Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Desnorkle Your 986

Desnorkle Your 986

1.) Un-screw the one phillips head screw at top center of side air intake... 2.) The molded air duct and the intake grill are still attached by three delicate plastic tabs at the three points... The best way to remove this is gently insert your fingers through the grills into the intake at the points circled in red and gently try to free the tabs... All three points come forward towards you, but if one is stuck or gets caught it will break... 3.) Inside the drivers side air duct you will f

Edited by juniinc

1.) Un-screw the one phillips head screw at top center of side air intake...

post-23680-1191644977_thumb.jpg

2.) The molded air duct and the intake grill are still attached by three delicate plastic tabs at the three points... The best way to remove this is gently insert your fingers through the grills into the intake at the points circled in red and gently try to free the tabs... All three points come forward towards you, but if one is stuck or gets caught it will break...

post-23680-1191644988_thumb.jpg

3.) Inside the drivers side air duct you will find a snorkle... The snorkle is added to most US cars for noise restrictions. Now this piece is attached by no screws or tabs, but it most likely will give you some troubles removing... The best way is to remove this, just grab a hold of the long snorkle (not the small dish on the end)... Now wiggle it from left to right and vice versa while pulling out towards you. This works, but might take a little effort.

post-23680-1191644997_thumb.jpg

4.) This is what the intake is going to look like after the snorkel is removed... Just carefully insert the three tabs back into their points... Make sure that all three are tightly in by pushing the airduct cover (not the grill)... Insert your 1 screw into top center of cover and you are done.

post-23680-1191645004_thumb.jpg

Juniinc:

Excellent DIY!

Your second and third photo show the litlle "dish" below and at the front of the snorkle... The fourth photo is not as clear. What happens to the "dish"?

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks! Maurice. It is all 1 piece.post-23680-1191702290_thumb.jpg

1.) Un-screw the one phillips head screw at top center of side air intake...

post-23680-1191644977_thumb.jpg

2.) The molded air duct and the intake grill are still attached by three delicate plastic tabs at the three points... The best way to remove this is gently insert your fingers through the grills into the intake at the points circled in red and gently try to free the tabs... All three points come forward towards you, but if one is stuck or gets caught it will break...

post-23680-1191644988_thumb.jpg

3.) Inside the drivers side air duct you will find a snorkle... The snorkle is added to most US cars for noise restrictions. Now this piece is attached by no screws or tabs, but it most likely will give you some troubles removing... The best way is to remove this, just grab a hold of the long snorkle (not the small dish on the end)... Now wiggle it from left to right and vice versa while pulling out towards you. This works, but might take a little effort.

post-23680-1191644997_thumb.jpg

4.) This is what the intake is going to look like after the snorkel is removed... Just carefully insert the three tabs back into their points... Make sure that all three are tightly in by pushing the airduct cover (not the grill)... Insert your 1 screw into top center of cover and you are done.

post-23680-1191645004_thumb.jpg

Juniinc:

Excellent DIY!

Your second and third photo show the litlle "dish" below and at the front of the snorkle... The fourth photo is not as clear. What happens to the "dish"?

Regards, Maurice.

Now, this makes me happy! Thanks for that shop proven dyno Jim. This is the most cost effective way to gain your HP I have seen lately. it is better than a poor man's true air flow kit or EVO cold air intake. WOW

And enjoy your dyno proven 5hp and 3ft/lbs or torque gain. Bisi did back to back on his Dynapack, view this thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/f16/fin...ked-986s-75281/

Edited by juniinc

Now, this makes me happy! Thanks for that shop proven dyno Jim. This is the most cost effective way to gain your HP I have seen lately. it is better than a poor man's true air flow kit or EVO cold air intake. WOW
And enjoy your dyno proven 5hp and 3ft/lbs or torque gain. Bisi did back to back on his Dynapack, view this thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/f16/fin...ked-986s-75281/

OK, either I'm just a 'tard or my car is being difficult. I had seen an earlier thread showing the removal of the air duct and it involved pushing the "blinds" (their word) back and away from the duct bezel, removing the bezel, then remove the "blinds" to get access. Reassembly was to install the "blinds" with them pushed back into the opening and after installing the bezel, pulling the blinds back into place. My R/H duct is definitely like this. I can't get the L/H "blinds" to move inward to release the bezel or release the tabs as you show. Are all Boxsters the same? Is mine so old ('01) that the plastic has hardened so they won't release? I feel I have pushed as hard as I should on plastic parts. Suggestions? I really want to de-snorkel! I WANT that 5 more HP!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Sir, our passenger side is to cool down the engine compartment intake air. Sounds like you've taken care of that removal of duct grill, Alan?

Be careful u guys, don't be throwing your cigarette butts while u are driving.

do i need to do the passenger side too? thanks.

No, the passenger side appears to just be a cooling fan (similar to a "pancake" fan on a computer) that pulls cool air into the engine compartment.

Yes Sir, our passenger side is to cool down the engine compartment intake air. Sounds like you've taken care of that removal of duct grill, Alan?

No, the passenger side appears to just be a cooling fan (similar to a "pancake" fan on a computer) that pulls cool air into the engine compartment.

No, I haven't been able to de-snorkel. The right side comes apart as described in an earlier thread - push the grille in, it frees up the duct and it comes loose. The left side doesn't want to cooperate. Like the grille and duct are one piece. Tried to push it in but it doesn't budge.

Suggestions?

