Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone have experience with the 3M product (I think they call it the invisible bra or something). Seemed like a good idea, but I talked to a guy at the local body shop about doing the install. Said he could do it, but recommended against it. Said it was prone to discolor and crack.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Anyone have experience with the 3M product (I think they call it the invisible bra or something). Seemed like a good idea, but I talked to a guy at the local body shop about doing the install. Said he could do it, but recommended against it. Said it was prone to discolor and crack.

Any thoughts? Thanks

What color car? I have seen nice results on about everything but white. I actually ended up with both the 3M and Ventureshield, and I think you would like the Ventureshield better. It's much more flexible, so even the installers liked it better for the bumper, and it is more clear too. Try a google for other opinions!

The cheaper stuff can tend to yellow , even the OEM protectors on the rear wheel arches have a tendency to yellow and discolour. Paintshield or one of the other main suppliers are probably the best to go for , ideally the 3m stuff. There are now kits available for complete coverage of the front hood and fenders so the tel tale line where the film stops are no longer visible. Compared to a new paint job the kit does make sense and keeps the OEM paint which tends to be harder than the refinising paint applied at a local spray shop. Of course it can be removed if you so wish at a later date.

I would recommend Venture film. Venture was bought out by 3M a while ago. After doing some research, I had Venture film applied to 66% of my 2008 C2S. It is barely noticeable. As for discoloration and cracking over time, it's too early to tell on my car. But it's probably the best thing I can do for the car. I drive 45 miles everyday on some bad highways and I can already see benefits.

I highly recommend a clear bra. Yes it will probably yellow over time, but it will also prevent chips and dings on your hood. I've got a friend with a Honda S2k who didn't do a clear bra, and after two years his hood was a mess. If you decide to do it, find out who the best installer in your area is. There will probably be only one or two guys who can really do a good job. The installer makes a big difference.

I highly recommend a clear bra. Yes it will probably yellow over time, but it will also prevent chips and dings on your hood. I've got a friend with a Honda S2k who didn't do a clear bra, and after two years his hood was a mess. If you decide to do it, find out who the best installer in your area is. There will probably be only one or two guys who can really do a good job. The installer makes a big difference.

Get the Autobahn guys to do it, and ask for the "racing version"....it goes up the hood a lot further to cover about 75% of the way, and that

1) Protects more of the hood and

2) Makes the otherwise "normal" 3M line that's visible and highly noticeable virtually invisible, since the eye doesn't see it up there unless you REALLY look for it, for whatever reason.

I've had it on since I bought the car new and it freaks people (and custom shop owners) out. They always do a triple-take looking for "the line" with the racing version :) It's a few hundred bucks more, but well worth it.

The salt and sand of the New England winters also requires it, IMO, and I drive my 997 C4 Cab (with winter wheels and hardtop) through the winter.

Damon

Edited by dcooper

I understood that version was called the "track" version, and the racing version goes all the way back over the driver/passenger door. I had the "track" version of the 3M put on my 07 C2s. It covers the front bumper, full hood, front quarter panels all the way back to the doors, A pillars, headlights and driving lights.

I love it - it takes a lot of worries away for me, about damage to the car. I will be tracking my car (a lot) so it was the only sensible thing to do.

Following photo of the car shows you how the film looks. Right ... what film??

There are some things to be aware of ...

1. with the 3M product, there is still a line across the hood due to the size of the product roll that they deal with. That line, though, is about 2 inches off the top edge of the hood (near the windshield) so what in fact I have is a small triangle of product on each corner of the hood. I can live with that -- MUCH less visible than the 1/3 up line, especially on a black car.

2. Having said that, my installer is waiting for a new product to come in (maybe the one mentioned above) and he is going to replace my hood coverage - he made a mistake on it and so it needs to be replaced anyways. We agreed to wait and he will put this new product on. Apparently there is less orange peel effect in it, as well.

3. So, point #3 ... the installer is critical. My guy here in Vancouver (Jurgen at Downtown AutoSpa) has been frustrating to work with, but worth the effort - he made a mistake on the first hood install, leaving tiny bits of debris under the film. The only solution for that is to replace the film, which he is prepared to do, and to upgrade the film at no charge to me. So shop wisely!

post-4812-1196780682.jpg