Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I found a PIWIS for sale on the internet. Would this work here in the US or what would I need to make it workable? Do I need to connect a laptop to this? The following is from the company offering it for sale:

Original Tester for Porsche,support Diagnosis/Programming/Coding/Key Programming

The PIWIS Tester is a modular, portable diagnostic, information, and measuring system.

The unit contains a computer, hard disk with installed software,LCD display,and a

Lithium-ion battery.

A virtual keyboard and a USB mouse is available for operation in addition to the

tracer pin for the LCD touch screen.

Data and measured values can be printed using the USB-interface with an external

printer.

The LCD display is used as the display. An external monitor can also be connected.

The PIWIS Tester and the accessories are housed in a protective case.

Package include:

1-PIWIS Tester

2-Case

3-OBD Porsche Diagnostics cable

4-Tracer pin

5-Y-connection piece to connect the PIWIS Tester and the DVD drive to the power pack.

6-Ground cable with terminal

7-Cables for the multimeter (for future expansion)

8-Power pack with German power cord

piwis

Joe

I would also be very cautious. We get one or two Bosch KTS650 units (the hardware on which the PIWIS is based) appearing on eBay UK every week. Always from sellers with zero feedback, a description and photo taken straight from the catalogue, and usually a suspiciously low price. 9/10 are scams.

My advice is to be very very careful.

A new PIWIS from Porsche is $18,000.

There have been many software updates - so check the version.

There is one on eBay right now for $20,000 (the price is ridiculous because it is higher than US list).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-PIW...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah and how about the number of sales this guy has made not to mention the catchy name! ;-)

Meet the seller

Seller: ferrari_599_gtb_fiorano( 0 )

Member: since Dec-01-06 in Philippines

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What looks ok to you? I think it's a scam....

It's out of China right? Here's the deal... there are two ways this happens.

1.) Most electronic companies out source their manufacturing to guess where? China.

2.) Most electronic companies look into out sourcing their manufacturing to guess where? China.

In both instances, the Chinese companies at some point get access to the design.

Now what happens is that they will make one modification to the design, give it a new name, and call it thier own design. This happens all the time. Even in their automobile industry, they copy from everyone.

Kicker is, their stuff isn't subpar either; most of their manufacturing is ISO9000 compliant; who do you think builds most of the worlds electronics.

I've dealt with this first hand with some electronic components that they supposedly wanted to purchase for consumption. So a design team came up with a design and prototype and took it to China to demo. The Chinese company turned down the design and said that they opted to not go ahead with the project. Unbenowst to the designers, the Chinese copied it, made 1 small change, and started producing it as their own design and started reselling it to other actual consumers. Nice eh?

If you search, you'll find that they have already done that to Apple's I-Phone too. In that case they actually made some improvements.

So the PIWIS's you see are legit clones.

Guest carpediemgr
What looks ok to you? I think it's a scam....

It's out of China right? Here's the deal... there are two ways this happens.

1.) Most electronic companies out source their manufacturing to guess where? China.

2.) Most electronic companies look into out sourcing their manufacturing to guess where? China.

In both instances, the Chinese companies at some point get access to the design.

Now what happens is that they will make one modification to the design, give it a new name, and call it thier own design. This happens all the time. Even in their automobile industry, they copy from everyone.

Kicker is, their stuff isn't subpar either; most of their manufacturing is ISO9000 compliant; who do you think builds most of the worlds electronics.

I've dealt with this first hand with some electronic components that they supposedly wanted to purchase for consumption. So a design team came up with a design and prototype and took it to China to demo. The Chinese company turned down the design and said that they opted to not go ahead with the project. Unbenowst to the designers, the Chinese copied it, made 1 small change, and started producing it as their own design and started reselling it to other actual consumers. Nice eh?

If you search, you'll find that they have already done that to Apple's I-Phone too. In that case they actually made some improvements.

philippines and zero feedback it's a nice way to loose your monay

like from chine rolex with genuine price of 15000$ selling for 1000$ a nice way to loose 1000S

you buy excactlly what you pay for ....

keep this advice

you know in phillipines is difficult to find a bottle of jack daniels :))

maybe with a radiotelecope you may look some porsches in the other way in states ,may be need a piwi to repair these porsche at the other earth half ))

Edited by carpediemgr

• Admin
I don't think so. Bosch makes the PIWIS for Porsche and they have defended their intellectual property quite often.

PIWIS is made in Germany and the volume is so low that I seriously doubt someone would take the time to copy it.

Then there are the updates - dealerships/OPCs get updates nightly on the Porsche network.