Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag Light On....help

Hey all,

Out of the blue when i was driving, my airbag light on the dash came on and won't go off. I turned the car off and back on figuring it might just cycle but it is still on. My first question would be why did this happen? Should i be concerned that it is not functional? How do i fix this?

99 996 C2

Thanks,

Erik

• Admin

Many times it is a poor connection at the seat belt buckle. Some folks have had luck cleaning the connections with electrical contact cleaner - but Porsche issued a TSB on this that changes the buckles and re- makes the ground connections. Either way you will need either the Durametric Software, or PST2, or PIWIS to turn off the airbag light. Those tools will also tell you want component triggered the airbag light in the first place.

My airbag light turned on a month ago, I took it to the dealer. His software showed that the driver's side buckle was faulty. I paid them $275 to replace it, apparently they have to remove the seat and do some rewiring. The light went out. For two weeks. :clapping:

The cursed light came back on this week. :cursing: I'm taking it in again. Problem is, the more I read about it, the more it looks like a systemic problem, and people have replaced both buckes, an airbag or two, rewired the module, and still it comes on. I'd hate to think there is a problem with this wiring system that hits cars as old as mine. Is there no answer from Porsche or one of the fine mechanics who know the trick to this annoying little problem in an otherwise finely tuned machine? Apparently, it is something that pops up more than it should. It never happens in my Toyota.

'99 996 C4 coupe

94,000 mi.

• Admin
My airbag light turned on a month ago, I took it to the dealer. His software showed that the driver's side buckle was faulty. I paid them $275 to replace it, apparently they have to remove the seat and do some rewiring. The light went out. For two weeks. :clapping:

The cursed light came back on this week. :cursing: I'm taking it in again. Problem is, the more I read about it, the more it looks like a systemic problem, and people have replaced both buckes, an airbag or two, rewired the module, and still it comes on. I'd hate to think there is a problem with this wiring system that hits cars as old as mine. Is there no answer from Porsche or one of the fine mechanics who know the trick to this annoying little problem in an otherwise finely tuned machine? Apparently, it is something that pops up more than it should. It never happens in my Toyota.

'99 996 C4 coupe

94,000 mi.

Your dealer did half the job - they did not follow the TSB.

The TSB states to replace BOTH sets of buckles and re-make the grounds.

They ought to fix it for free under warranty IMHO.

'99 996 C4 coupe

94,000 mi.

Couldn't agree with you more about your Toyota comment. In two different Toyotas (92 Camry and 97 Celica Convertible), with a combined mileage approaching 300K miles, never any hint or sign of an airbag light on my girlfriend's car.

The latest Porsche fix involves replacing both seat belt buckles, splicing and soldering in four leads with "gold plated and greased" contact springs and substituting them for four of the original contact springs in the 8-pin connector under the driver's (left) side seat (positions B5, B6, B7, & B8), doing the same but with only two contact springs on the 8-pin connector under the passenger's (right) side seat (positions B7 & B8), and then splicing and soldering beefier leads with cable lugs in place of thinner leads all leading to a ground point under each seat. After that, you must substitute new plug caps on the the 8-pin connectors, which now include a tab that is used to securely fasten all of the wires exiting the 8-pin connectors with cable ties, and add cable ties to the female 8-pin connectors on the undersides of the seats and you are almost done. It's a straightforward job once you decipher the descriptions and language in the TSB, which is a special chore in itself.

Then you have to reset the airbag light with your Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS and that provides a "permanent" fix.

Not doing both seats (regardless of the specific codes) is just putting off the inevitable, IMHO.

I have been thinking lately of the hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue that these airbag lights have brought to the dealers, either from the money they collect from Porsche on warranty work or on "paid" work. I also wonder if it's only in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and not more. This also does not take into account the untold wasted hours spent by Porsche owners in having to get these fixes.

Regards, Maurice.

