Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lowering Springs and Shocks

Looking for feedback from people as to how you lowered your car and what kind of ride quality your getting. I love the way a lowered Porsche looks but my wife and I do a lot of weekend "Road Trips" logging 1500 miles or so. Don't really want a rough ride.

By the way, we've had several Vettes and they don't come close to the comfortable ride of the 996.

R.

I don't have first hand experience yet, but from what I've read, I decided to go with the RoW M030. I'm expecting a modest drop of 10-20mm. My understanding is that the ride firms up a bit, but is still quite comfortable. The other option I considered was PSS9s, where you have adjustability for ride height and firmness. I contemplated X74 suspension that can drop the car up to 40mm, but I hear it's a very firm ride and my roads are just too rough.

I tried just changing the springs on my 99 cabrio. Used Eibach springs all around, for about $300 (DIY project) the car lowered about an inch all corners, ride quality "felt" close to stock. But I did notice driveway scraping of front more noticeable.

I have the M030, the US version, and the ride quality is much stiffer, and great for track days.

I found a reely good article on the PSA website but it didn't address aftermarket springs and shocks. I am considering the Eibach springs but my previous experience with Eibach springs with factory struts/shocks (non p-cars) have given me really stiff rides.

Anyone else out there with experience with the Eibach products?

See attached link to the PCA website for the article.

http://www.pca.org/panorama/sample_article_3.html

R.

I lowered my car with HR springs. It's the second time I've done it on a 996. The first was a 2000 996, the second a 2002 C4S. The results are similar. In both cases I did not change the stock shocks. The car is an inch or slightly lower, and the ride is only very slightly firmer. Still a great ride but a definite improvement.

I lowered my car with HR springs. It's the second time I've done it on a 996. The first was a 2000 996, the second a 2002 C4S. The results are similar. In both cases I did not change the stock shocks. The car is an inch or slightly lower, and the ride is only very slightly firmer. Still a great ride but a definite improvement.

How big of a DIY job was that, k996c4s? Did you have to have a special spring compression tool? Im not sure Ive seen any pics on this DIY and wonder if this is something I could do myself with normal tools...

How big of a DIY job was that, k996c4s? Did you have to have a special spring compression tool? Im not sure Ive seen any pics on this DIY and wonder if this is something I could do myself with normal tools...

You will need a compression tool to remove the springs and shocks, I have ROW030 with HR Springs and the car tacks very well, specially at the DE , is a ltle rough on the highway but the control is awesome

How big of a DIY job was that, k996c4s? Did you have to have a special spring compression tool? I'm not sure Ive seen any pics on this DIY and wonder if this is something I could do myself with normal tools...

It wasn't. I've always shied away from suspension issues, and surely can't do the necessary alignment after the spring install. I think I paid about $300 for the springs, and about $1,000 for the install and alignment from a local shop. I've found the local shop does the alignment best, and takes the time to ensure the adjustments on each side are not only within spec, but very close to each other. As I mentioned earlier, the ride is not harsh, but the car definitely handles better.