Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Fluid Leaking

Hi,

I walked out to my car at work this morning, after having driven in 14 miles from home a few hours ago, and there was a puddle of a thin, oily fluid under the drivers side tail pipe. Looking closer, it appeared that there was the thin, yellowish oily fluid dripping from the underside of the tail pipe, not from out of the end of the pipe, but having dripped from above it. It appeared to be dripping from some body work above in the pipe, but I haven't been able to see exactly where from yet.

Oh dear.

Anyone got any ideas? I haven't started the car yet, but the brake pedal feels normal, the master brake level in the front of the car is around half full, and there is no fluid from anywhere else on the car. It doesn't appear to be clutch fluid (what does that look like?).

I find it strange that brake fluid would be leaking that far back in the car though...

Thank you for any help. I guess I will get it booked into my local Porsche guy for this afternoon, but any info you can give would be much appreciated.

-James.

post-20264-1197564643_thumb.jpg

post-20264-1197564650_thumb.jpg

post-20264-1197564716_thumb.jpg

Sorry, forgot to say, my car is a '99 C2. No mods, 36K miles. Brakes have always worked well (as does the ABS), but require a fair bit of force to get severe stopping power.

Here's a couple of pictures from a little road-trip into the Everglades on Monday, just because I like posting pictures of my car. :)

-James.

post-20264-1197565107_thumb.jpg

post-20264-1197565183_thumb.jpg

post-20264-1197565203_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I walked out to my car at work this morning, after having driven in 14 miles from home a few hours ago, and there was a puddle of a thin, oily fluid under the drivers side tail pipe. Looking closer, it appeared that there was the thin, yellowish oily fluid dripping from the underside of the tail pipe, not from out of the end of the pipe, but having dripped from above it. It appeared to be dripping from some body work above in the pipe, but I haven't been able to see exactly where from yet.

Oh dear.

Anyone got any ideas? I haven't started the car yet, but the brake pedal feels normal, the master brake level in the front of the car is around half full, and there is no fluid from anywhere else on the car. It doesn't appear to be clutch fluid (what does that look like?).

I find it strange that brake fluid would be leaking that far back in the car though...

Thank you for any help. I guess I will get it booked into my local Porsche guy for this afternoon, but any info you can give would be much appreciated.

-James.

James,

SOunds to me to be a leak from the coolant reservoir tank which is located on the passenger side in the engine compartent. DO a search and you will see it is a common problem and probably requires replacing the tank. How do you know the leak is brake fluid vs coolant?? Easy check for tank is to see if tank is low or have your garage pressure test the system and that will confirm coolant leak and location. demosan

Thanks Demosan,

My coolant tank was replaced on my car, when it was new, maybe twice. But I will double check - should I see lots of coolant in the overflow tank? This fluid is quite oily, the coolant shouldn't be oily should it? I did feel under the reservoir tank filler area, and it didn't feel wet. But I couldn't get underneath the tank itself.

-James.

James,

SOunds to me to be a leak from the coolant reservoir tank which is located on the passenger side in the engine compartent. DO a search and you will see it is a common problem and probably requires replacing the tank. How do you know the leak is brake fluid vs coolant?? Easy check for tank is to see if tank is low or have your garage pressure test the system and that will confirm coolant leak and location. demosan

Edited by jamesgood72

Thanks Demosan,

My coolant tank was replaced on my car, when it was new, maybe twice. But I will double check - should I see lots of coolant in the overflow tank? This fluid is quite oily, the coolant shouldn't be oily should it? I did feel under the reservoir tank filler area, and it didn't feel wet. But I couldn't get underneath the tank itself.

-James.

James,

James,

It should be easy to see in your coolant reservoir as to whether the coolant is low as a result of possible leaking. There is a "full mark" on your coolant tank for cold and hot. If you do have a leak in tank, it may be a small one if your tank has already been replaced recently, although there is no guarantee of this. Best indicator would be checking level in tank.

On the other hand, if the leak is brake fluid, then you should see an indicator light soon informing you blake fluid is low. Get the car checked ASAP as either leak could be problematic if it isn't diagnosed and repaired soon.

Demosan

Yes, thanks guys, the garage today told me it was almost definitely the coolant tank. Seems to be the third one on this car! I guess the glycol seemed oily to me, and that threw me off. Any ideas how much you would think it would be to replace that? I'll let you know when I hear from the guy. The good thing is, it explains why the car smelt hot when I stopped. I never noticed water leaking onto the ground before, but you could smell it. This explains that.

He's going to balance the tyres, change the oil, and replace my pollen filters too. I feel my Christmas bonus being spent already... :)

der meister : the plate doesn't mean anything, it's just a standard florida 'Challenger' plate. Thanks for the pics comments!

-James.

Hey James, yes it does sound more like coolant. Hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks for sharing the great pics, and cool rocket on your license plate, ha.

btw, what does your plate mean?

Edited by jamesgood72

OK, so $760 is what they're charging me to replace the coolant tank. Does that sound reasonable? Sounds expensive to me, but I guess I have to get used to Porsche maintenance prices...

$140 to change the pollen filters, and $200 for the oil change. I elected to do the pollen filters myself.

-James.

Thanks, Loren.

Oh well, I paid for it all... We live and learn. I should have spent the weekend trying to do this. Still, he also replaced the oil separator hose, said that had collapsed.

Here it is, all installed :

post-20264-1197682993_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesgood72

Sorry, forgot to say, my car is a '99 C2. No mods, 36K miles. Brakes have always worked well (as does the ABS), but require a fair bit of force to get severe stopping power.

Here's a couple of pictures from a little road-trip into the Everglades on Monday, just because I like posting pictures of my car. :)

-James.

what up james

i like posted pictures of your car :D

couldn't have selected a better porsche color and awesome SHOTS! maybe you have larger size images you can pm me?