Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Pse From Default "open" To "close"

Hi,

The PSE Electronics is set up for default 'open', meaning when starting the car, the exhaust is loud. I would like to change it to default 'close', so i have to switch PSE on. Has anybody done this already ? Or, has somebody got the electrical schematic for the PSE ?

Thanks,

Eddy

Loren, When my car arrives later this month, It will have the factory PSE. In order to have the default set to closed at start, and open by the switch, are you saying that all I have to do is turn the black and white check valve around?

• Admin
Loren, When my car arrives later this month, It will have the factory PSE. In order to have the default set to closed at start, and open by the switch, are you saying that all I have to do is turn the black and white check valve around?

Changing the check valve just reverses how it works from the factory. So, to have full control via the switch you need to perform the mod here

Thanks Loren, yes it is a factory installed PSE. I probably also have to do the "cutout" modification, if not, the valves will open between 40 - 70 km/h.

Loren,

I have a problem in locating the Check Valve. In my 04 4S the vacuum reservoir is mounted much more to the front of the car. The vacuum lines to the mufflers run to the back, where they are split to the left and right muffler. One vacuum line which i guess have to go to the check valve, runs behind the engine ( towards the front of the car ) Question, where does each side of the check valve go ?

Best, Eddy

post-2-1084161402_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
The gray item in the center of your picture is the solenoid. If you follow the black vacuum lines one should go to the check valve.

Hi Loren,

I have a 2003 UK Spec 996 C2 with factory fitted PSE and switch. I'd also like to have the PSE default to QUIET/CLOSED without having to press the switch every morning.

I've had a look at your mod with swapping the vacume one-way valve, but I think this will permanently stop the control.

Looking at that picture, one side of the one-way valve is connected to the inlet manifold and the other is connected to the vacume reservoir and the PSE muffler valve.

I think reversing the one-way valve will just stop the reservoir filling (if you can fill something with a vacume!!!!) and stop the PSE valves opening.

Has anyone done this and it work ? Is the vacume reservoir used for anything else ?

I just can't see how reversing a one-way valve on a vacume line will work, surely it will just stop things all together.

Cheers

Paul

I think reversing the one-way valve will just stop the reservoir filling (if you can fill something with a vacume!!!!) and stop the PSE valves opening.

Has anyone done this and it work ? Is the vacume reservoir used for anything else ?

I just can't see how reversing a one-way valve on a vacume line will work, surely it will just stop things all together.

Cheers

Paul

Paul, that's exactly what I thought. AFAIK the check valve is there to prevent air from flowing back. By reversing it you just wouldn't be able to build up the vacuum for the flaps to operate (to quiet).

Just my 2 cents.

Thorsten

Edited by toddel68

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I own a 996 C2 3.4 with PSE installed also with the electical part (switch and so on...).

I tried to invert the check valve but it doesn't work (the PSE is always ON)...

:( Please help me... I live in Switzerland and I have a technical control at the SAN (DMV for you ???) this week...

The car is very loud with PSE mode ON... so I have to start the car with PSE OFF.

:( Please help me... I live in Switzerland and I have a technical control at the SAN (DMV for you ???) this week...

The car is very loud with PSE mode ON... so I have to start the car with PSE OFF.

I don't get it. Isn't the factory-like PSE approved by authorities in Switzerland? I was at the TÜV here in Germany last week and when they fired up my car those engineers started laughing. They think it's funny that the PSE is legal but never really questioned the fact. I didn't even bother to switch on the speed cut-out since they don't testdrive it.

Thorsten

I don't get it. Isn't the factory-like PSE approved by authorities in Switzerland? I was at the TÜV here in Germany last week and when they fired up my car those engineers started laughing. They think it's funny that the PSE is legal but never really questioned the fact. I didn't even bother to switch on the speed cut-out since they don't testdrive it.

Thorsten

It SHOULD be...well it's a bit risky on a car that does not have factory installed PSE (furthermore on a 3.4).

Someone had to remove his exhaust after a db level test... they do what they want at the SAN (TUV)...

Edited by Mendrax

• Moderators

Mendrax

Connect the vacuum line going to the mufflers direct with the line on the opposite side of the grey valve to have always vacuum ( quiet ).

After you visit to the SAN reconnect to original.

Mendrax

Connect the vacuum line going to the mufflers direct with the line on the opposite side of the grey valve to have always vacuum ( quiet ).

After you visit to the SAN reconnect to original.

Thank you very much RFM... I see the mufflers direct line but what grey valve (Electrovalve ???) ?? Could you please show me on the pict ?