Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Actually I re-did the fix with John L tip to use #31 O-rings. It was to stiff, my wife could not use it :-). So I removed the nylon spacers and switches to #31. Compared to #48 then are a bit smaller ID/OD. #48 is 5/8"OD x 3/8"ID x 1/8" wall and #31 is 9/16 in. O.D. x 5/16 in. I.D. x 1/8 in. Wall. So it just perfectly fits on internal rubber "tube" which get bolted to the wheel frame and does not fall off when you assemble the whole thing. Now the horn is back to normal feeling and you can actually press it with your fingers. Cost is $2, I've got the o-rings from OSH. You need long T30 screwdriver though. I've got one from Harbor Tools for like $10. $12 total cost compared to $87+tax+shipping for the new part and I've got to keep the screwdriver set :-).

• 1 month later...

Bummer, tried he gasket approach twice and finally just ordered a new airbag bracket. Now the horn stays on constant. Had to pull the fuse. took the airbag and bracket out and unplug the braket, and darn horn still goes off. what's the deal?

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Boxster 2000 and my horn doesn't work. The horn sounds with the key fob but not when pressing the horn center of the wheel. But, whoever had it before me had swapped the manual transmission horn for a horn from an automatic transmission car so I have the triptronic buttons on either side.

When I pull the airbag I see the yellow plug for the airbag and I see another black plug with two prongs inside coming from the left side of the wheel. I also see a plug with a thin black wire plugged in near the bottom of the wheel, a brown wire plug plugged next to it both on the lower right quadrant. I have a black plug at the horizontal 9:00 position (middle left side connected to the bracket).

First question - will the automatic steering wheel connect electrically on the manual transmission car and the horn work?

I can remove the bracket with no harm/if I remove will I have to rebuild the bushings?

Second - does any one have a color picture that shows the correct wiring routing?

Third - how do I test the bushing issue as related in this forum - they seem pretty stiff to me as I cannot not seem to press them.

I have included pictures of my situation - hopefully someone has some ideas.

Thanks so much,

--Joe

post-82019-0-71695000-1340471886_thumb.j

post-82019-0-05828000-1340471895_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

This forum is great!!

My silicon is currently drying. This is my first Porsche (ever) and I must say that my 1st experience has not been a pleasant one. I purchased my 2000 Boxster (only 25000 miles on it) this past December (had the pre-purchase inspection done by the Porsche dealer) and I've already put $2100.00 into a car that I only cost me $15000. German engineering is starting to get a bad rap in my book :cursing:

• 5 months later...

Same random horn issue on my '98... getting worse fast...

Like another member wrote last year, I have read through this thread a few times, still unsure how to start removing the airbag. I understand the whole doesn't have to come off, but where do I find the initial screws to remove the airbag... after disconnecting the battery ;). Thanks!

The srews that remove the airbag are on the back side of the steering wheel. They are tough to inially loosen. Below is a photo from ToolPants that shows how to get the needed leverage. The tool or driver has a 30mm torx head, I use the one on the far left except I use a pair of vice grips to grab the handle tightly. Since your coming from the back you loosen by turning the driver clockwise.

I've replaced a few faulty horn bushings and the best bet is a total replacement or new bracket with factory installed bushings from the good folks at Sunset Porsche.

air_bag_tool_zps23887c33.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

Thank you for the quick reply. I saw the screws after I sent the post but better to be sure. So unplug the (-) on the battery, then place the key in the ignition to unlock the steering and remove these screws. Found the bracket number but anyone have a contact at Sunset (or the site) to order from. I saw a price earlier in the thread that mentioned $45. The lowest I see online is about $71. Thanks again :)

Edited by Nader

Yes, disconnect the negative side (driver's side) of the battery, wait a couple minutes. Some say 10 minutes, then insert key to move steering wheel so that the screw is somewhere bewteen 4:00 and 6:00 o'clock. Sunset's contact information is on the top of the main menu on this site under "Special Offers". I paid $65.00 or so last August. Ask for Bob or Phil.

• 1 month later...

the sagging bushings cause the horns to be on permanently or when you go over a bump. Yours like mine dont work at all. I also have the clicking. I bought new horns and am plannig on replacing and hopefully that will solve the problem. New horns are relatively inexpensive. Unfortunately I live in the Northeast and with the weather have not had the opportunity to work on the car in the driveway.

• 1 month later...

I cannot get the cover off. I was able to unscrew one T27 torx but the other is stripped inside where the torx wrench goes. I am figuring I will have to drill the had off then pull the cover off from the front of the steering wheel. Unless anyone has a better idea? Anyone know the part numbers for these 2 screws? The 2 that screw in from the back of the steering wheel that hold the front cover on? I have a 4 spoke wheel and tiptronic.

• 2 months later...

I was experiencing the "horn problem" and it appeared to be not only the horn button but the horn mountings grounding out as well. Then I parked the car at work (in the sun, sorry) and around 5 hours later got a call from the Sheriff that my "car was causing a nuisance because the 'alarm' was going off constantly and was 'obnoxious' ". I went out to the car, but no noise. Horn didn't work either, and driving is much more fun now. Haven't checked the fuse yet because driving without the horn going off is so pleasing. However, I'll be repairing the problem shortly. Thanks to all of you for the solutions, as the local dealer expected me to be a hedge fund manager.

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I have 2001 Boxster S. I am currently experiencing problem with the horn. Both horns Hi & Lo are in working order and horn fuse is in good shape as well. The problem is: while the key NOT in the ignition, the horn beeps as it suppose to function. however, once key in the ignition or the car running, horn is dead. Key Switch have been checked by my Porsche independent tech, yet it was not the problem. The tech said that the airbag is shown inactive or unrecognized by durametric system analysis, which may be causing the horn not to function. I am hoping to know for certain what is the problem, any ideas??

Perhaps a short? There is a plug in the horn/air bag area. Have you removed the airbag module/cover from the steering wheel and checked the connections? Not to belittle but make sure to follow the process well documented here.

Also - do you mean the horn beeps when you lock the car or does it work when you press on the horn without the key on? If beeps when you lock then something is open - trunk, hood, console, after market radio, etc. AND the alarm system uses a different horn.

If works without the key when you press on the horn and not with the key when you press on the horn I would suspect a disconnect or small short.

• Admin

Hello Everyone,

I have 2001 Boxster S. I am currently experiencing problem with the horn. Both horns Hi & Lo are in working order and horn fuse is in good shape as well. The problem is: while the key NOT in the ignition, the horn beeps as it suppose to function. however, once key in the ignition or the car running, horn is dead. Key Switch have been checked by my Porsche independent tech, yet it was not the problem. The tech said that the airbag is shown inactive or unrecognized by durametric system analysis, which may be causing the horn not to function. I am hoping to know for certain what is the problem, any ideas??

Here is what another member with the same problem found...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/14923-horn-only-works-when-car-off/?p=80697

• Admin

That tells you likely have a problem in the steering wheel airbag and horn area.

Whether from previous work or just normal wear and tear - the car is 12 years old after all.

Make sure the key is OUT of the ignition when working on the steering wheel as the airbag circuit is active when the key is in the ignition (even in OFF position).

• 3 months later...