Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rattles, rattles and more rattles

Is it very common to hear noises coming from interior over time? I have had my C4S for about 1 year now and it seems like things have gone downhill over the last few months. Don't know if the weather changes -- hot to cold have made things worse. I had to have the headliner fixed in the rear window joint; apparently it had become unglued and making annoying noise. I would expect a high end car like 911's to be a little better built. My other car is an A8L and no noises whatsoever... The suspension is very different b/w the 2 but still... Thanks for any input.

If you search this forum, you will find many posts regarding various rattles, buzzes, and creaks that seem to appear (and sometimes disappear!), many seemingly without reason.

I have had my MY02 C2 for just under two years now, and I think I have been generally lucky (knock wood) in terms of rattles and such, but I am very sensitive and have noticed (and repaired) the following:

1) constant "buzzing" sound coming from passenger door area = removed door panel and tightened a loose speaker screw, which was rattling against metal

2) similar intermittent "buzz" coming from driver's door area = removed door panel and could not find any loose screws or such - instead, I covered most of the inside of the door with Dynamat, then did the same for the passenger's side, for good measure = buzzing sound(s) gone

3) creaking sound from front windshield area = cleaned and lubricated between the windshield and rubber seal on the outside of the car (search this forum and you will find a step-by-step for this) = creaking gone

4) rattling in my sunroof = lubed the rails (including far back inside where the sunroof slides into the roof when open) - then I opened and closed the sunroof about 25 times in a row to work in the lube = no more rattle

5) today, I further eliminated some minor creaking from the passenger compartment by treating the rubber door seals with a german product called "Gummi Pflege", which I ordered from AutoGeek (you can buy it at the local Bimmer dealership for 8X the price)

As for the effects of changing weather, it is generally agreed that rattles and creaks associated with these cars are magnified as the ambient temperature decreases.

I hope none of this scares you away. From what I have read and experienced, it is true that these cars do develop noises, which is very annoying--as you pointed out--because the cars are NOT inexpensive. However, if you don't mind a little research and experimentation (including reading related TSB's on this site), you should be able to drive in a relatively quiet cockpit after all.

Chris

Edited by ntrylvl

Thanks for your input Chris. I love the car, no doubt about it. I think things have gotten worse since I took delivery of my new Audi A8L-- talk about buttery smooth! Definetely not as much a driver's car, but I wish we had a little bit of this polish in our 911's! I find myself driving the 911 more than any other of my cars and truly enjoy it. I am having issues with where the suede headliner meets the rear window. I took it to the dealership were for $300 they basically reglued I believe. It worked OK for a couple of weeks but the dreaded noise is back. I have tried to research it, but to no avail. Any ideas anyone?

• Moderators

What noise is it on the head liner? Do you have a slide roof? The head liner near the rear window is mounted with a sort of click system behind the rear transverse of the roof panel, how is glued with special glue to the roof panel. In some cases they can come loose and you hear a drum noise. It can fixed perfectly. If you have a slide roof, it can happen that the liner of the slider hit the head liner on the back while driving on ruff roads with sliding roof closed, in this case you can test it while driving just push the liner up with your fingers.

If you search this forum, you will find many posts regarding various rattles, buzzes, and creaks that seem to appear (and sometimes disappear!), many seemingly without reason.

I have had my MY02 C2 for just under two years now, and I think I have been generally lucky (knock wood) in terms of rattles and such, but I am very sensitive and have noticed (and repaired) the following:

1) constant "buzzing" sound coming from passenger door area = removed door panel and tightened a loose speaker screw, which was rattling against metal

2) similar intermittent "buzz" coming from driver's door area = removed door panel and could not find any loose screws or such - instead, I covered most of the inside of the door with Dynamat, then did the same for the passenger's side, for good measure = buzzing sound(s) gone

3) creaking sound from front windshield area = cleaned and lubricated between the windshield and rubber seal on the outside of the car (search this forum and you will find a step-by-step for this) = creaking gone

4) rattling in my sunroof = lubed the rails (including far back inside where the sunroof slides into the roof when open) - then I opened and closed the sunroof about 25 times in a row to work in the lube = no more rattle

5) today, I further eliminated some minor creaking from the passenger compartment by treating the rubber door seals with a german product called "Gummi Pflege", which I ordered from AutoGeek (you can buy it at the local Bimmer dealership for 8X the price)

As for the effects of changing weather, it is generally agreed that rattles and creaks associated with these cars are magnified as the ambient temperature decreases.

I hope none of this scares you away. From what I have read and experienced, it is true that these cars do develop noises, which is very annoying--as you pointed out--because the cars are NOT inexpensive. However, if you don't mind a little research and experimentation (including reading related TSB's on this site), you should be able to drive in a relatively quiet cockpit after all.

