Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shiny dash surface

Just got out of the car. The reflection off the black vinyl dash is so bright in the windshield that it walks the line of being unsafe.

Is there a product that will take care of the dash without being so shiny? :lightbulb:

Thanks

First I would wash it down with a damp soapy cloth, then rinse with a clean dampened cloth.

Next I would apply 303 Protectant, it is a product that I have found to keep the vinyl and rubber in my car black (without being too shiney) and protected from UV.

I agree about the reflection problem. No I don't use ArmorAll either...who would. I suspect that most people just live with the problem. I find that the issue is exacerbated when driving in and out of sun and shade. So....anyone else find this an issue?

I agree about the reflection problem. No I don't use ArmorAll either...who would. I suspect that most people just live with the problem. I find that the issue is exacerbated when driving in and out of sun and shade. So....anyone else find this an issue?

Right the leather dash should not be shiny. Take some leather cleaner and sponge it clean. Make sure the finish is nice and flat when you are finished. Then take some leather conditioner and rub that in. After 10 or so min take a clean dry cloth (Lint free) and wipe it all down. It will look better than new.

As far as the chemicals....

Sonus is great ($22 for the kit) http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Lexol is sold at dealerships www.lexol.com

Just some to get you started.

Edited by seafeye

Right the leather dash should not be shiny. Take some leather cleaner and sponge it clean. Make sure the finish is nice and flat when you are finished. Then take some leather conditioner and rub that in. After 10 or so min take a clean dry cloth (Lint free) and wipe it all down. It will look better than new.

As far as the chemicals....

Sonus is great ($22 for the kit) http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Lexol is sold at dealerships www.lexol.com

Just some to get you started.

:oops: Don't have the leather dash - afraid that it would take the harsh summer heat in the Central Valley of CA poorly.

I have used Lexol on the seats and other leather with good results. :cheers:

Thanks.

Try Vinylex made by Lexol...works wonders for me. It also provides UV protection.

OK. You made me go out and look - now that I'm not in the office I could look in the garage and see what I used. I thought it ws the lexol product, but ddn't want to cast dispersions without being sure.

It was vinylex. Too shiny. However, Also noted that I have some very small water marks on the windshield that are acting like a matrix of tiny mirrors to reflect light. I have another product that has very fine polish for glass. It should remove the water marks and reduce the glare.

Oh Boy - I get to polish the car... :jump:

And to think I once considered swapping for a black dash. My savanna dash reflects terribly, and it has no shine at all. Polarized sunglasses work for me. Have to cock my head about 10-20 degrees to see the OBC readout, however.