Good Grief. There has to be a better way. I just went to the dealer again, who said bring in the car for the second buckle, no mention of TSB or warranty. If we are faced with this daunting task, isn't that quite the engineering marvel by engineers? If we have to go through that procedure, who would even want the airbag system? Thanks for a depressing post.

Good Grief. There has to be a better way. I just went to the dealer again, who said bring in the car for the second buckle, no mention of TSB or warranty. If we are faced with this daunting task, isn't that quite the engineering marvel by engineers? If we have to go through that procedure, who would even want the airbag system? Thanks for a depressing post.

Didn't mean to depress you. Just wanted you to know what you were up against if you went to the dealer again.

The obvious reason why we put up with this kind of engineering abuse (and there are others that I won't mention here, but you know what they are) is because of all of the other inimitable qualities of the car.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

My went on about a month ago. A friend was trying to get porsche to do a good will. no luck!! Ok the car is old but what does age have to do with rewiring an electical safety device..

The honest dealer wanted 9 hours labor and about 350 in parts. So for that price I am looking for a used set of sport seats that still have the buckles..

My went on about a month ago. A friend was trying to get porsche to do a good will. no luck!! Ok the car is old but what does age have to do with rewiring an electical safety device..

The honest dealer wanted 9 hours labor and about 350 in parts. So for that price I am looking for a used set of sport seats that still have the buckles..

RDSII:

Make sure those sport seats have the updated buckles. Part numbers are 996.803.183.09 Driver's Side and 996.803.183.10 Psgr's side.

If you follow the seat belt buckles' electric lead to under the seats, the driver's side lead will terminate in a square blue 4 pronged connector that is housed in the outermost position within the seat plug connection. The passenger's side lead is green.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• 1 month later...

Just to finish the story, the dealer installed a "grounding kit" instead of the second buckle. Apparently they have the kits lying around because this happens often. ;)

Since then, about a month, no light, and my wallet is a couple of hundred dollars lighter. No warranty, but obviously should be one. Well, what can you do? At least there's no light. For now, BWAHHHHHAAAAA!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Just to finish the story, the dealer installed a "grounding kit" instead of the second buckle. Apparently they have the kits lying around because this happens often. ;)

Since then, about a month, no light, and my wallet is a couple of hundred dollars lighter. No warranty, but obviously should be one. Well, what can you do? At least there's no light. For now, BWAHHHHHAAAAA!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Erik:

Thanks for the update. I hope that the dealer charged you a little less than the "repair" they did on the driver's side. The wiring that has to be updated with the wiring kit is less involved than that required on the driver's side, not to mention the cost of the second buckle. If they didn't give you a break, you can point it out to them the next time you visit, and maybe they can give you a break.

Nonetheless, it is good news that you no longer have that light on. It's very distracting and it potentially desensitizes you to the lighting up of any of the other warning lights. I know I was relieved to get rid of the light.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a MY99 996 Cab with the dreaded airbag light on as well. Upon further investigation, it seems the car has a bit of history with the dealer. Evidently, the buckles have never been replaced. It seems like a fairly easy task to me and one that I'm willing to try on my own.

There are several organizations (e.g., Pelican Parts) that sell the buckles for significantly less than the dealer (~$120 vs. $350). In addition, it seems logical that if I were to buy a used set (say out of a MY03) they should work as well in accordance with the TSB.

Any thoughts?

Rotor sends.

• Admin
I have a MY99 996 Cab with the dreaded airbag light on as well. Upon further investigation, it seems the car has a bit of history with the dealer. Evidently, the buckles have never been replaced. It seems like a fairly easy task to me and one that I'm willing to try on my own.

There are several organizations (e.g., Pelican Parts) that sell the buckles for significantly less than the dealer (~$120 vs. $350). In addition, it seems logical that if I were to buy a used set (say out of a MY03) they should work as well in accordance with the TSB.

Any thoughts?

Rotor sends.

You need to do the buckles and the ground wires under the drivers seat.

Theoretically the later buckles should be the gold plated ones - let us know how they work out.