Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Requesting vehicle security codes

I need to reprogram a DME that came from another car (a 1999 Boxster) to work with my car (also 1999 Boxster). I understand that in order to do this I need the vehicle security codes, which can only be obtained from Porsche. I have access to a PST2 but it is implied from the 986 FAQ (http://www.986faq.com/8-0/default.asp#009-004) that these codes cannot be retrieved this way.

I cannot find the TSB for doing this "Requesting vehicle security codes" on RennTech. I was wondering if it is possible for me to get and submit this form to Porsche or whether I will have to go through the dealer. And if the latter is my only option, I wonder if anyone knows what the dealer would typically charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Loren.

I talked to the dealer and they hedged a bit then agreed to get me the codes. They still haven't given them to me because their computer has been down for several days.

Once I get the codes I will probably need the procedure for programming the DME to work with my immobilizer unless it is obvious how to do it. I can't find a TSB on the subject. Is there a document describing this procedure?

to install a DME that is already been coded to another car is difficult. I have done it once but it was 8 years ago and the Porsche engineer was on the phone talking me through it, I was at the dealer then.

good luck even if you get the sucurity codes.

to install a DME that is already been coded to another car is difficult. I have done it once but it was 8 years ago and the Porsche engineer was on the phone talking me through it, I was at the dealer then.

good luck even if you get the sucurity codes.

It would help if the DME (assuming it still functions) is read then the mappings used to write to the new one. (You will still need the IPAS code I think)

• Admin
I believe that the only settings I need to migrate are the immobilizer code and the VIN. I don't want to change the ignition mapping or anything like that.
Ok - those are in different controller sections not the DME.

You will need to transfer the VIN to the DME (and any other appropriate info). The Alarm/immobilizer are transfered in the Alarm settings.

That sounds right. Sorry, I must have been using the wrong terminology.

I was also told that the IPAS code is not enough, that I also need to enter the VIN for the vehicle the DME was previously in before I can make one or more of these changes. Can you confirm that?

Thank you very much for your help, Loren.

Sorry if I'm not being clear. I'm afraid I don't have the terminology down.

I am taking a 3.4L 996 engine and the control unit (the one located in the trunk - Part # 996.618.601.04) out of another Boxster and putting them in my car. I have been referring to the control unit as "the DME" and I guess that isn't correct.

So I need to reprogram the control unit to work with my immobilizer. I was told that in order to do this the VIN in the control unit and the immobilizer have to match. I was told that in order to change the immobilizer code you have to have the learning codes and that in order to put in a new VIN you have to have the old VIN.

I will also need to feed the key transponder codes in but I believe that is pretty straightforward (and yes, I do have the original code tags for the key transponders).

Stefan,

I answered your PM. Reprogramming the DME to work with your immobilzer is very easy, so is reprogramming your boxster DME with the 996 maps. It would be easier to reprogram your boxster dme with the 996 maps, as you then only need the dme and immobilizer codes for your car. To program the dme that came with the motor to work in your car you will want the codes from the donor car and your car.

you only need to mess with key codes etc if you are replacing the immobilizer itself.

The VIN number doesn't matter. On the later cars the order type and transmission types in the vehicle data section matter for correct coding of things like the instrument cluster, but for the 5.2.2 dme that information really isn't important.

All that is happening is that the immobilzer is programmed to output a code, the dme is programmed to only activate if the code in it matches the one output by the immobilzer. thus if you put a used dme into your car, the immobilzer code must be changed in the dme to match the one output by your immobilzer. If you reuse your dme, you obviously don't need to change the codes in the dme, you simply need to reflash the brain with the 996 map via the pst2, but in order to do this with the early dme's you still need the immobilzer and dme codes from the dealer in order to flash a new map onto a previously programmed dme.

I hope this makes sense.

Todd

That's great information. It's amazing how much misinformation is floating around about this stuff.

I have just recevived the immobilizer, KLC, and DME codes from the dealer for my car.

I think the information I heard about needing the VIN had to do with the fact that it is with this information that the dealer retrieves the codes. So it isn't the PST2 that requires the VIN but the dealer.

I would much rather reprogram the new DME so that I can sell the old one with the codes. If I can't get the codes for the new one then it is pretty much just a shiny paper weight.

As far as reflashing the brain with the 996 map, do I need to get the map from somewhere or does the PST2 have that info built in? Or can I read it from the new DME and write it into the old.

That's great information. It's amazing how much misinformation is floating around about this stuff.

Well that is the joy of the internet. Actually my opinion is that thanks to people like Loren, Tool Pants, and Richard Hamilton to name a few, Renntech is the best of the boards as far as getting the correct technical information.

The PST2 has the maps, it is just a matter of reflashing the dme.

Todd

Well that is the joy of the internet. Actually my opinion is that thanks to people like Loren, Tool Pants, and Richard Hamilton to name a few, Renntech is the best of the boards as far as getting the correct technical information.

The PST2 has the maps, it is just a matter of reflashing the dme.

Todd

I agree with Todd 110% on that statement. RennTech.org offers more comprehensive technical information than any other forum that I have ever participated in. Coming from the VW world, it is quite the breath of fresh air to find the level of maturity and dedication that is found on Renntech, and Rennlist.

Edited by VRsyncro

I understand that the older Boxster DMEs cannot be reprogrammed. How can I tell if my Boxster DME can be reprogrammed with the 996 map? Is it a different part number or can I query the software revision using the PST2?

(A guy who is helping me with some of the grunt work is insisting that my DME is the "old style" which cannot be reprogrammed except by taking it apart, removing the chip, and having it reprogrammed. My DME is silver, not black which he says is how you can tell the difference.)