Did you try to slip your finger through the grill then try to free those 3 tabs? they should all come towards you.

No, I haven't been able to de-snorkel. The right side comes apart as described in an earlier thread - push the grille in, it frees up the duct and it comes loose. The left side doesn't want to cooperate. Like the grille and duct are one piece. Tried to push it in but it doesn't budge.

Suggestions?

Did you try to slip your finger through the grill then try to free those 3 tabs? they should all come towards you.

Suggestions?

Yes. Tried to get the tabs holding the grille to move outwards, releasing the grille, and tried to get the grille to "pop" in, releasing the duct. Nothing want to let go. I have pushed and pulled pretty hard, as hard as I think I should on plastic parts. Tomorrow night I'll try pushing the tabs outward again.

Take it easy, so u don't break it!

Suggestions?

Yes. Tried to get the tabs holding the grille to move outwards, releasing the grille, and tried to get the grille to "pop" in, releasing the duct. Nothing want to let go. I have pushed and pulled pretty hard, as hard as I think I should on plastic parts. Tomorrow night I'll try pushing the tabs outward again.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions?

OK, now it has been decided! I am a 'tard and a wimp. I tried again tonight and after getting frustrated, pushed the grille inwards harder than I had before. There are little tabs that the grille ends snap onto on the duct sides. After working with them and getting the grille to move inwards, it released the duct. A couple of tugs on the snorkel (I was pumped by then and any resistance the snorkel put up was futile) and it was out! Put the duct back in and test drive. I don't know if you can feel 5 hp or 3 lb ft of torque, but with the sound, it seems stronger.

Thanks juniic! I am de-snorkeled!

Alan

Cool! dont you just love how she sounds?

Suggestions?

OK, now it has been decided! I am a 'tard and a wimp. I tried again tonight and after getting frustrated, pushed the grille inwards harder than I had before. There are little tabs that the grille ends snap onto on the duct sides. After working with them and getting the grille to move inwards, it released the duct. A couple of tugs on the snorkel (I was pumped by then and any resistance the snorkel put up was futile) and it was out! Put the duct back in and test drive. I don't know if you can feel 5 hp or 3 lb ft of torque, but with the sound, it seems stronger.

Alan

Suggestions?

Alan

Definitely, terrorized the lower end of our county at high speeds with my window down (temp in the 50's) so I could enjoy it. Probably going to have the worse fuel mileage on this tank due to opening the throttle repeated last night and today.

Wonder how much additional improvement in sound and power with an EVO intake? :)

HAHAHA U welcome, Alan!

I'm a aggressive driver. So I often push my motor all the way up to 7000 rpm, I just love the way she sounds above 4500 rpm.

I haven't seen the Evo's shop dyno graph yet, but they claim 8-10 HP gain with Their stage 1 kit, that will be Evo high flow + high Flow mufflers.

I'm assuming about a 4HP gain? Did u see my "Adding HP" post? stage 1,2,3 r well explained on there.

Suggestions?

Alan

Definitely, terrorized the lower end of our county at high speeds with my window down (temp in the 50's) so I could enjoy it. Probably going to have the worse fuel mileage on this tank due to opening the throttle repeated last night and today.

Wonder how much additional improvement in sound and power with an EVO intake? :)

HAHAHA U welcome, Alan!

I'm a aggressive driver. So I often push my motor all the way up to 7000 rpm, I just love the way she sounds above 4500 rpm.

I haven't seen the Evo's shop dyno graph yet, but they claim 8-10 HP gain with Their stage 1 kit, that will be Evo high flow + high Flow mufflers.

I'm assuming about a 4HP gain? Did u see my "Adding HP" post? stage 1,2,3 r well explained on there.

Suggestions?

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions?

Alan

hahaha i know what u mean..as soon as i desnorkeled it, i got about 40 miles out of about 3 gallons of gas cuz i couldn't stop punchin the gas

• 3 weeks later...

rain is not an issue, plus most of us park her in the garage-don't we? LOL

I just read ur profile. I believe Porsche upgraded in 2003 model, sound muffler that is Im talking about. But I'm not 100% positive....

How does rain affect the snorkel process? would it get into the intake when you are driving?

Just a couple of things that I've noticed on the car I've desnorkified(?)

-99'(possibly 00') have an outdated intake louvre,order the new one,it's designed to prevent foreign objects that are residing on the lower edge of the intake cover from being sucked in. The newer designed louvre has the lower two 'fins/lines' connected.

-The actually design of the side intake cover was redesigned as well. I don't know if it was in 00' or 01' that this occurred but my both(passenger & driver) side intakes on my 99' were the same. On my 01' S the driver's side intake cover is designed outward,possibly to prevent water from being sucked in.

-On the actually snorkel itself there is a tiny tab that keeps the snorkel in place. It's located at the top of the snorkel tube part that touches the air intake box. Because of it's design I would think it would be better to push up or down to remove,not left or right. Hopefully someone can post pics when they have a chance.

*Please stop quoting everyone else's stuff,it makes reading a thread hard.

I just read ur profile. I believe Porsche upgraded in 2003 model, sound muffler that is Im talking about. But I'm not 100% positive....

How does rain affect the snorkel process? would it get into the intake when you are driving?

so with the snorkel process, the result is a little power gain and increased sound?

Edited by PSL-Boxster

• 2 weeks later...

yes , what more do u want? B)

so with the snorkel process, the result is a little power gain and increased sound?