Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster story

A sweet story. I shop for about a year for a 1997-99 Boxster, which has recently been classed in SCCA ITR - I race there regularly in a GT 1 Super Production stock car.

I find a sweet looking Boxster in Natick MA - Silver with a hardtop installed, 72K miles clocked, a hole in the front valance and a nice nick on the right rear quarter wheel well and told by sales the rear plastic convertible window is shot. Drive the race car hauler up to Natick MA and after putting the car on the lift at Honda of Natick, the dealer selling the car, I buy it. I asked the salesman, "too good to be true, car is mint, spotless underneath, stamped book - what's the catch? Car has the two blemishes and wouldn't sell in a wealthy community, we dug it out of a snowbank to sell it." I pay a great price and enjoy the heck out of it for 3 months. During the three months I clean this car up and fix the blemishes. I book some DE dates to warm up for the upcoming season with SCCA GT1 and enter into a PITA brake and rotor job. Another recent thread. Anyway, finish the brake upgrade, carefully test the brakes the night before and am driving the car to work the next day.

On my way to work I am forced into a spin by several crossing deer and whip around on wet, rainsoaked pavement. Go into the woods backwards and after hitting an oak, I do the washing machine spin into a few trees. Car is a Porsche and I walk away with no real injuries. I'm fine other than a bloody nose from my hand - must have been off the wheel - not sure if the dodge was worth it and sorry to the animal rights folks. I've put about 600 miles on this car since I bought it.

Today I pick up from my local insurer a settlement check for $19,800 - less than a week after this accident occurred. Outstanding service from my insurer and proof that a Porsche in excellent condition retains its value like a champ. Buy good insurance too. This also proves that if you do your research carefully, you can find a fantastic Porsche at a great price. You must also have the cash on hand to act.

After looking for 12 months for the last car I see yesterday on ebay a 1997 Black Boxster with 59k miles for $12.500. I've negotiated a price of $11,500 - the rear window just split (after Porsche of Hunnington installed a new top in 2007). Car has New Dealer clutch also and 60K service. This presented a very fair price reduction from the seller.

I have placed a significant deposit on this car: eBay auction ended

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4.cWAT.m240.lVI

So I did make a rare prayer to my Lord that I do deserve this good fortune. And if anybody thinks this car is a POS, post it.

Keep your Boxsters in great shape - cheers\

PS - what was the deal with 97 Boxsters not running wheels bigger than 17? I bought a 97 when they first came out and remember that.

benspeeder

Edited by benspeeder

that 'new' Boxster looks good. no problems that i can see. although, i'd prefer clear headlights because if you want to upgrade to clear headlights it will cost quite a bit (~$1400 new - and that's for non-Litronics!). but if you're happy with the amber headlights, no problem. but i honestly wouldn't pass on a great deal just because of the headlights. ;)

did you end up making money on the first Boxster? did you keep the hardtop?

as far as swerving or not to avoid the deer, the end result would have probably been the same (totaled), except you might have had a deer for a passenger. :lol:

good luck with the new Boxster!

PS - what was the deal with 97 Boxsters not running wheels bigger than 17? I bought a 97 when they first came out and remember that.

benspeeder

IIRC, the 18” wheel option was first offered in 1998 with a reinforced to handle the additonal stress caused by the larger new wheels.

The rear wheel wells and coil spring mounts, along with the front lower engine compartment bulkhead, and the rear axle mounts were also advertised as being reinforced.

I don't think this becomes an issue, unless you are pushing the car to its limits. From what your intentions are for racing this car, I would do some more research before plunging in to 18" wheels.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks guys - I made a massive amount of money on this but don't want to post for fear of my insurer reading and getting upset. I'll PM you with the amount.

The car will definitely see track use, but the rules are wheels remain 17s so I suppose I won't upgrade, but I will push the car to the limit. I'll have my local Porsche race shop look into if it needs any reinforcing and can that work be done for a nominal cost. It would be against the rules but in this instance safety trumps rules and I doubt there is much if any performance advantage.

The insurer paid me over $2000 for the hardtop so I won't take it - who can sell me one? New Boxster is black. I'm heading to the for sale section to see if there's anything local I can buy.

Getting the Porsche dealer pre purchase inspection done today on the car - pick it up tomorrow. No grass grows under this racers feet. :-)

Thanks guys - I made a massive amount of money on this but don't want to post for fear of my insurer reading and getting upset. I'll PM you with the amount.

The car will definitely see track use, but the rules are wheels remain 17s so I suppose I won't upgrade, but I will push the car to the limit. I'll have my local Porsche race shop look into if it needs any reinforcing and can that work be done for a nominal cost. It would be against the rules but in this instance safety trumps rules and I doubt there is much if any performance advantage.

The insurer paid me over $2000 for the hardtop so I won't take it - who can sell me one? New Boxster is black. I'm heading to the for sale section to see if there's anything local I can buy.

Getting the Porsche dealer pre purchase inspection done today on the car - pick it up tomorrow. No grass grows under this racers feet. :-)

Ben:

A minor point... I noticed in the eBay ad that the seller depicts the car as having "side air bags" as a feature. I was under the impression that MY97 cars did NOT have side air bags. Mine's a 97 and does not have them.

Regards, Maurice.

You are correct sir - no side impacts on a '97.

Just got the results of the PPI - rear main seal leaking badly - this deal is cancelled. Hope the guy will return my deposit.

Always pays to have a PPI done by a Porsche dealer.

i don't know if i'd consider a leaking RMS a deal-breaker. if you are getting a good enough deal on the car and you made money on the other Boxster, putting $1200 into it for a new RMS isn't too bad. or maybe you could get the guy to take $1200 off the price to account for the new RMS.

you probably have a 50% chance of *any* Boxster you buy eventually having an RMS leak. you might as well have the seller 'pay' for it now. ;)

You are correct sir - no side impacts on a '97.

Just got the results of the PPI - rear main seal leaking badly - this deal is cancelled. Hope the guy will return my deposit.

Always pays to have a PPI done by a Porsche dealer.

i don't know if i'd consider a leaking RMS a deal-breaker. if you are getting a good enough deal on the car and you made money on the other Boxster, putting $1200 into it for a new RMS isn't too bad. or maybe you could get the guy to take $1200 off the price to account for the new RMS.

you probably have a 50% chance of *any* Boxster you buy eventually having an RMS leak. you might as well have the seller 'pay' for it now. ;)

Better yet...Ask the owner to get the job done in a dealer under the extend warranty he holds on the car! That way the seller only has to pay for the deductible and you will be sure that the RMS replacement is done correctly! Also you will see what this warranty he claims to have is all about!

The car looks great by the way...

Good luck,

Gus

Good suggestions - the car that was mashed was so mint - I will hold out like a virgin for the next one the is similar. I got the sense from the dealer that the car was a rat. Swaybar links all worn out - that means it was driven hard for the miles on it. Bunch of other problems too. They always look better in the pictures on the web

I may have to go S - got the dollars - and I could race it in T2 in SCCA.

OK - we have a new Boxster. After my '99 was totalled I had that settlement money burning a hole in my pocket - especially since spring pricing is now being observed - less dealer desperation.

Purchased 1998 Silver and Black Boxster with hardtop, extra mint - brand new condition, underside of car spotless, new brakes and Hankook tires, 65K miles, 2 owner. Paid $15.7K. Bought the sales manager's personal car at Acura of Westchester - a high end dealership. Golt a basic used car warranty for 60 days.

Let's see if Pocono has still got some slots available......

Chris, this sounds like a crazy high number! Statements like this boarder on irresponsible. You may be right, and I might be wrong. But it does sound very high. :)