Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi All,

I have a small problem with the horn of my 2003 cayenne TT. When I honk, it sounds like there is a dying cow under the hood. I am planning on cleaning it this weekend, but actually: I do not know where it is located?

Could anybody perhaps locate me in the right direction?

Thanks, frank.

• Moderators

You need to remove the front shield on a turbo, one horn is located on the left front and one on the right. It's better to replace both horns, thy go's bad if you don't use them once a day.

Hi,

What do you mean with the front shield: The plate under the nose or the nose itself??

I suppose you mean the plate? Strange thing though is that they do work: only they sound like an old, lazy COW (not clear and loud).

Perhaps cleaning will do the trick?

Does anybody know where I can get the workshop manual.

Thanks,

Frank.

On 03 / 04 models there was a problem which resulted in horns being replaced, mine was done under warranty for the same problem, sounded a bit like a cow.

Hi,

What do you mean with the front shield: The plate under the nose or the nose itself??

I suppose you mean the plate? Strange thing though is that they do work: only they sound like an old, lazy COW (not clear and loud).

Perhaps cleaning will do the trick?

Does anybody know where I can get the workshop manual.

Thanks,

Frank.

Hi, tried to take off the nose today, but I was not completely sure jow to do it (whether there are screws under the headlights). therefore I took oot the grills, trying to find the horns.

I was not able to find them. Did I do something wrong? Where are the horns precizely located? Any diagrams, pictures?

Thanks.

Frank

• 1 year later...

I also have the dying cow issue with my low pitch horn in my 2004 Cayenne S. Has anyone seen a DIY replacement with pictures. Is it relatively easy to remove the bumper and replace the horns?

Any ideas, I use the horn so infrequently that I can't justify several hundred $$$ at the dealership to replace a noise maker. However, when I do need to use the horn to avoid having a soccer mom slam into the side of me ask they are yapping on their cell phone, I feel embarrased that a $70k vehicle sounds like a dying cow.

Can anyone send me a link to a thread or diagram that shows how to access the horns. Thanks!

Edited by rummelld

• Moderators

There is no need to remove the front bumper on NON Turbo Cayenne, remove the screws on the front side of the inner wheel well and pull backwards. The horns are located in the rooms in front of the inner wheel well left and right side of the car.

• 5 years later...

Just purchased the Cayenne S 06 Platinum Edition and when the ex-owner told me that only the horn was not working... I believed him...

Bare with me since I had just Fallen in Love... with the Big C...

Anyways... last night after work, I decided to tackle this little job that is to fix the horn that sounds like a cat is stuck in my fan belt... lol

Opened the hood and laughed for about 5 minutes while sipping on my Drink...

Where the F is the horn...

How do I get to the horn...

LOL

Started taking of Plastic after Plastic... never found it...

Decided to look under the truck... guess what I found... more plastic covers... LOL

Now that you guys have pointed me in the right direction... I will try it tonight...

All of you can stop laughing now...

Other little things not working... the GPS Antenna in the rear spoiler must be replaced...

Still don't know how to get in there but I will find out because of your Forum and Great Website...

One more thing... my rear park assist does not work but the front one does... any leads on this one would be appreciated...

• Admin

Just purchased the Cayenne S 06 Platinum Edition and when the ex-owner told me that only the horn was not working... I believed him...

Bare with me since I had just Fallen in Love... with the Big C...

Anyways... last night after work, I decided to tackle this little job that is to fix the horn that sounds like a cat is stuck in my fan belt... lol

Opened the hood and laughed for about 5 minutes while sipping on my Drink...

Where the F is the horn...

How do I get to the horn...

LOL

Started taking of Plastic after Plastic... never found it...

Decided to look under the truck... guess what I found... more plastic covers... LOL

Now that you guys have pointed me in the right direction... I will try it tonight...

All of you can stop laughing now...

Other little things not working... the GPS Antenna in the rear spoiler must be replaced...

Still don't know how to get in there but I will find out because of your Forum and Great Website...

One more thing... my rear park assist does not work but the front one does... any leads on this one would be appreciated...

:welcome:

The horns can be found behind the wheel well liners. If you have small hands you might be able to reach them without removing the front bumper cover also.

You likely will need to put a Durametic tester or Porsche PIWIS on the car to diagnose which sensor(s) are causing your parkassist issue. Anything else is just guessing and expensive trail and error.

Yes, you need to remove the inner front wheel liners which will give you "limited" access to both horns (one on each side)

Removal and installation is mostly done by "feel" and "touch" as the visual/access is slim to none.

Make sure you put the correct horn on the correct side.  As Loren and the others have mentioned, there is a high tone and low tone horn

I did this procedure a while ago (changed the side makers as well since I was already there) it is a bit awkward repair, not the easiest but certainly doable

• 1 month later...

Sprocket,

Go with the OEM Porsche stock horns, not sure year and model you have but these are the horns for my year and model.  You have to get the Low and High Pitch.

Low pitched horn is on the left side (from the drivers perspective).
High pitched horn is on the right side (from the drivers perspective).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1074/POR_1074_ELGAGE_pg1.htm#item0