Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New engine pricing

I need an engine and have heard $4500 price tag, but when called my dealer they are $6500.

Whats the lowest you've gotten just the engine for even if it is just short block where I can install all the accesories. Where there any hoops they required you to jump through like service histories or warrenty's you needed to get that price.

Have you contacted the folks at Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost)?

No have not yet. Thanks Loren

Update Suncost at presant $8500 exchange (without shipping) had price increase because of falling dollar.

Edited by Mother

My porsche 996 carrera 2 is currently back with an independent dealer as it has developed a fault. The dealer stated that on purchasing 996's from Porsche he quite often sees invoices as low as £250 for new engines in the car's records!

Apparently Porsche are aware of the early 996 engine weaknesses and give huge subsidies if customers kick up a fuss and threaten legal action/loss of future custom. Maybe they offset these subsidies with the odd unfortunate customer paying £7,000!

All the best, Chris. :renntech:

• 2 months later...

Let's bring this back to the top since I'm looking for an engine as well. Los Angeles Porsche Dismantlers is selling 996 engines for $6500 used. I'll definitely pass on that.

Mother - which dealer did you call and got the $6,500 quote for an engine? Lowest I've seen is Sunset at $8,400 plus shipping.

Well, I've had mixed responses when I asked that same question. On another board, members have said that rebuilding will be cost prohibitive as special tools are required which will total about $1,000 in addition to parts and machine work. However, there's a member here that said rebuilding these engines isn't that much different than any other engine. I'll just get another engine just to get back on the road and then take my time in rebuilding my core. I would still like to know which dealer Mother called that quoted $6,500.

Well, I've no experience rebuilding a Porsche engine but it can't be THAT complicated despite being a flat-6. I've rebuild V-6 & V-8 motors, some of which I could probably do in my sleep even after not doing that kind of work for nearly 20 years.

Besides the basic metric sockets, wrenches and perhaps a torque wrench or two and an engine stand, I can't imagine the tools being too expensive. After all, if you're going to rebuild the core it may be worth it to give it a whirl.

Mother, what's wrong with the engine you're replacing?

Rotor

Let's bring this back to the top since I'm looking for an engine as well. Los Angeles Porsche Dismantlers is selling 996 engines for $6500 used. I'll definitely pass on that.

Mother - which dealer did you call and got the $6,500 quote for an engine? Lowest I've seen is Sunset at $8,400 plus shipping.

I called porsche scottsdale, but he (service manager) was just kinda guessing, I also called suncoast in oregon. Still have not got mine yet maybe we should do a group buy. How's you're results coming?

Well, I've no experience rebuilding a Porsche engine but it can't be THAT complicated despite being a flat-6. I've rebuild V-6 & V-8 motors, some of which I could probably do in my sleep even after not doing that kind of work for nearly 20 years.

Besides the basic metric sockets, wrenches and perhaps a torque wrench or two and an engine stand, I can't imagine the tools being too expensive. After all, if you're going to rebuild the core it may be worth it to give it a whirl.

Mother, what's wrong with the engine you're replacing?

Rotor

I had problems with my RMS leaking after I explained that they used the wrong/or dated tool originally and they changed the IMS seal also. After airing greviences they bleed my brakes and checked Alternator and did not charge for parts so they excepted some responsibilty anyway.

Well figuring I would move on with life drove my car out and at first stop light noticed a unbalanced vibration feeling on take off and accelerating I was going to turn around take it back but after talking with them just wanted to get out of there and home and maybe it would settle in.

Well going up my street decided to give it some more gas .....bad move and that... was ...that ... it vibrated terrible and something sounded like it broke so pulled in my driveway leaving a stream of oil and there she sits with about a cup of oil under the eng, I had no idication of failure no idiot lights and water temp was about 170 degrees. I called the shop she said she was scared and I just said I was depressed I now spent $700 bucks on a seal that was not my fault and sounds like a blown engine to boot. My best guess is intermediate shaft went.

Edited by Mother