Chris

Chris, I'm curious how you came to consider yourself "generally lucky in terms of rattles." Your creeks and rattles are the worst I've ever heard of, short of dragging your transmission over rocks. I'm also super sensitive to the rattles in my door (and passenger seat!!!) and your solutions are by far the most comprehensive I've seen. Man, you really went the distance! I look forward to determining exactly where the rattles are originate from so I can tackle them. Many P-owners seem complacent and accepting of this annoying and completely unnecessary flaw.

Team996,

I primarily mean lucky in that I have been able to troubleshoot and eliminate/eradicate all of the most annoying sounds, generally with minimal effort. A lot of the information is here in this forum, in various posts, and many of the fixes can be determined by following basic logic. The most complex projects involved removing the door panels, which is not complex at all if you take it step by step. I have also known many p-car owners who look at me funny and give me the "it's the nature of the beast, sports cars are made to rattle" routine when I share my stories, but I simply cannot accept such an expensive and beautiful vehicle being just 98% wonderful. I want 100%--that's what I paid for. So I figure if I can make that extra 2% happen, then I can stop whining and enjoy the car more, and--of course--help others by sharing my experiences.

Good luck in your quest. If you can't find/fix any of your car's "character" sounds by anything I have listed above, let me know. I may be able to help.

Chris

Edited by ntrylvl

Team996,

I primarily mean lucky in that I have been able to troubleshoot and eliminate/eradicate all of the most annoying sounds, generally with minimal effort. A lot of the information is here in this forum, in various posts, and many of the fixes can be determined by following basic logic. The most complex projects involved removing the door panels, which is not complex at all if you take it step by step. I have also known many p-car owners who look at me funny and give me the "it's the nature of the beast, sports cars are made to rattle" routine when I share my stories, but I simply cannot accept such an expensive and beautiful vehicle being just 98% wonderful. I want 100%--that's what I paid for. So I figure if I can make that extra 2% happen, then I can stop whining and enjoy the car more, and--of course--help others by sharing my experiences.

Good luck in your quest. If you can't find/fix any of your car's "character" sounds by anything I have listed above, let me know. I may be able to help.

Chris

I am convinced they all rattle and creak - i took it to the dealer and they greatly quieted it down, but it is never going to be lexus vault quiet...

There are several TSBs from Porsche on noises (creaks, buzzing, rattles, etc. etc.).

Most of the fixes are as simple as Teflon or felt tape.

Stupid question here: What's a "TSB?" "Trouble Shooting Board?" Am I close, and how can I find these P-TSBs? Thanks Loren!

There are several TSBs from Porsche on noises (creaks, buzzing, rattles, etc. etc.).

Stupid question here: What's a "TSB?" "Trouble Shooting Board?" Am I close, and how can I find these P-TSBs? Thanks Loren!

You can gain access to the TSB section when you become a Contributing Member, with a donation.

TSB= Technical Service Bulletin

You can gain access to the TSB section when you become a Contributing Member, with a donation.

TSB= Technical Service Bulletin

Is this Opus Dei? Was Santa going to tell me how things really work in the secret society a select few have come to know as "Congregatio Memberaris Contributario?" Does my wife have to submit to jus primae noctis with board members when I get married?

I'd like to join Opus Renn. I think it's shady that I'm only now hearing about this cult, though. I love cults.

What noise is it on the head liner? Do you have a slide roof? The head liner near the rear window is mounted with a sort of click system behind the rear transverse of the roof panel, how is glued with special glue to the roof panel. In some cases they can come loose and you hear a drum noise. It can fixed perfectly. If you have a slide roof, it can happen that the liner of the slider hit the head liner on the back while driving on ruff roads with sliding roof closed, in this case you can test it while driving just push the liner up with your fingers.

This is exactly it! How do you fix it for good? The dealer reglued it and put some sort of foam, but the noise is back albeit much less than before. Thanks

• Moderators

montegoblue

The best is to remove the old foam and re glued completely, between the transverses ( from the front to the rear ) you can glue damper material, the same stuff you find in the doors on the inside of the outer metal panel. Looks like roofing material. The drum noise is 100% gone if the job is done well.

PS Never buy a GT3RS if you hate this noise.

Regards.

RFM--

Thanks for your input-- since I didn't do the original repair, what are the steps i need to do in the future? Are there any DIY pics out there? A step-by-step would be greatly appreciated by myself and fellow forum members experiencing this inconvenient rumble.

• Moderators

I have no pics available at the moment, but it's easy. You have to remove the head liner, starting-point is the front side trim left and right, sun visors, interior light and the complete front trim. Than go to the rear and pull out the rear side trim left and right, just pull them out of the way it's not nessesarely to remove the trim completely, there is room enough. Unhook the head liner from the rear transverse and you can see the first metal rib which hold the liner tightly stretched, pull the rib gently out of his fixation hole side by side, the ribs are lightly buoyant. Do the same with the other ribs toward the front windshield. The complete roof panel is now accessible. Reassembly in reverse Enjoy!