bought it and they assured me that it is exactly the same size now..only the Audi one was larger. If it isn't, it's going back..I only have one segment out, and I'mwilling to bet that if I take it apart and clean the contacts it will work, but if I go thru that I may as well install the better unit with Manual spelled right!

Well. I would have lost that bet, I couldn't get that segment to work, and when I took it apart the LCD had a slight leak. BUT, the new unit from Circuit Solutions for the Boxster/996 now fits perfect with no hacking at all. I had the new one in in less then 45 min and it is ALMOST perfect in every way. FWIW it now says MAN..instead of manuell, but the OFf is still therel! The other issue is that it is perfect viewed head-on, but loses a little contrast when viewed normally from the drivers seat. The oem does not have that kind of parallax issue.

Edited by perryinva

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for this info.

I ordered one from eBay and did mine this evening. Worked like a charm - no trimming necessary anymore.

The only thing that confused me was that in the supplied instructions it referenced an orange lens, but my unit had a white lens, so I spent 3 or 4 minutes searching the table for the orange lens, which I'd apparently overlooked upon disassembly. (Yes, I'm that bright.) Once I figured out that the orange lens being referenced was actually the white lens sitting in front of me, it all went back together with no problems.

It's so nice to see the temp numbers again.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

+1 on this. I ordered my replacement screen directly form Module Master (http://www.modulemaster.com/) as I wasn't entirely certain that I was looking at the correct part on eBay. While I was on the phone with them I learned that they will perform the repair for you if you send in your climate control unit. They only charge $100 for this, so if you aren't confident in your skills, this is a nice alternative. I chose to do the repair myself (part arrived in just two days) and can confirm that the fit is perfect with no trimming necessary. The instructions that came with the part were very clear and specific to the Porsche unit so the pictures were useful to confirm my undertanding as I was performing the repair. All in all, it took me about 45 minutes to remove, repair, and replace the unit in my car...great DIY.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Did this fix last night to my '99 996. I ordered the replacement LCD from Module Master for $53 plus $8 shipping.

This defect is also called the Sundown, Sundowning, or Sunrise effect. The fix was pretty easy. The LCD fit in the metal "cage" without any modifications.

While I was at it, I fixed the LCD in the Radio, which was also failing. (Why can't Porsche make a decent LCD). The CR-220 radio head unit in my car was given to me by a friend a few years ago, because my head unit had peeling buttons. I did the swap, but saved the old unit, peeling buttons and all.

Fast forward to today, and the LCD on my "new" unit is failing.

So, I took apart the faceplate, swapped the LCD screens, and re-assembled. This fix DID NOT WORK. The failed LCD segements were in the same place with the swapped LCD screens. So, I figured it must be a different component. I took it apart again, and swapped the electronic board behind the faceplate. That worked!

Now I have two functioning LCD screens. :thumbup: The Climate Control LCD doesn't look "stock" anymore, but at least it works.

Before:

post-56687-0-24588900-1334348989_thumb.j

After:

post-56687-0-42324800-1334348995_thumb.j

Edited by frisbee91

• 2 years later...

Update:

Factory-looking replica displays are available from 914Rubber.com

This is the same type of kit as above, but the display looks just like the factory display (with "Manuell")

I replaced my Audi-type display with the replica from 914Rubber.

If you want the original factory look. I'd highly recommend this...
8988290510_3721b5f490.jpg
8988294476_c31cb2a0a9.jpg