Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID bulb question

Hi,

I'm interested in swapping out my stock HID bulbs for 6000k bulbs.

Is it D1S bulbs that I'm looking for? Is there anything I should be concerned about when making this change other than the colour of the light as I've already read up on the pros and cons of whiter light.

TIA

Cheers,

Stan

Just realized that I wrote bulg instead of bulb in the topic line. Won't let me edit it!

Edited by stanm5

Here is a list of all bulbs used for 996/997, with the litronics headlights, according to sylvania:

2002 PORSCHE 911 (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

Low beam headlamp

HID-D1S

High beam headlamp

H11-55W

Parking light

Front turn signal

7507AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

7507LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear turn signal

7507AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

7507LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Tail light

7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light

7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light

H3-55W

H3ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

License plate

6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light

7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Glove box

Map light

3886X

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

There are some minor changes between the 996 and 997 on bulbs. Mainly in the fog lights and parking lights.

Hi,

Is it D1S bulbs that I'm looking for? Is there anything I should be concerned about when making this change other than the colour of the light as I've already read up on the pros and cons of whiter light.

TIA

Cheers,

Stan

Just realized that I wrote bulg instead of bulb in the topic line. Won't let me edit it!

Are you really willing to give up forward night vision in favor of impressing oncoming drivers, drivers you will likely NEVER meet..??

4300K is the closest "color" available that matches our sun's spectrum and human eyesight has had eons to adjust to taking the most advantage of that.

• 1 month later...

Well said!!! Why doe NO ONE seems to get this!!

Hi,

TIA

Cheers,

Stan

Are you really willing to give up forward night vision in favor of impressing oncoming drivers, drivers you will likely NEVER meet..??

4300K is the closest "color" available that matches our sun's spectrum and human eyesight has had eons to adjust to taking the most advantage of that.

Well said!!! Why doe NO ONE seems to get this!!

Look, I asked for advice regarding the TYPE of bulb I needed and asked for nothing else. In fact I even went as far as to say that I had read up on the pros and cons of whiter light.

Why you or anyone else feels the need to critique my choice is beyond me??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's with multiple ! or ? or the dreaded ????!!!!!! I guess you thought t would help to make your point???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by stanm5
Removed LARGE type face