Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Chipping - any merit to this discussion

Some of the author's points would seem to be logical, however I find it somewhat incredulous that an entire aftermarket industry that brings in millions of dollars would base their profits on a process and product that was overly detrimental to your engine. It would also suggest that Porsche or any other manufacturer for that matter.....would be justified in voiding a warranty based upon the chipping or flashing of an engine.

What I do find interesting is the concept that it's all tied together and in order to get more power you need more air to mix with more fuel, bigger/better fuel pumps, larger turbos, bigger valves etc etc. All that simply means a lot more $$$$ so that you can get from stoplight to stoplight faster? For the racing crowd I can see the logic....but for the streeters, it's just feeding egos at the expense of your VISA and potentially the longevity of the engine. But in the final analysis...and given the fact I'm not an automotive engineer, it's just my opinion.

What I do find interesting is the concept that it's all tied together and in order to get more power you need more air to mix with more fuel, bigger/better fuel pumps, larger turbos, bigger valves etc etc. All that simply means a lot more $$$$ so that you can get from stoplight to stoplight faster?

I guess this is reflected in the prices of the stage 1/2 vs 4/5 kits available today....

• 3 weeks later...
What I do find interesting is the concept that it's all tied together and in order to get more power you need more air to mix with more fuel, bigger/better fuel pumps, larger turbos, bigger valves etc etc. All that simply means a lot more $$$$ so that you can get from stoplight to stoplight faster?

I guess this is reflected in the prices of the stage 1/2 vs 4/5 kits available today....

Even though I have a Porsche service business, ECU programming and my opinions tend to put a burr in peoples saddles. I mean no harm, just reality. The Turbo has always benefitted with a "small" increase in manifold pressure due to the way the factory is conservative with OEM pressures. The factory runs their tests VERY hard prior to introducing a new model. A "typical" increase of 2-3 lbs makes a very nice improvement. Many of our clients run hard at the track, where ambient temps can soar....this few pounds has not caused typical detonation problems, especially with higher octane fuel.

The normally aspirated engines have a very good program(s) built in. I've seen minor improvements on engine dyno's, yet on the track or street the improvements are very marginal. ANY time you increase boost, there will be a noticeable improvement. This has been the typical case for decades on the Turbo. More aggressive manifold pressures MAY be tolerated in short bursts with a cold intercooler on the street, NOT on the track under strenuous driving conditions. We have changed many P/C sets and heads on 996 Turbo's due to that particular set of circumstances. My biggest "peeve" with the 996 Turbo is the lack of limited slip and the continuous brake application necessary with PSM under rigorous driving. With all the money people spend on upgrades, why they don't get a GT2 is amazing. NOT to mention, trying to sell it after all those mods. Mark