Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Worth the Upgrade? Advice..

I am looking at a 2002 Boxster S.

65,000 miles. Black on Black 6 spd.

Hood has the usual sand blasted look, smoker car, overall OK condition.

Have yet to go further as far as a mechanical inspection.

From first look it was used somewhat hard.

Told brakes were recently done, clutch etc...

Now my question is....

My 1999 Boxster is a great car. Same miles, Cooler silver, albiet not much, but

great condition. New motor, well 35k ago etc..

It will cost me about 7k for the upgrade.

I like my '99, not crazy about the 2002 in black, specially here in Florida, but paying $7k

worth it?

Advice comments welcome.

Edited by seafeye

NO way that's worth it. The S is a faster car, but the 6-speed trans isn't known for its smoothness. Additionally, you're going to be spending big bucks to get the clutch and brakes done unless you DIY.

The fact that it's black with blasted paint (too hot in FL!) and a smoker's car makes it a deal breaker. I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke in any quantity.

Just keep your '99!

NO way that's worth it. The S is a faster car, but the 6-speed trans isn't known for its smoothness. Additionally, you're going to be spending big bucks to get the clutch and brakes done unless you DIY.

The fact that it's black with blasted paint (too hot in FL!) and a smoker's car makes it a deal breaker. I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke in any quantity.

Just keep your '99!

Concur with Rodger. If you're that interested in upgrading, there are plenty of better examples out there for the money. Keep looking and be patient, or be satisfied with what you have, since you know it better than anything else out there!

Hood has the usual sand blasted look,

ie., Tailgater. Probably didn't care about the car too much.

smoker car,

ie., didn't care about the car or himself too much.

overall OK condition.

ie., $100 bucks in wash, wax was worth it to look OK.

From first look it was used somewhat hard.

Trust your instincts.

Now my question is....

My 1999 Boxster is a great car. Same miles, Cooler silver, albiet not much, but

great condition. New motor, well 35k ago etc..

It will cost me about 7k for the upgrade.

I like my '99, not crazy about the 2002 in black, specially here in Florida, but paying $7k

worth it?

Advice comments welcome.

Being from FL myself and having several black cars, I will never buy one again unless it is such a fantastic deal that I'd kick myself forever for not buying it. Remember you will be washing it a lot more, it will show every scratch, and will fade quicker. Plus you don't know it's real history. Not so much the service history but if it looks like it was ridden hard it probably was. You know the history of yours. Think to yourself, will hitting the gas, getting a little more response, and rounding that corner a split second faster be worth 7K? If yes (and it would be perfectly acceptable to say yes) then does the uncertainty factor take anything away from that thrill?

It almost sounds to me like you are may be a little bored and are looking for a change. Upgrade your suspension, change out the stereo, new wheels, or something else that may respark what you are looking for.

I agree with X51 and Rodger that there are lots of other vehicles out there if you are looking to move up. In fact with FL home forclosures as high as they are now, you can count on a few of these to be up for sale while someone is trying to stay in their home.

2 cents. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the responses.

I thought for sure there would be some that say dump the 99 and get an "S".

But noone did.

Drove my car 70 miles this morning and loved it.

Guess if my old friend can live with me, i can live with her.

Edited by seafeye