Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBD 11 scanners

Can anybody tell me please if a 1999 porsche 996 is OBD11/EOBD compatible, I want to buy a auto scanner tool. Does any of you have any experience with these scanner?

By the way, I must congratulate you all , this is a great forum. ( I am a new member and new 1st. owner of a Porsche )

Best wishes to you all

Takapuna

Can anybody tell me please if a 1999 porsche 996 is OBD11/EOBD compatible, I want to buy a auto scanner tool. Does any of you have any experience with these scanner?

By the way, I must congratulate you all , this is a great forum. ( I am a new member and new 1st. owner of a Porsche )

Best wishes to you all

Takapuna

Welcome to the forum -- I agree that it's a great forum. Regarding your OBD2 scanner question, all cars made or sold in the US since 1996 have to be OBD2 compliant. For a scanner, I would recommend the Durametric tool -- it's a great tool for the money and you can download free software updates. Check out http://www.durametric.com. The low priced scanners just read the P0xxx emission codes but the Durametric reads these plus all the other computers in your Porsche and you can watch actual values of various sensors.

No, I'm not part of the company and don't receive any commisions -- I just bought one for my Boxster and I love it!

Regards,

paul....

Best wishes to you all

Takapuna

Welcome to the forum -- I agree that it's a great forum. Regarding your OBD2 scanner question, all cars made or sold in the US since 1996 have to be OBD2 compliant. For a scanner, I would recommend the Durametric tool -- it's a great tool for the money and you can download free software updates. Check out http://www.durametric.com. The low priced scanners just read the P0xxx emission codes but the Durametric reads these plus all the other computers in your Porsche and you can watch actual values of various sensors.

No, I'm not part of the company and don't receive any commisions -- I just bought one for my Boxster and I love it!

Regards,

paul....

The Durametric can also turn off the airbag light, which the scanners cannot do. I agree it'a a very useful tool.

Regards, Maurice.

I started with the autoengenuity tool. It is very similar to the durametric tool. Unfortunately it was too complicated. It was great for reading OBDII codes but it also returned a lot of other information that you have to be a real expert to interpret. Even after searching the web and looking for books, most of that stuff was incomprehensible.

Then I contacted autoenginuity and asked them if they could recommend a source for interpreting and using all the info and they basically laughed. They told me that it was for "real" mechanics and if I did not understand it that they could not help. Nice guys.

Their tool worked for awhile, then stopped. I loaded their software on a different laptop and it still did not work. I emailed them twice and got no reply. I called them and they asked me to send them the diagnostic log which I did. They did not call me back so I had to call them again. They said that they found nothing wrong in the log... that whatever the problem was it was basically my problem. End of story, case closed, goodbye.

So I ended up with a $225 paperweight. I would encourage everyone here to avoid autoenginuity.

I then went out and bought a $39 OBDII reader which works flawlessly. It reads the codes, which I can then look up the details on here. It clears the codes too. It may not clear airbag codes (I dont know), but I havent needed to clear any airbag codes so no problem.

Edited by vette67

Best wishes to you all

Takapuna

Regards,

paul....

Best wishes to you all

Takapuna

Regards,

paul....

I have had a couple, one is Autoengenuity for palm, and OBDII Reader for palm. I have had no problems with the palm or pocket pc version, Vette, not sure if the issue was the laptop one. Regardless, sounds like they treated you badly. I have had a few emails unreturned from them, but for the most part no issues.

I like the palm one because it gives me more toys to play with. A palm M505 would do the trick. I now have a new palm TX with the Autoenginuity and a lap timer loaded into it. So I use the PDA for all car stuff, maintenance logs, etc. I take it to the track and the WiFi works as well to stay connected.

I will post the lap timer set up in a different post.

I have had a couple, one is Autoengenuity for palm, and OBDII Reader for palm. I have had no problems with the palm or pocket pc version, Vette, not sure if the issue was the laptop one. Regardless, sounds like they treated you badly. I have had a few emails unreturned from them, but for the most part no issues.

I like the palm one because it gives me more toys to play with. A palm M505 would do the trick. I now have a new palm TX with the Autoenginuity and a lap timer loaded into it. So I use the PDA for all car stuff, maintenance logs, etc. I take it to the track and the WiFi works as well to stay connected.

I will post the lap timer set up in a different post.

That sounds really cool Izzy!

Re: autoenginuity maybe it was a laptop issue, but that is why I loaded it on a different laptop and it still didnt work. I understand that autoenginuity is not in the laptop configuration business but this product was designed to run on one so you would expect at least some basic troubleshooting from them. In my case they didnt even try. They suggested that my OBDII port might be bad.. but the fact that my little $39 scanner works flawlessly proves that wrong. Personally, I think their cable went bad. But they denied that.

Edited by vette67

Get the Durametric, it works!!! It does not cost any more than the other discussed here and it has specific capablilites for the Porsche. I bought mine 2+ years ago, when they were only about $179, but a the current price of $247 it is still very competitive. Yes a standard OBDII scanner is much cheaper, but it does not have the same function. Durametric stand behind there product, keeps updating the software which is free to buyers, and adding functions.

Like the other poster I have nothing to do with Durametric, I am just a happy customer.

I have the Innova 3100a it is an inexpensive scanner that lets you read the codes and decipher them. It comes with some useful software to download the codes to your PC and create a nice report. It also supports the CAN protocol. It is worth looking at .... make sure you get the 3100 "a" it has update software and more features than the older "c" model

http://www.levineautoparts.com/eqobdiicodre.html

• 10 months later...

I bought Autoenginuity software for my 1998 Boxster. It never worked. Autoenginuity could only suggest I used an earlier version of their software with less features. This did not work either. It showed faults like no modules were connected for things like the central locking (whcih was working perfectly). They then said as my car was not a North Amercian car it wasnt OBD compliant and the software wouldnt work anyway. I sent the plug back and they refused to refund me. They said it was my fault as I should have known this, and refused to honour tier warranty.

However the features not working were the non obd ones! Their support is almost non existent and they are extremely arrogant. Definitely not a compnay to do business with.

Durametric uses the Porsche protocols to communicate and hence works properly.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought Autoenginuity software for my 1998 Boxster. It never worked. Autoenginuity could only suggest I used an earlier version of their software with less features. This did not work either. It showed faults like no modules were connected for things like the central locking (whcih was working perfectly). They then said as my car was not a North Amercian car it wasnt OBD compliant and the software wouldnt work anyway. I sent the plug back and they refused to refund me. They said it was my fault as I should have known this, and refused to honour tier warranty.

However the features not working were the non obd ones! Their support is almost non existent and they are extremely arrogant. Definitely not a compnay to do business with.

Durametric uses the Porsche protocols to communicate and hence works properly.

Yes, that was exactly my impression of AutoEnginuity too. They treat you like an idiot. I've still got their $$$ paperweight. I gave it to my brother (a BMW and Porsche mechanic) and he couldnt get it working either. It obviously has a bad cable. But AutoEnginuity refuses to do anything about it and cops an attitude like they are doing me a favor by answering the phone. I think I'll file a BBB complaint on them Monday. Avoid this company like the plague.

Edited by vette67