Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 gt3, looking to buy one

fve

Hi. I am (almost) completely virginal w/r to posting on any board--i posted a similar question on another board. I have followed several over the years, just never felt the need to spread my seed, so to speak. Anyway, i am breaking my silence. I would kindly ask for some feedback from those in the know. I am looking to purchase a 2004 gt3. I will spare you the reasons for this decision, etc. I have seen several posts on this and other forums regarding particular things to look out for: overrevs, excessive suspension wear (indicating hard track use...), etc.

The particular car i have an interest in has an issue: the second gear synchro is worn and needs to be replaced.

1) Is this a common issue with the gt3 transmission?

2) Does it mean that the current owner drove the car like a ponce? I know that the second gear synchro often shows the most wear due to imprecise or "sub-optimal" shifting, but is this a flaw with the transmission?

the synchro is currently being replaced by a porsche dealer and i will drive the car once this is done. However,

3) should there be anything else w/r to the transmission that is of long-term concern or things that I should pay particular attention to when driving the car?

4) the replacement is apparently to take 10-14 days. I was told that the length of time has to do with amount of time to get parts from fatherland. Is this excessive or is this typical. Could it mean that more than the synchro is shot?

I would greatly appreciate you input and you interest in my situation. Thanks. :huh:

fve

• Admin

:welcome:

1. Not unusual - but not too common either. I have heard of a few.

2. The previous may or may not have abused it. They should be able to tell when they open it up and see the other gears.

3. As far as I know 2nd gear is the problem gear.

4. That would depend on where you are located - some dealer stock GT3 parts for their racing customers others on order when needed.

BTW... 10-14 days is pretty good from Germany. Try waiting 6-10 weeks for special Exclusive options (i.e. leather, etc.).

Have them go through the transmission and hopefully give you a warranty on it and then enjoy the car.

• Moderators

Hi fve....and Welcome!

I own an '04 GT3 and they are Great Cars. I echo and support Loren's comments above. The GT3 gearbox is based on the box from the 993 GT2 twin turbo race car and is strong and well built......and, is rebuildable, unlike the Aisen (Asian sourced) boxes in the standard 996/986/997/987 cars. Porsche has disallowed Aisen to supply parts for them to rebuilders and would prefer to just replace them at factory option. You should have a look at the clutch and RMS while they are working on the box. Now would be the time to attend to any wear or leaks in that area. The GT3 gearbox is a very strong unit (if one does not abuse it) and should last a good long time. It is nearly identical to the boxes in the Turbo's and GT2's.

thank you both. The car just makes me swoon. I am just trying to make sure that i make a reasonable decision and not get carried away with emotion. If all goes well and nothing else becomes an issue...perhaps fortune will smile upon me and she will join the family.

• 3 weeks later...

what up

dude, i got an 02 996 c2 cab and wished i had waited to get 05 gt3 997. so nice! i've seen many 05 gt3's for sale (many still at dealers for around $80-100k usd.)

don't forget to do your rms job when the gears get replaced

Edited by 420 Tecra

• 11 months later...

RMS is not as big a deal as on the 996, but they have been known to go. While the trans. is out, it is easily seen, and easy to replace if there is any problem. I would also ask them to check the LSD. They are also prone to wear, and you might even get them to replace the pucks under warranty. The biggest expense with those is getting to them. Another "while you are there" option is LWF and new clutch.