I have not encountered a DME that I cannot reflash, all the 5.2.2 DMEs I have reprogrammed have been silver with the part number 996 618 601 04.

Todd

I understand that the older Boxster DMEs cannot be reprogrammed. How can I tell if my Boxster DME can be reprogrammed with the 996 map? Is it a different part number or can I query the software revision using the PST2?

(A guy who is helping me with some of the grunt work is insisting that my DME is the "old style" which cannot be reprogrammed except by taking it apart, removing the chip, and having it reprogrammed. My DME is silver, not black which he says is how you can tell the difference.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so after an extremely frustrating week of not getting the reprogramming to work, I have finally figured out what the problem was so I figured I would post it here to benefit others.

I followed the procedure for programming my DME with the program data from the 996 DME. I was always able to read the program out of the 996 DME every time with no problem. But when I tried to write the data to my DME I always got an error "[3] Test step aborted".

For a while I thought that the problem was with the PST2 I was using. So I tried a different PST2 and got the same result. So I tried an official PIWIS tester and got the same result!

I finally decided to recheck the programming codes the dealer had given me. And it turns out that the programming codes were wrong. So when the PST2 (or PIWIS) fails because of incorrect programming codes, the error is nonsensical at best.

I decided that I wanted to preserve my original DME if possible. So I retrieved the programming codes for the 996 DME and programmed it to recognize my immobilizer. The car then started.

I drove the car on the highway, not sensing a major increase of power (which I would expect when switching to a 996 map). It drove fine, but not perfectly smooth. When I got off the highway, the car stalled. And now it runs terribly and barely runs. If I rev it up, it limps by but it is very unhappy. Fortunately, I can still plug my 986 DME in and if the problem is related to the programming the car should run ok again.

The funny thing is that even with the car running terribly for about 5 minutes, there is no CEL. I will probably try disconnecting the battery to reset the learning and see if that helps.

Advice is welcome.

If the DME is programmed correctly with the 996 maps it will only be recognized when you do a control module search under the 996 model. If it is not, then it doesn't have the 996 maps.

You can also check that the maps are correct by taking off the engine cover and reving the car up quickly above ~3500 rpm, this should trigger the solenoid valve and actuate the valve on the second plenum.

If you are running the stock boxster exhaust, the car will be down on power quite a bit.

Most CEL do not appear immediately unless they are missfire related. Use the PST2 to read out the pending codes to get an idea of what is wrong.

Even with everything setup properly, the stock DME program will not work correctly as the MAF signal is not calibrated for the smaller diameter intake tube of the boxster, you can fix this by simply putting a 330 ohm resistor in line on the maf signal wire (white/blue)

Todd

Ok, so after an extremely frustrating week of not getting the reprogramming to work, I have finally figured out what the problem was so I figured I would post it here to benefit others.

I followed the procedure for programming my DME with the program data from the 996 DME. I was always able to read the program out of the 996 DME every time with no problem. But when I tried to write the data to my DME I always got an error "[3] Test step aborted".

For a while I thought that the problem was with the PST2 I was using. So I tried a different PST2 and got the same result. So I tried an official PIWIS tester and got the same result!

I finally decided to recheck the programming codes the dealer had given me. And it turns out that the programming codes were wrong. So when the PST2 (or PIWIS) fails because of incorrect programming codes, the error is nonsensical at best.

I decided that I wanted to preserve my original DME if possible. So I retrieved the programming codes for the 996 DME and programmed it to recognize my immobilizer. The car then started.

I drove the car on the highway, not sensing a major increase of power (which I would expect when switching to a 996 map). It drove fine, but not perfectly smooth. When I got off the highway, the car stalled. And now it runs terribly and barely runs. If I rev it up, it limps by but it is very unhappy. Fortunately, I can still plug my 986 DME in and if the problem is related to the programming the car should run ok again.

The funny thing is that even with the car running terribly for about 5 minutes, there is no CEL. I will probably try disconnecting the battery to reset the learning and see if that helps.

Advice is welcome.

Edited by tholyoak

The plot thickens. I checked the values while it is running and discovered that not only is the MAF showing a value of 0.1 lb/min regardless of engine speed, here are some other values that are off (warmed up & at idle):

Timing Advance (Cyl. #1): 7.5 deg

Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1): +25.0%

Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2): +25.0%

Intake Air Temperature: 113 deg F (note that the ambient temperature was about 75 degrees F)

I checked for intake leaks and could not find any. That EVO intake just has to come out. With the stock Boxster engine and the EVO intake, it fried my MAF in the same way. So I replaced the MAF and put back in the stock airbox and had no problems for a year. I put in the 3.4L engine w/EVO intake and within a week my MAF is toast.

I unplugged the MAF and the car runs about as well as can be expected given that it is running without the fine-tuning benefits of the MAF input and (probably) with a Boxster ignition mapping.

I am definitely going to put a resistor on the MAF. That makes complete sense given that there is no way for the MAF to know the volume of the intake tube.

I am concerned that a standard 5% tolerance resistor will not be precise enough given that even a small variation in the MAF output makes a big difference. Places like Radio Shack only carry the gold (5%) tolerance resistors. Perhaps I'm being too particular.

• 2 years later...

"[3] Test step aborted".

I'm looking for advice on the error "[21] Test step aborted" when trying to program a control unit with a PST2.

I am replacing my 996 DME with a used 986 DME, same part number.

I have all codes to program both units, so I am thinking error 21 might be different from error 3.

Thanks in advance and Happy 4th of July.