Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just got finished reading Hartech's write up on 3.4 and 3.6 engine issues. Very informative. The bottom line seems to be that almost all of these engines will fail due to a thin wall and liner. It seems every engine they look at has "creep" or a ovaling of the cylinders. Long story short, our engines will seize/crack/explode from 50k - 150k miles. Not so bad if you make it to 150..but damm, It bothers me to find out they manufactored these things with such a weak spot! Basically have to calculate 10-15 grand in the near future. This article also makes the super charger issue seem closed. If these liners will distort and crack with normal loads then they will have a quicker trip to engine death with one installed. Anyone else read this article? Thoughts?

http://www.hartech.org/buyers.html

Part 4 contains the 996 engine issues pdf

I just got finished reading Hartech's write up on 3.4 and 3.6 engine issues. Very informative. The bottom line seems to be that almost all of these engines will fail due to a thin wall and liner. It seems every engine they look at has "creep" or a ovaling of the cylinders. Long story short, our engines will seize/crack/explode from 50k - 150k miles. Not so bad if you make it to 150..but damm, It bothers me to find out they manufactored these things with such a weak spot! Basically have to calculate 10-15 grand in the near future. This article also makes the super charger issue seem closed. If these liners will distort and crack with normal loads then they will have a quicker trip to engine death with one installed. Anyone else read this article? Thoughts?

http://www.hartech.org/buyers.html

Part 4 contains the 996 engine issues pdf

I think you have to keep in mind they are also in the business of selling maintenance plans hence some of the comments within the write ups! So I would not say all engines and cars are effected.

yes..i was thinking about that when reading it. Plus, it's funny how conclusive he makes the impending denoation of our 996 engines, but then states at the end that most cars run perfectly fine! Oh well. Probably a bit of truth in there somewhere, but your point is well taken. I just hope I don't have to shell out 10 grand in a few K miles!

Is this just specifically the Carrera engines (i.e. not dry sump, TT & GT3 etc)??? This is one of the many reasons i chose to continue the Porsche warrantee (up to 9 years or 125k mls). Its OK for little things to go, but £895/annum for the warrantee is a small price to pay if the engine/gearbox/turbo's etc etc (anything pricey, especially with the labour) die.

Whether the article is a real indication or not, these engines especially the price you pay for the vehicles should be alot more reliable than they appear to be?? Correct me if i'm wrong?? And its not as though they are developing well over 100bhp/litre too.

yes..one of the first articles I read. Your right though, oil changes, updated maintainance and paying attention to your powerplant will go far for any car, but the hartech article seemed to point to a rather 'impending' design flaw. I thought getting over 200k on a porsche wouldn't be a problem considering every mercedes, audi and even volkswagon(long live the sciracco) made it to over 200k at least! oh well. still love the car - not mad at it:)

bmohr

• Admin

Folks there is a thread here of people that have well over 100,000 miles on their Porsche's and I think a couple with over 200,000 miles.

IMHO - All of these articles should taken as they are "an opinion" not a statement of fact.

If you look at any car maker from Jeep to Mercedes to Ferrari - they all have some problems.

Let me assure everyone that as an ex owner whose engine failed at 62000 with a FULL MDPSH and oil changes etc and not ever a single drop of oil or water lost......these things go "BANG" and that's it without any warning.

And if anyone wants to feel the sickening feeling that you get in the stomach when you get the call to say that your engine is toast...then I'd suggest you buy one of these ticking time bombs and wait......

It may be only a small percentage and I think everyone understands that mechanical parts can fail over time - but this is now a well documented researched issue and these engine fail for one of three common reasons.

And...

Porsche changed the design in the 3.6 - now I wonder why?

It's bull and they should own up. Let's face it the wouldn't be the first company to do a recall late in the life of a vehicle or to offer some form of assistance.

Does anyone remember the 993 engine wiring loom recall - it took a lot of campaigning in the US but eventually they gave in.

Porsceh profits last year 3.0 billion?

Edited by JohnJStewart

i've read your posts john. So i know your pissed. The reason I'm even poking my nose around this subject is because I've been noticing "milk chocolate" like stuff in my oil tube. Nothing in the coolant reservoir. The car has no leaks and drives great, but I the milk chocolate/orangish looking film/puddle in my oil tube seems to match alot of other peoples issues right before they got the news of a blown engine. So obviously I was trying to do a bit more in-depth research to see what are the best and cost effective options out there "in case" my engine follows similar failure patterns. For now I'm just going to start by draining my oil this weekend and get a good look at it. If it looks good I will try to forget the anxiety fueled obsession i've created by reading these many similar posts and especially Hartechs write up. Sorry to stir the hornets nest!! lol

bmohr

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am annoyed. The good news for you I think is that it's quite common to have the orange gunk in the oil filler tube. If you think about it - this gets hot and then cold and so you do get condensation which mixes with any lube in the tube.

I don't think this is anything to worry about.

I've heard that as long as you have plenty of long runs to keep the engine warn each time you use it you might lower the odds of a failure. I ownder whether the large number of short trips I did caused the issue, although the problem actually occurred after a big long trip.

Who knows. Damm Porsche for their attitude.

i've read your posts john. So i know your pissed. The reason I'm even poking my nose around this subject is because I've been noticing "milk chocolate" like stuff in my oil tube. Nothing in the coolant reservoir. The car has no leaks and drives great, but I the milk chocolate/orangish looking film/puddle in my oil tube seems to match alot of other peoples issues right before they got the news of a blown engine. So obviously I was trying to do a bit more in-depth research to see what are the best and cost effective options out there "in case" my engine follows similar failure patterns. For now I'm just going to start by draining my oil this weekend and get a good look at it. If it looks good I will try to forget the anxiety fueled obsession i've created by reading these many similar posts and especially Hartechs write up. Sorry to stir the hornets nest!! lol

bmohr